1. Collapse Details
    Life changing decision!
    Well it has happened, Since my wifes battle last year with breast cancer.We decided that it was time to take control of our future, I have been looking for employment in mid to south Florida, since my daughter and grandson moved down to Northport two years ago, Well I have been offered a position
    as Director of Construction/renovation for Avante Healthcare, a small 20 facility chain based out of Hollywood Fla. This position is similar to what I do for HCR-Manor Care, but now I ahve 70+ facilities covering 4 states, I have been averaging 60,000 miles a year on my personel car out 3-4 days a week, The new position has 20 facilities in 3 states, 11 are in Florida, Now the fun begins, I will accecpt the position today, give Manor care a 30 day notice on Monday, and now I have to sell a 4 bedroom home on an acre and a half in Middleburg HTS, AND find housing in and around FT Lauderdale, Hollywood,
    move the family and two Huskies ! wish me luck!! Once we get settled, I will invite all who want to get away from our wounderful Cleveland winters to come on down for a visit.. give me a year and we will have another Boat!!
    Dave!!:

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that is a big change......

What about people from Michigan???????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Wow, that is a big change......

What about people from Michigan???????
    Funny I have a great group in Michigan, I have facilities in Grand Rapids, Holland, Whitehall!

4. Collapse Details

My son was just recently accepted at Nova in Lauderdale for grad school. We have been pushing both the kids to get out of the Northeast, since it's been dying a slow death since the mid 70's and we're sick of the cold. We figured if they went to school here, they'd marry someone locally and get a career going here, so we'd be stuck if we wanted to be around the kids and grandkids. Long story short, Our plan is to move there. Our younger will likely go to the same school- they're attached at the hip.

On the way flying down I sat next to a businessman who's lived there 20 yeaars- a Detroit transplant. We talked for a few hours about the area, housing, etc. He said Lauderdale is very nice, beyond it being a vacation destination. He says it's completely different from the Miami area. The only downside is that it's next to impossible to not have a home right next to someone else- even if you're spening a couple million. I guess that's not a terrible tradeoff considering you live in a resort area. For me it's a no-brainer. We slug it out for 3 months with frigid weather and 3 or 4 more that are usually cold and raining. This summer I started watching Lauderdale weather. On the typical day in July and August, it was 5 to 10 degrees cooler there than here. I started thinking that it probably wouldn't be 4 degrees there in January, so maybe it's not such a bad trade.

Back to housing... He told me the real estate market is flooded and they're giving houses away. He told me he knew of more than a few you could get for about half what they sold for 10 years ago and with owner financing.

All in all, we're looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be some disappointments, and that maybe we are building it up a bit, but we're dying a slow, cold death around here. The area is so f-ing depressing anymore. Even the inner city slums are being abandoned.

I've heard something about there being some good boating down there too.

5. Collapse Details

Congrats!! Change is good.
    It's a big move. Is the new Co. helping with the move?
    When we moved from Cinci-area out here to AZ, my wife's Co. covered everything. I sat and watched TV while two gals packed everything in the house. The next day 3 guys loaded all the stuff in a semi. All we had to do was load irreplacable/personal items and the 2 dogs into my truck (the Co. had already shipped her truck out here), hook up the boat and start driving. They paid mileage, meals, hotel rooms, everything.
    It was a nice relaxing trip.
    Check this thread out: http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...aly+unemployed

If the house doesn't sell right away, (6 mos max) look into renting it out. Trust me on this. We sat with our house on the market for 1-1/2 yrs. paying for two houses before deciding to rent it out. Tenants just signed a second year lease last month.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

Congratulations on the big move!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

7. Collapse Details

I did it 16 years ago, no regrets!!!! Congrats!!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

I am looking to get out of the Maryland winters. Does that count towards the visit? We (my girl friend and I) are already looking into some places in south Fla. Already decided to rent the house up here. Just going to be hard to find somebody that wants to buy 1/2 of a marine business.