Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

In his new book on the water speed record, Doug Ford (Lockheed engineer and former aerodynamicist for the Miss Budweiser team) discusses the rocket boat design proposed in 1987 by my late friend Arvil Porter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PorterConcept.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	75328

"ARVIL PORTER AND HIS ROCKET BOAT CONCEPT
    As was the case for Donald Campbell, Sir Henry Seagrave, and John Cobb, some people interested in the world land speed record have been similarly interested in setting a new world water speed record. Such was a very talented man by the name of Arvil Porter, who was an expert in hydrogen peroxide rocket motors.
    Arvil had built several ultralight, rocket-powered dragsters, a rocket powered motor cycle, and most recently was working on the rocket motors for Waldo Stakes’ rocket-powered land speed record vehicle, Sonic Wind. Porter had watched the water speed record attempts by Donald Campbell in Bluebird K7, Lee Taylor in both Hustler and Discovery II, and the current record holder Ken Warby in Spirit of Austrailia. He became convinced that he could design a better water speed record craft. His thinking was that a lightweight, rocket-powered boat, riding on skis would be able to safely break the World Unrestricted Water Speed Record. In 1987, Porter drew a sketch of his idea for a very small, ultralight, rocket-powered water speed record boat. His concept was clearly
    unique, and a complete departure from anything that had been done before, although U.S. Discovery II was also powered by hydrogen peroxide rocket. Arvil’s concept for a record attempt boat capable of safely attaining over 300 miles per hour vehicle was a very light craft weighing only about 1,000 pounds, powered by three hydrogen peroxide rocket motors. According to Franklin Ratliff, a longtime friend, Porter specified a 4,000 pound thrust motor in the center of the aft fuselage and two 3,000 pound thrust motors on each side forward near the bow. The hull would ride on three ski-like planing surfaces; one forward and one on each side about two thirds of the way back on the fuselage. Pitch attitude would be controlled by an underwater hydrofoil positioned just behind the front ski, and by a horizontal stabilizer mounted on top of the cowling at the rear. Directional control would be provided by a rudder at the rear.
    Arvil Porter’s original sketch of his water speed record boat concept
    Scanned copy courtesy of Franklin Ratliff"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PorterConcept2.jpg  
    Last edited by Dr. X; 01-24-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: text correction

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When said that pitch attitude is controlled by an underwater hydrofoil, what kind of materials are available that would take that type of punishment?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    When said that pitch attitude is controlled by an underwater hydrofoil, what kind of materials are available that would take that type of punishment?
    Hopefully, some sort of steel forging would have worked.

4. Collapse Details

This is probably the best thread I've ever been involved in over my 15 years of website ownership/administration/participation. The information here is incredible.

5. Collapse Details

And it's effin cool.
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

yep
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post
    Hopefully, some sort of steel forging would have worked.
    We've been involved with some pretty exotic castings, expecially for the oil drilling and military industries, possible I guess. But that is sure a lot of force.....

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Did anyone ever pursue his idea?

I suppose that would be much safer than any surface riding craft.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I think I understand the concept, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how anything could handle the stress of moving through the water at those speeds to control the attitude of a boat. But, I guess the stresses on props are also incredible....

10. Collapse Details

Name:	slide_2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	75889

11. Collapse Details

still finishing up details

12. Collapse Details

another angle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slide_1.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Wicked beautiful
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

14. Collapse Details

Cool thread. I have seen Daniels photos on facebook, and I admire his ideas and hard work. I will say that it would appear as if there is too much lift up front, as well as the cockpit safety features lacking. I could be wrong though, and for his sake I hope I am. Wishing him all the best!
    Last edited by Coolerman; 05-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.

15. Collapse Details

I read somewhere that someone trying to beat the record figured they needed 1000 HP extra for the skid fin to be 6 inches longer. Imagine a rudder and hydrofoil.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Some of the stuff from some key guys has been interesting to say the least. This was from Popular Mechanics in 2006.

400 Mph On Water
    Russ Wicks is betting his life to set a water speed record--but he's not alone.
    By Cliff Gromer Comments

June 13, 2006 12:00 AM

In the winter of 2005, a craft that's currently in the design phase will fire up its engines on a large reservoir in eastern Washington state and try to crack 400 mph -- setting a new water speed record. The boat, the American Challenge, piloted by Russ Wicks, will be unlike any other in history. A product of computer modeling and technology borrowed from the aerospace field, the revolutionary boat will be constructed by a team using the most advanced composites and working under exacting, state-of-the-art conditions. The cost is expected to ring in at about $5 million.

Halfway around the world, at Blowering Dam in Australia, another craft, completed in 1999, is expected to take up the same challenge at about the same time. This boat, the Aussie Spirit, was designed and built by one man in his backyard shed. The cost, in comparison with the American Challenge, is chump change. This effort would seem laughable when stacked up to Wicks's if it were not for one thing. Its designer, builder and driver, Ken Warby, holds the current water speed record at 317.60 mph.

It's not an entirely friendly competition: In fact, Wicks and Warby seem to take a perverse joy in throwing verbal boat anchors at each other. "A Wile E. Coyote going for a ride on a fiberglass board," says Wicks of Warby. "He's pushed the limits of what you can do without the latest technology."

Warby isn't as kind. "Wicks is known in boat racing as the media whore," he says. "He's not going to do anything. The design that he's got will kill him -- if he ever builds it."

17. Collapse Details

Apologies to bump an old thread but I believe Daniel's engine as previously shown was an Avon not an Olympus and is currently on e-bay for sale item no: 140899263170

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    No apologies needed, welcome and thanks.
    You think this was Daniel's engine? Actual engine or twin to what he has?

Name:	Rools Royce Jet Engine.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	77254

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140899263170...170%26_rdc%3D1

English Electric Lightning P1B RAF Aircraft Rolls Royce Avon Mk209 Jet Engine
    Stunning PROTOTYPE Lightning engine. Unique Opportunity

English Electric Lightning P1B

Rolls Royce Avon Mk209 Jet engine

From one of the 3 prototype P1B Lightnings

Another Rare and historical find brought to you by Jet Art Aviation

This really is a very special opportunity for a major museum or decerning private collector.

This engine is stunning and superb, almost immaculate in every way.

The Avon mk209 engine was only used in the P1B prototype Lightning's of which 3 were built.

The P1B aircraft were used for research and development and were built prior to a batch of 20 pre production Lightning F1 aircraft. The P1B aircraft used the Avon Mk209, the preproduction F1 aircraft were upgraded with the Avon Mk210 engines installed.

The history behind this engine is as follows. After use on the P1B aircraft the engine was removed and returned to Rolls Royce for overhaul. Zero timed it was returned to the Air Ministry where it sat at an M.U for a decade or so before being auctioned off as MOD surplus equipment some time in the 1970's. A gentleman bought the engine and stored her for the best part of 30 years, crated, correctly bagged and blanked dessicant packed never to see the light of day. As such the engine has been preserved almost perfectly. The engine changed hands in the last decade and is now part of a private collection in mainland Europe. The engine now on our books as a commission sale. I travelled to inspect and survey the engine in December and took the attached photos.

It would be great if this engine could be returned to the UK.

Date Plate reads as Follows:

Rolls Royce Avon
    Mk: 20901B
    S/N:8834
    AM : A657018

19. Collapse Details

I believe it to be the same engine Ratickle - the background matches the workshop of Daniel and the agent selling it has hinted at it being the same one he sold to Daniel. It is my understanding Daniel may have purchased a re-heated Adour

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now you're going to have to explain about a re-heated Adour!