Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ros View Post
    Here are some update photos of Typhoon.

Looking better than ever.

Dang, Randy won't know what to do.

He'll climb in, then climb back out because he'll think he's in the wrong boat.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    We will all look good but most likely not be any faster LOL. Great thing about this class is you spend your wise money on the drive and keeping the rest clean and fresh. With most of the races in the ocean the cost for the last MPH is not worth it in my opinion unless you just love working on your boat. Once you get to 92-93 MPH work on other things, thats all you need for speed in a stock APBA/OPA boat.
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Once you get to 92-93 MPH work on other things, thats all you need for speed in a stock APBA/OPA boat.
    MD
    Says the guy that runs 94-95 MPH. LOL
    Last edited by Ratickle; 03-21-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote

4. Collapse Details

94.3MPH in Biloxi last year with a no X dimension rule and that was only one way with the current. The good news for you guys is I lost a blade on that prop and the boat has never seen that speed again. And yes I had the same prop made to the same specs with the broken one sitting next to the new one being built and it was never as good. Props and drives are the core of our class when it comes to winning. And the guy's in the boat have something to do with it as well LOL.

Biloxi is a crazy course. Top end speed is king there until you hit the outside. Some days is big and others not so. This is my past experiance of the course.

You parade from the pits to the last turn on the course. As you start rounding that last pillow you better be ready to go. The pace boat has about 1/4 mile to line you up and make sure no one slingshots the start on the outside. When they let you go the line bunches up fast due to the marina wall that sticks out on the left side of the course. The oustside boats have to keep moving to there right to clear the wall. Thats all good if the guy next to you gives you room and so on next to him. In a nut shell there are always guys that get pinched out at this start and thats just racing. So the lesson is dont be late at the start. Another crazy factor on this course is if you win the pole position next to the pace boat you realy arent in a good position being that the first turn is a dog leg left. Heading downt the straight now to the far end of the course is all about position to make the 180deg. turn. If you hug the first pillow you will be to tight on the next of 3 pillows so IMO your better off sweeping the first,going tight on the second and sweep the 3rd if you feel you can drive threw at speed. Next its a all balls out, trim and tabs up drag race for a couple of miles till you do a sweeping left hander into the gulf. This is an extreamley technical area being you were just running as loose as you can and now you are turning and possably hitting some bumps. Lots going on for the throttleman anticipating whats about to happen. How much tab,trim location and should there be ballest used. All this at 90 plus MPH without warrning as to where that first roller is going to hit. Do it to early and you lose distance to your competitor. Do it to late and disaster normaly happens and you launch out of controll. Moving on to the outside 180 turn is also hard. IMO you cant do this turn wide open. Its tight and the water conditions dont make it worth the risk of spinning out or breaking your boat. Now you are liffting your gear up some and ridding with the waves back in and picking up speed. One last soft right hand turn and its back to calmer water so you bring the rest of you tab and drive up and blow any remaining ballest out. At this point you think your home free BUT the way the wind,current and marina layout is we seem to find holes and small swells that can ruin your day. Race another 1/2 mile to the finish line and get your checkerd flag.
    I hope that helps any new racers or fans that watch this event. This is why Biloxi is such a racers favorite course. The other reason is because of the people that put on this great event and the people that come to watch us every year from one of the coolest grandstands you could ask for. See you all there.
    MD

5. Collapse Details

Alright Schleussberg!!

Who wrote this for you?

Wil

6. Collapse Details

At least thats what Trophy Bit$h told me.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ros View Post
    Alright Schleussberg!!

Who wrote this for you?

Wil
    I was thinking the same thing. He could not have written that. there is only 2 spelling errors.

8. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG952012032195151706.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	73155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG952012032195151738.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	73156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG952012032195151808.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	73157

I heard that Randy is "Hooked on Phonics!!" Have some faith in the Dog.. Latest pics of the TUG... And yeah, that's FLAT baby!!!

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Stealth Mode.......

10. Collapse Details

Kev,

That looks amazing bro!!

You and your team are a great addition to this class. Please keep us updated on the progress. More photos!!

SVL will rock this year!!

There are now 3 black boats plus a half black phantom.

We really need photos from Dr. Simmons!!

His project takes it to a whole other level!!!!!

Come on Dr. Simmons, please post some photos.

Wil

11. Collapse Details

Thanks man!! Haven't gotten to see it in person yet, but Jeff said it turned out nice.. Scott is on his way up to Randy's to pick up the motor today, got the trailer all stripped down and ready for paint, but the weather up here isn't cooperating!! Still hopeful to have the engine in the boat this weekend or early next week. Will still be a few weeks before we unveil the full paint scheme on the TUG, but will keep posting pics as she progresses.. Can't wait to get out there and run with everybody!!

And you got that right about Jim's project!! Holy S**T he has definitely got his hands full!! I got on him the other day about posting pics too.. Come on Man, I know u got time to read my dirty e-mails, u can take 5 and post some pics!!
    Later. Kev

12. Collapse Details

Latest pics of trailer and TUG IT "baby" .. My two cousins Lil Kev and Ryan Murphy ran thier 1st race in a J-Class hydro last year and each won both of thier heats!!. APBA was so cool about it that they gave them this boat: TUG IT 'baby".. The boys who are 14 and 15 have done all of the resto-work on the boat, and they are gettin ready to shoot her!! What better experience than to practice on it's older brother's trailer!! Lil Kev, Ryan, and Justin did awesome!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120226-00353.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	73169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120226-00349.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	73170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120322-00431.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	73171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120322-00433.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	73172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120322-00436.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	73173

13. Collapse Details

Thats how you build work ethic!!

Great job showing the kids and Brucee will not recognize his ex boat!

The trailer looks fantastic and its my favorite color!!

Kepp the pics coming!!

Wil

14. Collapse Details

You have now idea how many hour Bruce spent painting that traior last year.

15. Collapse Details

What an awesome thread!!.....it is apparent the SVL's are going to be the class to watch this year.....I know Doc has had a ton of work done on the #4 Watch Your Back Fountain in an effort to stay competitive.....last I talked to him he was really going to make an effort to arrange his schedule to make Biloxi (although at the time he had someone who had approached him about buying the boat)....maybe we'll see you guys there.....good luck to everyone in 2012

16. Collapse Details

Im sure the Doc will be welcome. Illegal parts and all!

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Actually, under the new rules, every boat legal in any organization's SVL class can be made legal for OPA/APBA/OSS fairly easily (and at a pretty reasonable cost). Doc probably already has every part he needs. I'll get something up on the actual rules as they were completed, but in a nutshell, an SBI legal competitive boat would end up making these few changes;

1.5 ratio drive if they were running the 1.65
    Prop diameter no larger than 15 5/8
    Prop pitch no greater than 30"
    Drive height rule is the same, 1/2" below aft running surface
    Stock ECM not to exceed 5450 RPM
    Add 250 lbs if the boat had not passed inspection by APBA/OSS/OPA
    Add 250 lbs if it were an unsealed motor
    Add 250 lbs if it were a multi-step design

I think that's about it if it had already been whistled, P&G'd, and sealed by SBI, or any other acredited race organization other than the normal inspection required of any boat at an event.

I started a thread, here's the link, so this work one won't get all messed up on rules discussions if that happens.....

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...594#post582594
    Last edited by Ratickle; 03-23-2012 at 12:13 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    You have now idea how many hour Bruce spent painting that traior last year.
    Man tell me about it! I thought it was gonna be a quick shoot and run, but good lord! The boys had about 50 hrs gettin it stripped and prepped. Will get finished painting that this weekend.

19. Collapse Details

Shoot and Run? Are you kidding? Maybe in Bank robberies. Not in boat trailers!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    Shoot and Run? Are you kidding? Maybe in Bank robberies. Not in boat trailers!
    I finally realized why u had that reflective tape on the sides of that thing Bruce!! Nice camo.. We did a good bit of patching and welding, but just not enough time to get it all done and make Biloxi.. So more than likely I will be using ur same camo technique!