Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks for pruning the Bounty Hunter thread which can be found by clicking here

2. Collapse Details

Earlier today I was watching our Gurnsey 88 - the UIM World Championships held over 3 days there in 1988. Many Aluminum Cats, V bottoms - all racing in really ROUGH WATER - - they did not call the race - I viewed it on DVD - what a difference from the VHS format I sold - it looked closer to High Deff - for those of you that want to watch really rough water racing - with famous boats, V Bottom and Cats - I strong suggest you contact either Charlie McCarthy or Rich Luhrs - to get this DVD - a MUST for a cold winter's day - Merry Christmas to all (that know me) -

Phil

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    Earlier today I was watching our Gurnsey 88 - the UIM World Championships held over 3 days there in 1988. Many Aluminum Cats, V bottoms - all racing in really ROUGH WATER - - they did not call the race - I viewed it on DVD - what a difference from the VHS format I sold - it looked closer to High Deff - for those of you that want to watch really rough water racing - with famous boats, V Bottom and Cats - I strong suggest you contact either Charlie McCarthy or Rich Luhrs - to get this DVD - a MUST for a cold winter's day - Merry Christmas to all (that know me) -

Phil

It seems like the thing to do in the cold weather. The other night I was watching the Northport, MI races from 84 and 85, as well as the Pt. Pleasant 85 race. The rough water was a blast. Phil, I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt when I say that your coverage was so far superior to anything shot today. You really get the feel of the speed and the conditions. For those out there that have never seen an NNRT filmed race (and I can't imagine there are many) pony up and get some. I promise you will not be disappointed.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    It seems like the thing to do in the cold weather. The other night I was watching the Northport, MI races from 84 and 85, as well as the Pt. Pleasant 85 race. The rough water was a blast. Phil, I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt when I say that your coverage was so far superior to anything shot today. You really get the feel of the speed and the conditions. For those out there that have never seen an NNRT filmed race (and I can't imagine there are many) pony up and get some. I promise you will not be disappointed.
    Hello Rob -

Thanks for your Kind words - I viewed on line the other day a video clip - so many special effects -sped up, slow motion - wonderful music - and little of what I would call OFFSHORE RACING - in OPEN Ocean conditions - Gurensey 88 showed true ROUGH WATER conditions - the way many people in Europe see the Ocean all the time. I think many of the racers of today would stay on the dock, if they had to race in the conditions people raced in the early days of Offshore. People - see for yourself - get the DVD from Charlie McCarthy at HOBRA or contact Darren or Rich Luhrs - ask for the Guernsey 88 - its 20 years old - but priceless - an oh for those that think I get something out of it - I DONT - However- those that buy it - WILL !

5. Collapse Details

I just want to say thank you to the oldtimers on here that share all this great history. I'm still very new to offshore boating, so i tend to keep my mouth shut and just read alot in this section. I fell in love with the big offshore's as a kid in the early/mid-80's when there used to be races on Lake Michigan from Saugatuck to Grand Haven. We always seemed to be in town on vacation that week and it was just awesome to hear them and wander the docks. Would be curious if anyone can tell me about those races and whatever happened to them.

6. Collapse Details

Have a great holiday phil

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUTCH RYAN View Post
    Have a great holiday phil
    Hello Butch - Merry Christmas to you too - I often see the photo of your boat under the Brooklyn Bridge with the World Trade center behind in Manhattan. Many wonderful memories of those days- seems like yesterday too -

Thank you for your support back then -

Phil

8. Collapse Details

i kept the old race boat and kicked the old lady to the curb

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post

Northport 200 1985 . . . you guys are on page 47

shirt no longer fits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-14-08_0014.jpg  
    Last edited by glassdave; 12-14-2008 at 01:33 AM.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

10. Collapse Details
    Maltese Magnum Twin
    Here's an ambitious restoration.

http://www.proprider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273

11. Collapse Details

ambitious may not be the right word for that one

Gonna be very cool when fininshed though

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ryan8886 View Post
    i just want to say thank you to the oldtimers on here that share all this great history. I'm still very new to offshore boating, so i tend to keep my mouth shut and just read alot in this section. I fell in love with the big offshore's as a kid in the early/mid-80's when there used to be races on lake michigan from saugatuck to grand haven. We always seemed to be in town on vacation that week and it was just awesome to hear them and wander the docks. Would be curious if anyone can tell me about those races and whatever happened to them.
    the owner of coral gables committed suicide and that about finished the great races

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I was asked to survey the Quam 43' Scarab after the nose fell off. It looked for the world like they had used the 38' stringer set. They didn't reach the bow, but ended at the forward bulkhead. I think all of those boats broke. Major HYDROFUBAB. (Hydrodynamic f**kup beyond all belief).
    Or just making it as light (and fragile) as possible .... aka disposable racers... just like all them Americas cuppers and anything out of Colin Chapmans design (Lotus Racecars).

14. Collapse Details

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    That thing is cool!. . . not sure if its 190K cool but still pretty damn cool none the less .

DaVinci carbs, BW trans and Patterson headers . . . . thats some old school stuff right there
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

16. Collapse Details

It used to be here in west michigan on a hydro lift in Whitehall, it a very cool race boat.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    This WAS Craig Barrie's race boat......but the price is about 100 high.....
    Ryan Beckley

18. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    HORBA has been in touch with a party over in England that has one of Don Aronow's original 28 foot Magnums.

Don had two identical boats, one sterndrive and the other outboard, that he used to win the 1967 World Championship. He had these boats towed all over Europe and sold them to parties over there when the season was over.

Someone is undertaking the restoration of one of these boats and you can see here what he is starting with.

He is looking for any photos of the deck area, cockpit area or anything if those original boats. HORBA sent him what we had of the boats, but in resto's like this, the more info he can get the better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08MM2%20031LwRes.jpg   Maltese_Magnum_Twin_at_Bookham%20043LwRes.jpg   08MM2%20028LwRes.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

19. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Here are some of the original boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (20).jpg   Donald aronow0015.jpg   Donald aronow0016.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

20. Collapse Details

Charlie,

Straight this out for me please. It was 3 "#4 boats" right?

1 outboard #4
    1 twin inboard shaft's #4
    1 single inboard sterndrive #4
    ?

My little (big) investigation tells me this is the twin inboard "#4" and how she looks today.

Thanks
    Mange
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tor-01.jpg