1. Collapse Details
    The Top 100 Most Influential People in Offshore
    There have been many people who have left their mark on the sport and the industry.

Some are still doing it today.

Who do you think belongs on the list of the Top 100?

2. Collapse Details

Please visit our Top 100 page on the new Newsmagazine site.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/the-t...tial-offshore/

While you're there, tell us who you think belongs among the top 100 Most Influential People in Offshore

Not only do we want to identify who the offshore community thinks has made the biggest impact, we want to begin to collect as many pictures and stories on each of these individuals.

We will start a thread for each nominated individual once multiple nominations for that person are received. We are looking for your input on why this individual is deserving to be included.

We're looking forward to some interesting discussion!
    Last edited by Serious Who, What, Where; 11-15-2011 at 06:57 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, trying to clarify if there is any confusion......

Top 100 of all time. Could be alive, could have passed. But if you are going to nominate them, make sure you have your reasons spelled out.

Here are pics of a dozen I believe will make it. What's you opinion?

Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Okay, trying to clarify if there is any confusion......

Top 100 of all time. Could be alive, could have passed. But if you are going to nominate them, make sure you have your reasons spelled out.

Here are pics of a dozen I believe will make it. What's you opinion?

All those names,yet the likes of James Beard (designing successful offshore Cougar cats way before even Hledin came along or even Luhrs),and Sonny Levi,master of so many innovations like surface drives for offshore and the radical Surfury type hulls,don`t even get thought of.Tut,tut!!!!

Problem is,unless these guys got involved with big production numbers of boats,they can be difficult to stack up against the mass produced U.S. craft.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Morning,

There is a reason it's called "Most Influential" and not "Most Famous". So that people like Levi and Beard do have the opportunity to be involved.

Being the most famous doesn't get you in, the guys that come to my mind are people like those you mentioned. Guys who were not only successful on the courses, but guys who influenced the sport in other ways. Designers, builders, organizers etc. in addition to racers and speed addicts to speed.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    All those names,yet the likes of James Beard (designing successful offshore Cougar cats way before even Hledin came along or even Luhrs),and Sonny Levi,master of so many innovations like surface drives for offshore and the radical Surfury type hulls,don`t even get thought of.Tut,tut!!!!

Problem is,unless these guys got involved with big production numbers of boats,they can be difficult to stack up against the mass produced U.S. craft.
    I was fortunate to have particpated in some of the brainstorming for this feature/section/thread. I remember that one of the reasons that it ended up being top 100 rather than top 10 is that there was a universal sentiment that there were tons of folks who weren't getting recognition, and many that were who shouldn't be forgotten. I think that the screen cap that you post was names to get things rolling and the overall hope was that people would come by and add the James Beards and Sonny Levis to the discussion, we'd all learn some history, and guys like James Beard would be represented. It was hoped that people would add those missing. I believe that you were helpful in bringing those up. I think that if more people brought up more guys like James Beard and Sonny Levi, and then reminded folks of some of their history, it would be good and this thread would be what it was intended to be.
    A fun chat about these guys, sharing and learning.
    Heck. Keep em coming.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I was fortunate to have particpated in some of the brainstorming for this feature/section/thread. I remember that one of the reasons that it ended up being top 100 rather than top 10 is that there was a universal sentiment that there were tons of folks who weren't getting recognition, and many that were who shouldn't be forgotten. I think that the screen cap that you post was names to get things rolling and the overall hope was that people would come by and add the James Beards and Sonny Levis to the discussion, we'd all learn some history, and guys like James Beard would be represented. It was hoped that people would add those missing. I believe that you were helpful in bringing those up. I think that if more people brought up more guys like James Beard and Sonny Levi, and then reminded folks of some of their history, it would be good and this thread would be what it was intended to be.
    A fun chat about these guys, sharing and learning.
    Heck. Keep em coming.
    http://powerboatarchive.co.uk/Magazi...torboating.pdf

Here are a few more names from an English boating mag.Many of the names don`t really relate to offshore,but amusing nonetheless.

8. Collapse Details

Thanks. That is an outstanding link. I love reading that stuff. Learned a bunch about folks on both sides of the pond, and how things fell in place at different points in history.
    A few of the names are pretty random, but the article is well worth the read. Thanks again.