Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    looking to buy a classic 16
    I’m look to buy a Donzi Classic 16, this will be my first boat but, I grew up with boats, I would like a 60s or 70s boat that’s I can restore. I want to know how much wood is in a classic? I know the transoms will have wood, but dose the floor and deck have and wood?

2. Collapse Details

The Core in those boats at that age most likely are going to be Balsa , and stringers , transom , and all intermittent's , will be Ply , with the exception of the sole or liner that most likely will be............ Balsa also , and welcome to the site and are you a member of www.donzi.net or www.donzi.org

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Artie, And welcome from me as well....

I don't know of a Sweet 16 currently that needs a lot of work, but I'll start putting out the feelers.....

I do know of a 20 Cigarette. I believe hull number 2......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Ok thanks for the info and the links for the sites, Oh one more thing Is the deck is screw on or bonded together? I was thinking about rebuilding a used Mercruiser 350 with a Alpha out driver for the Donzi are there much differences in a alpha one gen 1 and 2s? and are parts easy to get for them? I dont wont somthing thats going to be hard to get parts for in 5 years.

Wow 20' Cigarette hull number 2, what a boat, I would love to have a boat like that, but I really want a 16" boat now, I want something that I can go out all day and have fun for under $100, My father has a 26' Donzi ZX and when ever he goes out for the day he uses 75 gallons.

5. Collapse Details

Jalpa24 , just curious where is your location ?

6. Collapse Details

Paul that is a great boat with a price to boot, but ............................$$$$$$$$$$ it actually is Hull no # 1 for 30 K if we are on the same page .

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Jalpa24 , just curious where is your location ?
    I live in virginia

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One of our moderators is really into the Donzi scene, he should know if there is one around.

Do you have a budget or timeframe or expected result set up to share? I'm sure Jim will see this and be able to help.

9. Collapse Details

good morning..., be sure to visit us at www.donzi.org and perhaps we can help you. I just finished 15 months of restoring a 16 outboard, and know every millimeter of that hull... there are 16's out there to restore, both I/O and clamp on's.... why are you hooked on just a 16 and not an 18, if I may ask?

Jim
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    good morning..., be sure to visit us at www.donzi.org and perhaps we can help you. I just finished 15 months of restoring a 16 outboard, and know every millimeter of that hull... there are 16's out there to restore, both I/O and clamp on's.... why are you hooked on just a 16 and not an 18, if I may ask?

Jim
    A 18 classic would be great, but the prices are a lot higher, that’s why I was going for a 16 classic, I would like to find a boat by summer but I’m not in a big rush, I was hoping to get a good restoration project boat for $3000 or less and sink another 15k-17k, I want to keep it under 20K over the next two years.

11. Collapse Details

the 16 is a cute little boat but pretty small. nice for a quick buzz around but cramped fro spending much time on. and a pretty bumpy ride.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    As I'm sure Jim will also say, there are several 16's, 18's, and 20's in decent shape for les than $20,000 out there right now.

As for fuel costs, I doubt there will be much difference between a 16 up to a 20 in overall expenses. With a later fuel injection system, I believe all would get between 3 and 4 mpg at cruise.

13. Collapse Details

im always scared of someone elses redo boat. god only knows whats buried under that shinny new paint.

the fuel- a 26 footer burns waaaay more than a 20. got a pal with an old hornet- 350 on a volvo. burns about no gas and is a sweet smooth ride on choppy days.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    But I don't think the 22 vs the 20. Or the 20 vs the 18. Or the 18 vs the 16 is much difference at all in fuel comsumption.

By the way, Alpha replacements and rebuilds have been extremely reasonable.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 03-16-2012 at 11:35 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Well I guess ill look for a 16 or a 18 Classic , Ill just see what i can find, Oh one more reasons that I dont want a bigger boat, Im going to be towing it with a 1500 2wd truck.

What is a good price for a 18' Classic project boat, every 18' Im seeing is like 10k? And thats more then I want to speend on a boat that needs lots of work or a restoration. and I want to restore the boat and then Ill know its done right.
    Last edited by Jalpa24; 03-17-2012 at 12:30 AM.

16. Collapse Details

This one doesn't look to bad for 11K

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...1-000-obo.html
    Parabellum FJ²B

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    This one doesn't look to bad for 11K

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...1-000-obo.html
    Wow that is a nice one, But im a little short on money for this mouth, I spent $7,500 of my boat funds on new wheels and tires for the lamborghini last mounth. I can speend up to $3'000 for a boat now, but I could have the 11k by summer, And I realy woud like to find a boat that I can restore my self

I wish this donzi wasnt on the west coast http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item19cec16880

Christopher

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Heck, bid on it. What have you got to lose????

Take a long weekend and fly out and put it in storage for a couple months until you have time to drive out and tow it back, or one of the members is coming this way with nothing to tow. Still be within your $3000 it looks like...

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Heck, bid on it. What have you got to lose????

Take a long weekend and fly out and put it in storage for a couple months until you have time to drive out and tow it back, or one of the members is coming this way with nothing to tow. Still be within your $3000 it looks like...
    Yeah I think I might do that

20. Collapse Details