Thread: Ateco

1. Collapse Details
    Ateco
    I just wanted to let you guys know about my experience at Ateco.

I rebuilt the engines in my Bullet last year and had nothing but problems all summer long I ended up pulling one engine out over the winter to repair one of my problems. After reassembling the engine I deceided to call Ateco and started talking to Bill about running the engine on the dyno. I wanted to make sure I didn't have any more problems. I talked to Bill a couple of times on the phone before bringing the engine in and he is very knowlegable and easy to talk to. He wasn't trying to sell me a bigger cam or different heads like some other shops try to do. I had him check a couple of things that I had questions on and found out that the pushrod were to short for the engine. Now Ateco didn't build the engines, I did, and usally other shop wouldn't even want to get involved with something they didn't build, but Bill never gave that impression and he seems like one of those guys who actually enjoys what he is doing. I would highly recommend Ateco to anyone who needs any machine work done. They have all the equipment to do everything in house.

Thanks to Bill from Ateco hopefully I will see you guys on the water this summer.

2. Collapse Details

Awesome !!!

Glad to hear it was simple fix.

I have never dealt with them yet but have heard good things before as well

3. Collapse Details

Good news.

4. Collapse Details

Always pleasant to hear good news about a company.
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Good Stuff. Bill is a nice guy, glad he took care of you.

How did the too short of pushrods get in there? I see in a lot of catalogs they sell pushrods to fit certain applications. However, theres just way to many variables, deck heights, milled heads, lifter style, rocker style, etc. The only way to do it is actually measure what you need and place a order.

6. Collapse Details

I replaced the heads, went from the stock GM to Dart. The guy that did the heads said pushrods should be fine I looked at it and it looked good to me. The other thing that threw me was in with the heads came a sheet from Dart telling what pushrod guide plates to use which is what I did come to find out from Dart that they don't recommend those anymore they actually recommend an adjustable guide plate now.These are my first Chevy engines, I have more experience with Mopars. I'm just glad that evrything is all set now.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eightsecmopar View Post
    I replaced the heads, went from the stock GM to Dart. The guy that did the heads said pushrods should be fine I looked at it and it looked good to me. The other thing that threw me was in with the heads came a sheet from Dart telling what pushrod guide plates to use which is what I did come to find out from Dart that they don't recommend those anymore they actually recommend an adjustable guide plate now.These are my first Chevy engines, I have more experience with Mopars. I'm just glad that evrything is all set now.
    Nice, Dart heads are always cool!

I installed the adjustable guideplates on my darts this winter. Not totally necessary, but they are nice.

Another thing to watch for, is some, if not most, Dart aluminum heads require a longer rocker stud on the exhaust side. The threaded portion is quite a bit longer, so it goes into the stud boss much further than a standard rocker stud. If you dont have these, you may want to install them. I have new ones in the package I got from Dart. I ordered too many of them. I have enough to do two engines if you need them. I forget now, but I think the standard ARP BBC rocker stud threads in about 3/4 or 1". The Dart ones thread in about 1/2 to 3/4" further.

8. Collapse Details

Here is the ones im talking about. The standard stud base length is .820. These are 1.300. So about 1/2" more meat to grab on since the exhaust casting is a raised "boss" on the Darts...

Dart 27002204 - Dart Rocker Arm Studs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

9. Collapse Details

Yes, I did change those over also. Thanks

10. Collapse Details

So you did dyno? What kind of numbers are we making???

11. Collapse Details

553hp @ 4900 rpm and 623 ft. lbs torque @ 4000 rpm These engine have real small hydraulic cams in them.