1. Collapse Details
    Can a Town Really stop boats from anchoring in a Great Lake??????
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Where does the navigable waterway laws of the US come into account???

Irondequoit's boating proposal makes waves
    Boat owners irked as Irondequoit mulls barring idling crafts off Culver Road beach to help property owners

Designed to curb crowds of lake-loving partiers drifting just off shore, proposed changes to Irondequoit’s boating regulations have ignited a long-smoldering feud between homeowners and boaters.

Now, the town of Irondequoit will hold a public hearing Tuesday to discuss the proposed revisions, which affect a small but heavily used stretch of Lake Ontario.
    The new regulations state that boats cannot be anchored, moored, adrift or joined together with any other vessel within 450 feet of the area of the Lake Ontario shoreline running west from the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Pier to the east property boundary of 186 Lake Bluff Road — roughly where Culver Road bends southward.
    The 450-foot distance was chosen to coincide with the length of the pier so it serves as a visual marker.
    Water vessels owned and operated by those living on this stretch would be excluded from this limitation. They would be allowed to anchor no more than three vessels together at any given time.
    Donald Herbert, a resident of Lake Bluff Road, thinks the proposed laws are a great idea.
    “It’s cheaper to buy a cocktail than gas,” Herbert said jokingly about boaters who anchor together on the shoreline near Marge’s Lakeside Inn, 4909 Culver Road. “There’s always beer cans and paper cups around. It can be a problem.”
    Irondequoit Town Supervisor Mary Joyce D’Aurizio said she is appalled by the behavior she has seen from some boaters. She recalled an occasion where a young girl was swimming near the shore of her grandfather’s home and almost lost a leg due to a boat moving too close to her.
    “They should be able to swim without fear,” D’Aurizio said.
    On other occasions, D’Aurizio said that boaters have trespassed onto private beachfronts and proceeded to barbecue and set up tables.
    “There’s been lewd and obnoxious behavior and drunkenness,” D’Aurizio said.
    The majority of complaints she has gotten about the proposed rule changes have been from people who live outside of Irondequoit who bring their boats into the area, she said.
    The revised laws show a change in the distance from the shore at which boats can be operated from 200 to 300 feet, but D’Aurizio said that reflects previously standing navigation laws.
    Mark Schickling, who lives on the affected stretch of Culver Road, isn’t overly concerned with boats congregating. He is opposed, however, to the noise that groups of boaters create.
    This is a sentiment shared by Steve Nelson, who lives several houses down from Schickling.
    “It does get a little crazy in the summer,” Nelson said. “Too many people take advantage of the lakefront.”
    Nelson has mixed feelings about the proposed changes, empathizing with the boaters while understanding the complaints of his neighbors.
    “I understand the boaters’ position — the lake is for everybody,” Nelson added.
    Several homeowners on Culver Road in favor of the new regulations were hesitant to speak on the record for fear of retaliation from those in opposition. Some said they would make their voices heard at Tuesday’s meeting.
    John Helfer, public information officer for the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, said that they receive complaints about boaters on a regular basis and have made a couple of arrests for harassment.
    “We’ve had numerous complaints for harassment, lewd behavior and quality of life issues,” Helfer said.
    Irondequoit Police Chief Richard Boyan said he is in favor of the proposed changes as it would make it easier for the police department and the marine unit of the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office to enforce order.
    Boyan said this is the first time that Irondequoit has had an ordinance in place that concerns Lake Ontario.
    Boyan added that there have been some misunderstandings about the proposed changes, which will not include speed limit amendments.
    While most homeowners on the shoreline hope the rule changes pass, many boaters are unhappy with the proposed regulations.
    Steve Lay, president of the Irondequoit Bay Fish and Game Club, said that boaters enjoy anchoring close to shore so kids can play in the water near the boats.
    Anchoring further out, where the water is deeper, would eliminate that option.
    “I’m in full support of the laws not going through, as everyone in the club is,” Lay said.
    Lay has encouraged the approximately 350-member club to be present at Tuesday’s meeting.
    A petition on change.org in opposition to the amended laws had 490 signatures on it as of Thursday afternoon. Many signers commented on the website that their right to enjoy public waterways is being infringed upon.
    A similar discussion is raging on the Irondequoit Bay Facebook page, where opponents of the law are offering strong critiques.
    Said Lay: “It’s not right, it’s not fair, and I don’t think they have the authority to do that.”
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

I knew a kid named Irondequoit. He is doing 20 years for armed robbery. He had a sister Shanikwa and twin brothers Lemonjallo and Oranjallo.

3. Collapse Details

what... ? ? ?

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    what... ? ? ?
    I agree.....

5. Collapse Details

is it a bad sign if I understand what fundy's talkin about?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    is it a bad sign if I understand what fundy's talkin about?

"Jes, jes" it is.......

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I knew a kid named Irondequoit. He is doing 20 years for armed robbery. He had a sister Shanikwa and twin brothers Lemonjallo and Oranjallo.

He's the F'er who stole my woobie!!!! I hate him!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh