Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Top Ten Boating Songs of 2011
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Exclamation
    In 2011, the U.S. recreational boating industry’s non-profit awareness program Discoverboating, asked their 195,000 Face Book fans what music best captures time spent on a boat.

The Top Ten, as chosen by those fans, are listed here with links to videos of those sangs being performed.

I'll not put any of my personal comments here at the start, but WOW is all I can say.

I hope you enjoy the songs and vids.

Then, let's see who agrees with the choices, and their finsh places in the Top Ten....

Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Coming In At Number Ten; Rock The Boat

"Rock the Boat" was featured on the Hues Corporation's 1973 album, Freedom for the Stallion, and was released as the second single from the album in early 1974 to follow-up the title song, which had peaked at #63 on the Hot 100. Initially, "Rock the Boat" appeared as though it would flop, as months went by without any radio airplay or sales activity. Not until the song became a disco/club favorite in New York did Top 40 radio finally pick up on the song, leading the record to finally enter the Hot 100 and zip up the chart to #1 in July of 1974. The record also reached the top 10 in the United Kingdom.

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Number Nine Choice; If I Had A Boat, Lyle Lovett

Live in Texas is a live album by American country music artist Lyle Lovett recorded from July 1995 to September 1995 and released on June 29, 1999.

Track listing
    All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as indicated.

1."Penguins" – 2:35
    2."I've Been to Memphis" – 4:35
    3."That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 5:06
    4."Nobody Knows Me" – 3:07
    5."If I Had a Boat" – 3:19
    Last edited by Ratickle; 01-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Coming In At Number Eight; Sloop John B - The Beach Boys

It was originally a traditional West Indies folk song, possibly recorded earliest by The Weavers under the title “Wreck of the John B”, the song taken from a collection by Carl Sandburg (1927). Alan Lomax made a field recording of the song in Nassau, 1935, under the title “Histe Up the John B. Sail”. This recording appears on the album Bahamas 1935: Chanteys And Anthems From Andros And Cat Island. The song was adapted by Weavers member Lee Hays. The recording of the song which directly influenced The Beach Boys was by The Kingston Trio, who used the title “The Wreck Of The John B”.

This version was ranked #271 on Rolling Stone’s list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Number Seven Song; Boats - Kenny Chesney

An Interview By Dave Herndon in Caribbean Travel & Life with Kenny

Q:The song “Boats” gets to the heart of the matter with the lyric “vessels of freedom, harbors of healing.” How did that song come about?

Kenny: I was with my captain and a couple of songwriting friends off of St. Croix. I could tell a girl on another boat was staring at my boat with binoculars, and I felt like I was on display at the zoo. The tipsy, carefree part of me grabbed a beer and got in the dinghy and went over and introduced myself. After the shock wore off, I asked them where they were from, and her father said they were from Newport, Rhode Island, and that the year before his wife had passed. So he bought a boat and sailed it down.

[Kenny sings:]
    ..Now 40 feet of sail and teak is where John calls home/ He watched his life pass before his eyes in the middle of a hurricane/ Came out on the other side — that’s where the other side got its name.

It wasn’t a literal hurricane; it was his wife’s death and his grief. He got through and came out OK. Of course, I was using my boat as a safe harbor, too. People live in boats for a lot of different reasons — not just to spill drinks on them. We shook hands and had a cocktail, and I thanked him for a great song. Best dinghy ride I ever took!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And The Song At Number Six; Knee Deep - Zac Brown Band, Jimmy Buffett

Quote: "The beach isn't always for relaxing. Zac Brown Band hit the sand in Careyes, Mexico for a hilariously wild ride with their wacky friends Flody Boatwood and his siblings Jody (played by Juliette Lewis) and Brody (played by ZBB bandmate Clay Cook). With additional help from island-dwelling veteran Jimmy Buffet, the superstar group's latest music video is almost more like a three-and-a-half minute action-adventure movie."
    Last edited by Ratickle; 01-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Number Five Song Choice; It's 5 O’Clock Somewhere – Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" is a song performed by Alan Jackson with Jimmy Buffett, and written by Jim "Moose" Brown and Don Rollins. It was released in June 2003 as the lead single from Jackson's 2003 compilation album Greatest Hits Volume II. It spent eight non-consecutive weeks at Number One on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in summer of 2003. In addition, the song hit number 17 on the US Hot 100, making it the biggest pop hit Jackson and the first top forty for Buffet since the seventies. On November 5, 2003, it also won the Country Music Association (CMA) Award for Vocal Event of the Year. The song would go on to become the #3 country song of the Decade on Billboard's Hot Country Songs Chart.

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Number Four Song; Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash

"Southern Cross" is a song written by Stephen Stills and performed by the rock band Crosby, Stills & Nash. It was released in 1982 on the band's Daylight Again album. Stephen Stills sings lead vocals throughout, with Graham Nash joining the final verse.

The song, which peaked at #18, is about a man who sails the world following a failed love affair. During the voyage, the singer takes comfort in sailing ("We got eighty feet of the waterline. / Nicely making way."), in the beauty of the sea, and particularly in the Southern Cross, a constellation by which sailors in the Southern Hemisphere have traditionally navigated. But his final consolation is music ("I have my ship / And all her flags are a flyin' / She is all that I have left / And music is her name.").

Southern Cross is based on the song "Seven League Boots" by Rick and Michael Curtis. Stills explained, "The Curtis Brothers brought a wonderful song called 'Seven League Boots,' but it drifted around too much. I rewrote a new set of words and added a different chorus, a story about a long boat trip I took after my divorce. It's about using the power of the universe to heal your wounds. Once again, I was given somebody's gem and cut and polished it."

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Fans Number Three Song Choice; Redneck Yacht Club – Craig Morgan

"Redneck Yacht Club" is a song sung by country music singer-songwriter Craig Morgan. The second single released from his CD, My Kind of Livin', it peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. The song was certified Gold by the RIAA for sales of 500,000 and was also certified GOLD for digital downloads.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 01-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Fans Runnerup Song in 2011; Come Sail Away - Styx

Come Sail Away" is a song by American progressive rock group Styx, featured on the band's seventh album The Grand Illusion (1977). Upon its release as the lead single from the album, "Come Sail Away" charted at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100, and helped The Grand Illusion achieve multi-platinum sales in 1978. It is one of the biggest hits of Styx' career.

Musically, "Come Sail Away" combines a plaintive, ballad-like opening section (including piano and synthesizer interludes) with a bombastic, guitar-heavy second half. In the middle of the second half of the album version is a minute-long synthesizer instrumental.

Styx member Dennis DeYoung revealed on In the Studio with Redbeard (which devoted an entire episode to the making of The Grand Illusion), that he was depressed when he wrote the track after Styx's first two A&M offerings, Equinox and Crystal Ball, sold fewer units than expected after the success of the single "Lady".

The track became the regular closing track during the band's live set before the encore, and DeYoung now closes nearly all of his live concert performances with a rendition.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And, At Number One; A Pirate Looks at 40 - Jimmy Buffett

This video is from a live performance by Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, VA. It was first released on his 1974 album A1A and "Presents to Send You" is the B-side of the single. Buffett wrote the song about Rusty Janes, at the Chart Room where Buffett first performed after his move to Key West, Florida. The song contains the bittersweet confession of a modern-day pirate as he looks back on the first 40 years and his life and ponders his future.

For radio play, the song was shortened by deleting the fourth verse for the single release. The song is one of Buffett's more popular, and is part of "The Big 8" that he has played at almost all of his concerts, and always during the second set.

12. Collapse Details

i just don't get jimmy buffett. i listen to a lot of diff kinds of music and buffet is the one that makes me change the channel.

csn is my top pick. ok- prob my only pick. not big on country and that leaves styx and beachboys

ill tell you the least favorite-- "im ona boat!- a mother fukin boat!" one whole summer ruined listening to a parade of aholes constantly singing that around the docks.

13. Collapse Details

No comment really...

I do not think too many "artists" target the boating crowd as an audience.

Unfortunately (maybe) (maybe not)

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C35 View Post
    i just don't get jimmy buffett. i listen to a lot of diff kinds of music and buffet is the one that makes me change the channel.

csn is my top pick. ok- prob my only pick. not big on country and that leaves styx and beachboys

ill tell you the least favorite-- "im ona boat!- a mother fukin boat!" one whole summer ruined listening to a parade of aholes constantly singing that around the docks.

He brought it up....

WARNING: DO NOT PLAY AT WORK OR IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILDREN!

"I'm on a Boat" is a single from The Lonely Island's debut album Incredibad. It was also featured as a Saturday Night Live Digital Short.The song features R&B singer T-Pain. The song, produced by Wyshmaster, is a parody of many rap video clichés, especially the music video for the Jay-Z song Big Pimpin [2]. The music video reached number one on YouTube in February 2009 and was number one on the U.S. iTunes music video chart. The song was nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 52nd Grammy Awards.[3] The Lonely Island has also performed the song live on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon with Black Thought filling in for T-Pain. The song went platinum.[4]

15. Collapse Details

No Otis Redding?
    No Kidd Rock?

16. Collapse Details

Apparently they didn't ask PowerBoaters, I think they would have gotten some heavier music.. That being said, here is the ultimate bote song

Oops, wrong lousy song, I meant this lousy song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_9OUvmb5I

Last edited by Ratickle; 01-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Parabellum FJ²B

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Are you sure you got either one right???????

18. Collapse Details

So, I was doing dishes, and like 10 songs popped into my head...
    Ride Captain Ride
    Dreamboat Annie
    Cat Stevens has one.
    Beyond The Sea (Honeydrippers version)
    Brandy
    Come on.......

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Are you sure you got either one right???????
    That was funny.

And what about The Gilligans Island Song? lol

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by C35 View Post

Jimmy Buffett: because not all people with zero musical taste can follow the Grateful Dead.