Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Tickfaw 200 Y'ALL!
    So…how often does a great adventure emanate from a single text message? This one certainly did. I actually laughed in a somewhat scoffing manner when I received said text from one Bob Zubik back in March. “Check it out,” I said to my wife, “BZ wants me to go on a Poker Run in Louisiana in May.” To her credit, she responded “I think you should go.” Sometimes I need that little extra push to get me to leave my everyday life, and the more I thought about it, the more plausible it seemed…so after a week or so, I called him up and said I was IN. Our crew went through a couple fluctuations, with people saying yes and backing out, or really wanting to go but not being able to pull it off, but finally settled on BZ, Dennis (Obnoxus), myself (redhotsommer), and, finally, after realizing she still had remaining personal days left for this school year, my lovely wife Michelle.

Logistics were handled, hotel was booked, food and drinks packed and ready, and at 4am on Thursday May 4th, we were rolling south in Den’s dually pulling BZ’s 42 Fountain. It’s always good when a trip like this is uneventful, and this one was exactly such. 14-1/2 hours (and a whole lot of 93 octane) later, we pulled into Hammond, LA and immediately began to sweat. Heat and humidity usually don’t occur until late June or July for us in the Chicago area, and stepping out of the air conditioned truck into 91 degrees and 100 percent humidity was quite the shock to our winter-adjusted systems. We gassed up the boat and dragged it over to the Blood River Landing, where we would leave it for the night and launch in the a.m. With Dennis at the wheel, we pulled into a grassy area to park parallel to a couple other boats…he went to swing around the back of the other trailers and came to an abrupt stop…which was a REALLY good thing, since another 30 feet would have put us into the swamp. When our heart rates finally slowed, we dropped the trailer and headed over to the Funhouse, where we met some of our gracious hosts and organizers, bought three card hands, and had some cocktails to celebrate our long drive. The Funhouse at Blood River Landing is a really cool bar that only opens to the public a couple times per year. The band was excellent, the drinks satisfactory, and we met about 50 new friends ready to have a good time running boats. Then we hit the sack early in anticipation of a big day on the morrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 002.jpg   tickfaw2 006.jpg   tickfaw2 004.jpg  

tickfaw2 005.jpg   tickfaw2 009.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

We were up and out of the hotel by 8am on Friday, and it was already a balmy 82 degrees. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky and it was looking like an absolutely perfect day for boating. Upon arrival at Blood River, we hooked up the boat, cleaned it, and loaded about 15 cases of liquid refreshment onboard to ensure we maintained our level of hydration. Then it was time to float the boat. We expected a huge crowd, which was why we arrived so early, but were surprised to see only 2 or 3 boats waiting to launch…nobody seemed like they were in much of a hurry. When we were ready to roll, it was around 10 am…and NOBODY else was even around! We had been given a map the night before, and just decided to try our luck, so we fired up the trusty 525s and started motoring.

Now…we are Chicagoans, and, as such, we are familiar with running our boats on a certain lake shaped like a big finger pointing at our fair city. This lake is deep, this lake is VERY long, and also quite wide. It looks a LOT like an ocean, in fact, and shares the same quality of an ocean in its openness…in less flowery terms, there’s a LOT of room out there. What we were immediately exposed to in this sweaty underbelly of America was a thin ribbon of muddy, debris-filled water winding through a cypress swamp. Our water at home is blue…this water was the color of refried beans. We were fairly certain that we would run the boat into the trees and be eaten by alligators. This is not an exaggeration. Despite our fears, we were able to successfully navigate out to Lake Maurepas without encountering a large reptile, and decided to head off into the abyss in search of Sun Buns, which would be our first card stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 014.jpg   tickfaw2 013.jpg   tickfaw2 015.jpg  

tickfaw2 017.jpg   tickfaw2 018.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Once again, we encounter a particularity of Louisiana boating…the crawdad trap. These things were EVERYWHERE. Little Styrofoam bobbers set in lines of three or four, criss-crossing each other and basically causing a bunch of Northerners fits as we swerved and dodged them at 70 mph. We didn’t hit any (well, I glanced off one on Sunday), but I can’t imagine it would do your outdrives any good if you did.

We were the very first boat to arrive at Sun Buns, and parked in the standard way that is normal to the rest of the boating world…that is…parallel to the dock. Upon entering the bar, a gentleman asked us if we’d be staying, and we decided to open up our account on the cocktail tip, so we responded in the affirmative. He then asked if we’d be willing to park our boat in the local manner when more boats showed up…so about 15 minutes later when 30 more boats came piling in, BZ, Obnoxus and I quickly learned how to dock via the stern. Interesting concept. By the time we left, the docks were PACKED and the entire bar was shaking with the noise from the engines…it was awesome. Skaters, Nortechs, Donzis, Fountains, Cigarettes, they were all there. I was REALLY liking this place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 023.jpg   tickfaw2 025.jpg   tickfaw2 027.jpg  

tickfaw2 022.jpg   tickfaw2 031.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

A couple more pics from Sun Buns. The last one was easily the most amazing audio/video setup I've ever seen on a boat.

That's it for tonight....more tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 034.jpg   tickfaw2 035.jpg   tickfaw2 039.jpg  

tickfaw2 041.jpg   tickfaw2 043.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Good stuff! Im jealous. More pics please!

6. Collapse Details

Good job young man, way to get the pics up!

7. Collapse Details

Mike,
    Its looks like fun, were you able to meet up with the cast from Swamp People?? Ha ha.

8. Collapse Details

Congrats

Enjoy

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Nevr2nd View Post
    Mike,
    Its looks like fun, were you able to meet up with the cast from Swamp People?? Ha ha.
    Actually,,,,,,YES !!!!! they were there !!!! LOL

10. Collapse Details

Dennis...that was the Swamp Cuzzins....I guess there's more than one swamp-based show...I'm not quite sure how this reflects upon our society today.

11. Collapse Details

On with the story:

We repeated our navigational success with visits to the Blind River Bar and the Prop Stop, meeting people the whole time and just amazed at how friendly everyone was. I had seen the famous Worm Bucket online, so when we hit the Prop Stop, I wanted to try one. I ended up having three. In like one half hour. Now I was genuinely in LOVE with this place! Our run back down river to Blood River Landing was in the company of a 42 Fountain with 1075s…WOW was it fun.

Some pics from Blind River Bar:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 046.jpg   tickfaw2 049.jpg   tickfaw2 051.jpg  

tickfaw2 052.jpg   tickfaw2 054.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

More from Blind River Bar...some nice powerplants....the first Banana I've ever seen...some local transportation...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 055.jpg   tickfaw2 053.jpg   tickfaw2 056.jpg  

tickfaw2 058.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

The Prop Stop...home of the world famous Worm Bucket (which was QUITE delicious, I might add)....42 Fountains runnin' through the swamp!

This is where we encounter the local law. We came around a turn hot on the tail of the yellow 42, both of us passing a 30 Baja on a sweeping right hander...when what do we see but a bass boat pulled over by two local police boats. We blew through, went about another mile, and had to shut down for a no wake zone. Sure enough, blue flashers followed shortly. Dennis was behind the wheel (he being the sober one)...I was thinking we're totally nailed for reckless driving or something. The officer came up as friendly as could be, and told us he pulled us over because we threw a styrofoam cup out of the boat. All four of us at once said "That wasn't us!" "We wouldn't do that!" "We don't even have styrofoam on the boat!" (As I stood in front of a half-empty Worm Bucket in a styrofoam cup). The cop said..."OK, y'all have a nice day, then." And motored away. Now, we didn't throw anything out of the boat, but still...we were all amazed he just let us go. Apparently, that's the way things are down there...everyone just wants you to have a good time.

We headed back to Blood River Landing, Dennis somehow parallel parked the boat in a space about 6 inches bigger than the boat, two boats deep...and the rum began to flow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 059.jpg   tickfaw2 061.jpg   tickfaw2 063.jpg  

tickfaw2 064.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

The recipe for FUN. These nice people just HAD to get rid of the remainder of their Jello shots...it was quite neighborly of us to help them out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 066.jpg   tickfaw2 065.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Sweet pics!!!

16. Collapse Details

thanks for sharing looks like a sweet trip

17. Collapse Details

Where are the pics of the CBBC T-shirts?

18. Collapse Details

Damn Mr. Mathers...a bit self-serving, aren't we? Lol. They are on Michelle's nice camera...I haven't downloaded them yet. And thanks for the voicemail yesterday....ironically, I WAS in trouble for staying out biking too long!

19. Collapse Details

RHS,
    Great shots. Thanks for sharing with those of us who cant make those wild events....

20. Collapse Details

Mr. Bob Mathers...this one's for you...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tickfaw2 005.jpg