1. Collapse Details
    Maryland bill would add boat luxury tax
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is probably only the first.....

Maryland House Bill 1345, sponsored by Ways and Means Committee Chair Sheila Hixson (D-Montgomery) and Delegate Heather R. Mizeur (D-Montgomery), would add a 1-percent luxury surtax to the state sales and use tax on motor vehicles, boats and planes with a prince greater than $35,000.

For vehicles, boats and planes with a price of more than $90,000, the surtax would be $550 plus 2 percent of the amount above $90,000.

To see the complete bill, click here: House Bill 1345

A petition is circulating on Change.org to oppose the bill, which it says will have significant negative ramifications on the marine industry in Maryland.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

IDIOTS

3. Collapse Details

Sounds to me that would just force everyone to purchase and register out of state

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    Sounds to me that would just force everyone to purchase and register out of state
    I know lots of people register rv's ,coaches,motorcycles in Montana for that very reason

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    This is probably only the first.....

Maryland House Bill 1345, sponsored by Ways and Means Committee Chair Sheila Hixson (D-Montgomery) and Delegate Heather R. Mizeur (D-Montgomery), would add a 1-percent luxury surtax to the state sales and use tax on motor vehicles, boats and planes with a prince greater than $35,000.

For vehicles, boats and planes with a price of more than $90,000, the surtax would be $550 plus 2 percent of the amount above $90,000.

To see the complete bill, click here: House Bill 1345

A petition is circulating on Change.org to oppose the bill, which it says will have significant negative ramifications on the marine industry in Maryland.

Man I didn't know Carbonell was and advisor for the House of Delegates too!! Brilliant.... Just keep adding weight to the already sinking marine industry.. This bill along with a few others in Maryland including higher boat registration fees for multiple boat owners, waterfront home owners getting an annual fee of $500 per boat lift, and now a tax on impervious surface in a critical area... When are these assholes gonna realize what they are doing!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Looks like Delaware will benefit if this passes.
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    They're politicians, not known for their brilliance at anything other than making shady deals to get elected and more shady deals to take money so they can spend it as they like.....

8. Collapse Details

id imagine its illegal to reg out of your state of residence. maybe if you were a corp.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway- higher taxes make everything better. at least thats what the prez thinks

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it sure has worked well so far......

10. Collapse Details

The crazy thing abou this tax is that it is when the owner sells his boat! So the owner gets hit twice - first when he buys the boat he has to pay a 5% excise tax. Then when he decides to sell, if he sells it for more than $25K then he has to pay a second tax on the selling price. Pure BS!

Regardless of where you title the boat, if you use it the majority of the time in Maryland - you would have to pay the excise tax and the registration fee. So far the new proposed luxury tax for when you sell the boat has not gained a lot of support so hopefully it will go away.

Another tax that our Governor proposed was a "sales" tax on Gasoline. This tax would be above and beyond the federal and state taxes already applied to a gallon of gasoline. In other words he would tax the tax.
    Of course the reason they claim they need higher boat registration fees, higher excise tax, luxury sales tax and now gas sales tax is because both the highway and the waterway funds are bankrupt. What they fail to explain is that the funds that were present were raided by the Governor last year to fund his deficit spending.

And for all the non Marylander - beware because Governor Omally has his eyes on the White House.

11. Collapse Details

Yesterday morning I sent an e-mail to try to help crush this thing, and the link is below. It was sent to the House of Delegates, and I got personal responses from 2 delegates within 5 hours. Please forward this link to as many people as possible so they can speak their mind too!!

Click on this URL to take action now
    http://capwiz.com/boatus/utr/2/?a=61...i=120017247&c=

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by C35 View Post
    id imagine its illegal to reg out of your state of residence.
    As I understand it, you need the boat reg. in the state that it is used most.

Out here, tons of guys from CA reg the boat in AZ - but, if your tow vehicle is CA reg, the trailer must also be CA reg.

AZ taxes and reg are a lot easier than CA.

No matter how you look at it, state/fed taxes are just a big game.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

13. Collapse Details

The real problem with government is, is that no mater how much tax they collect, it will never be enouth, they'll always spend more than they get.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TUG IT!! View Post
    Yesterday morning I sent an e-mail to try to help crush this thing, and the link is below. It was sent to the House of Delegates, and I got personal responses from 2 delegates within 5 hours. Please forward this link to as many people as possible so they can speak their mind too!!

Click on this URL to take action now
    http://capwiz.com/boatus/utr/2/?a=61...i=120017247&c=
    Thanks Kevin. Hopefully it will help.......

15. Collapse Details

Not sure of the laws, but an article I read said that Delaware is hoping that this will pass, as it will be a money maker for them. Similar to the Gay wedding ban in Maryland.
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    It hardly seems right to compare those two things in the same sentence.......