1. Collapse Details
    BLACK THUNDER POWERBOAT CO .......FOR SALE
    Hey guy's i just got my new issue of Professional Boatbuilder in the mail today and this was in the Classified's www.hotboatmfr.com

2. Collapse Details

The way the sale at powerquest went, I would think 950k is a good deal for a complete company.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it's overpriced. He's had it for sale for quite awhile now.

Powerquest had 30 molds approximately, total cost just over 300,000. Everything else in the facility, including the Sutphen and partially built boats, another just under 300,000. And my personal opinion, that was more than it was worth. But, I am obviously wrong because that is what it sold for.

Black Thunder doesn't have nearly that many models, and not as many assets in the listing.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Its a bad time to sell anything. Maybe after the Obama joke is over. BMAX John should make a offer and keep it going.

5. Collapse Details

the more i read the sale ad the more i smiled. it sounds like a thriving company with an incredibly loyal following.

something smells very odd about that pq deal. theres too many better places to put your money than the boat biz. and if youre looking to bein the boat biz there are still too many better places than pq

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    It does have an incredibly loyal following......

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    It does have an incredibly loyal following......
    Yes it does ...................................

8. Collapse Details

apparently not with guys that buy new boats regularly. im sure theyr good boats but the ad made me laugh-- it painted a rosy picture of a business that im guessing isn't building boats because no one is buying them.

9. Collapse Details

As a former owner of a BT 43' (bought brand new in 1998) and former salesman of the boats for the company for a few years. I can tell you I loved my BT and had an incredible amount of fun with the boat. When the 46' was introduced (43' deck was stretched for the most part) the boat had many problems staying level (wanted to fall off left or right) I understand that issue was corrected some time after I ceased representing them.

The interior was amazing for a go fast boat and if you traveled distances in your boat this was the boat to own.
    My wife at the time, wanted me to get rid of the Miami Vice Scarab and buy a Sea Ray. I said no way! That is when I started looking for something to satisfy her, and found the BT to fit my needs. This is why I named the boat “Our Compromise”

In my opinion anyone that purchase the molds, should be a current boat manufacturer that wants to add this boat to there line as a sport cruiser.
    Making a living these days on what is essentially one length of boat, and three or four styles, is just not a smart plan. Myself and many others tried to get BT to go back and rebuild the 32' as an entry level boat, (was boat they started with) they would not do it. Had they had the 32' and the 46' (43' was still built as flat deck I think) in a couple of different versions, it may have been a better boat company to sell. If you are going to be a one boat size company you better plan on being a full time working owner with one or two employees. And what kind of talent will you be able to bring in with such a small output. In BT's best year or two I think they built and average of one or two boats a month. (1999 -2003) In the last few years 2 or three boats might have been built for the entire year. (might be a couple more) It is going to be tough to bring in the skill nessesary to keep the boats alive on there own merit

Also no major styling cues have been done on the 46 since the early 2000's the molds would have to be revamped to keep up with today’s technology and style. So what is the true value of an outdated mold? (Apache anyone?)

My opinion is that the company is not worth close to the asking price (keep in mind it is an ASKING price not sale price) And what they have to sell is very little in its total is not worth a lot

I saw this company in its Hey Day, I am afraid we now have all seen its Last Day

10. Collapse Details

My old boat running starting at about the 2:30 minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCquwf3SeY

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    My old boat running starting at about the 2:30 minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCquwf3SeY

You should have kept it Marc......

12. Collapse Details

Isnt Marcs boat listed for sale in Missouri or something now?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by endeavor1 View Post
    Isnt Marcs boat listed for sale in Missouri or something now?
    I heard it was but for WAYYY TOOO MUCHH MONEYYY