Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The latest is there is a decent chance it will be at the APBA's Biloxi speed run in May.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    some updates

Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

3. Collapse Details

if he survives he should strap some rollerskates to the bottom of that engine and ride it to a land speed record.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slimpickens-drstrangelove.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	73046

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Not 100% sure why all the negative comments, Yes this is dangerous, but as the saying goes "records were made to be broken" While Mr.Warby's record stands, he persisted to beat the previous record. He never gave up, and made history, I dont think Daniel is some crackpot out to kill himself, he is being very methodical in his approach. I wish him all the luck!

5. Collapse Details

Did he say where he is going to attempt the record Pete?
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

i dont think its negative. i think its realistic. like someone said, warby is the only one that lived. that and the thing where no one has tried in decades says something.

also- its not negative to joke about it. look at that motor and then look at the hull- tell me that doesnt look instantly deadly- a concorde engine in what looks smaller than a hydro.

if he was my friend or relative id burn his garage down to keep him from trying. being an astronaut or a fireman and risking life for a reason is diffrent than things like this.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    I dont think Daniel is some crackpot out to kill himself, he is being very methodical in his approach
    Do you know him personally? This is not something that anyone has undertaken lightly in the past, yet it has resulted in almost universally disastrous results... When you apply 10 times the power to a similar sized boat as the one currently holding the record...you might have missed a decimal point somewhere....and, frankly, that carbon fiber safety "tub" needs to completely surround him. It also should be egg shaped and "break away" installed with all "drive by wire" controls....because when the crash comes, his only hope will be to have a life sustaining cocoon with a parachute to decelerate him out of the ballistic speed range he will be playing in..... Many of the people killed in rapid deceleration and spinning accidents die without a mark on their bodies or physical insult of any kind. Their internal organs simply tear apart under the torsional stresses experienced.
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I dont know him personally, however, his attempt will be to set the new mark. I certainly understand the ending results could not end well. But hey who would thunk some one withe a jet engine and some plywood could have set the mark that currently holds the record.

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    from the mold the hull emerges:

10. Collapse Details

gotta say one thing- big cojones on that boy.

thanks for the cool pics and the look at what hes doing.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    Not 100% sure why all the negative comments, Yes this is dangerous, but as the saying goes "records were made to be broken" While Mr.Warby's record stands, he persisted to beat the previous record. He never gave up, and made history, I dont think Daniel is some crackpot out to kill himself, he is being very methodical in his approach. I wish him all the luck!
    The updates have been great. And appreciated. I was amazed at the bagging pics. I love custom stuff and speed and this is both. I think that technology has always advanced when people pushed the envelope. I am grateful to follow this as much as you'll share, and will be with him in spirit and prayer when he goes for it. I too wish him all the luck. Thanks for posting this stuff.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I've been doing some thinking and research on similar items....

Several going on currently, but the one that comes to mind the fastest, Yeager and the speed of sound. Until they figured out what was going on, everyone who tried died. That's why it was named the sound "Barrier"........

I am really curious as to the design, etc. And why the heck would he choose that much thrust? It is three times as much as has ever been tried. There must be a reason.

Egg shaped Rich, makes sense. But I sure as heck would not want to be in it if there was a failure....

Are the current Unlimiteds egg shaped to any extent???? I believe the drag boats are somewhat....

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    As for the negative, I understand it has been a very disastrous record to chase. But, all records are there to be broken, or at least attempt breaking. Otherwise, Warby wouldn't currently have his.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    As for the negative, I understand it has been a very disastrous record to chase. But, all records are there to be broken, or at least attempt breaking. Otherwise, Warby wouldn't currently have his.
    I think that we live during an increasingly practical age. I think that many of us are boating the way we do and at the custom level that we do for impractical reasons. In our own small ways, are we not all test pilots? And while we don't risk as much as Daniel... we don't get the same reward. Yet we chase something. Something impractical, unpredictable, and fast. I don't want to live in a world in which we aren't allowed to do this. At his speed, or ours.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Egg shaped Rich, makes sense. But I sure as heck would not want to be in it if there was a failure....

Are the current Unlimiteds egg shaped to any extent???? I believe the drag boats are somewhat....
    The F-16 cowling profile if carried to a complete conclusion whould be a cylinderical elongated egg to deflect external forces. This is the basis for the current unlimited canopies. The overall egg shape cockpit was tried by Fabio Buzzi in a cat in the mid 80's with pods that were designed to detach from the hull in the evnt of a violent crash, but I don't believe such a disaster occurred. The bottom line is the safety cockpit in this boat must be designed to protect the driver in dynamics that resemble a plane crash. If such technology exists, it has yet to come to the public.

While I do respect high speed record attempts, especially on the water, sadly I feel that this is like encouraging someone to drive into a bridge at a speed faster than anyone else has ever survived. If this is your definition of freedom....keep it.
    Allergic to Nonsense

16. Collapse Details

Encouraging it is perhaps reckless.

Understanding it is perhaps foolish.

Allowing it certainly seems the definition of freedom.
    I think that Gar Wood and Ken Warby enjoyed this freedom. A freedom that exists less and less in the "save everybody from themselves" culture that we have evolved toward as we shifted our sights as a nation from the moon to the courtroom.

Maybe I'm reckless, or foolish, or maybe I'm just too young still to become a nervous crone. I don't ride a turbocharged motorcycle anymore, so while I am more cautious than I used to be, I still have an interest the very few remaining frontiers that exist in our world. One day, there will be speed limits on the open waters, and men like Wood and Warby will all be safe from themselves.

If the amalgam of bravery and stupidity was more easily separated by wise and clairvoyant men, we'd have rejected the wheel. We'd have prudently admired the moon, but never touched it. We'd have stared at the sea but never ventured to unknown lands. We'd have pondered the view from a treetop but never climbed a tree. We'd have stayed on our own side of every mountain. We'd have never exceeded the speed of sound. All foolish endeavors undertaken by men so much less wise than ourselves.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Encouraging it is perhaps reckless.

Understanding it is perhaps foolish.

Allowing it certainly seems the definition of freedom.
    I think that Gar Wood and Ken Warby enjoyed this freedom. A freedom that exists less and less in the "save everybody from themselves" culture that we have evolved toward as we shifted our sights as a nation from the moon to the courtroom.

Maybe I'm reckless, or foolish, or maybe I'm just too young still to become a nervous crone. I don't ride a turbocharged motorcycle anymore, so while I am more cautious than I used to be, I still have an interest the very few remaining frontiers that exist in our world. One day, there will be speed limits on the open waters, and men like Wood and Warby will all be safe from themselves.

If the amalgam of bravery and stupidity was more easily separated by wise and clairvoyant men, we'd have rejected the wheel. We'd have prudently admired the moon, but never touched it. We'd have stared at the sea but never ventured to unknown lands. We'd have pondered the view from a treetop but never climbed a tree. We'd have stayed on our own side of every mountain. We'd have never exceeded the speed of sound. All foolish endeavors undertaken by men so much less wise than ourselves.
    Don't misunderstand, I will fight for his right to attempt anything that won't harm anyone else. On the other hand if you meet someone who is trying to launch himself to the moon in a hermetically sealed 57 Chevy, with onboard oxygen, using a 100 yard high slingshot....you might try and talk him out of it....
    Allergic to Nonsense

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Don't misunderstand, I will fight for his right to attempt anything that won't harm anyone else. On the other hand if you meet someone who is trying to launch himself to the moon in a hermetically sealed 57 Chevy, with onboard oxygen, using a 100 yard high slingshot....you might try and talk him out of it....
    Depends on the guy.

No. I see your point.

19. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post

Just to save the 57 chevy!!

20. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B