Thread: PROCOMP Heads

1. Collapse Details
    PROCOMP Heads
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone have any comments on these BBC aluminum heads? I'm trying to find out about the quality not the suitability. They distributed from a n outfit called White Performance? in Kingsport Tennessee. Thanks.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone have any comments on these BBC aluminum heads? I'm trying to find out about the quality not the suitability. They distributed from a n outfit called White Performance? in Kingsport Tennessee. Thanks.
    I heard no good, a mookoff from dart but the the maschining is no good. The Australian ones ( named PROTOPLINE ) are the good ones !

A lot of people confuse them !

3. Collapse Details

Poor, poor quality. For what it takes to get a set into good, reliable working order you can buy a set of quality heads that won't have porous castings or thin decks, which you cant fix on the procomps.

They are crudely cast in a non-automated chinese plant. Core shift is very common, so wall thicknesses are a crapshoot. The machinework is pretty crude. And they don't flow as well as an 088 head with a decent valve/pocket job. I have heard more than one account of the seats falling out of them.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Called my number one technical engine guy. He said, you get what you pay for so be somewhat cautious. He has never had one crack in any street cars up to 650 HP or boats up to 500 HP. Above that, and in turbo apps, they have. They have a thinner deck, are lighter castings, and have a somewhat goofy port design that stops later porting improvements.

He recommends Dart Pro1 if it is a higher power application or any type of power adders.

(Or, if you want killer inches and power, he'll build you a pair of his billet ones with billet intake...)
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Have not heard many good things about them either. Poor castings, core shifts, and problems lining up intake without oblonging the holes some times.

I believe this is one of the better deals on heads out there.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...bbc-heads.html

6. Collapse Details

Thanks for the fast response and all the information guys. Sometimes I come across these "it seems too good to be true" stuff and.........it ain't.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Thanks for the fast response and all the information guys. Sometimes I come across these "it seems too good to be true" stuff and.........it ain't.
    I use them befor not to bad 360 pro comp 125cc cnc ported on a per of 1000 hp blower motors no problemes yet goinig on 3 years we put are valves in them they were not to pricey for the guys price

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kidapache View Post
    I use them befor not to bad 360 pro comp 125cc cnc ported on a per of 1000 hp blower motors no problemes yet goinig on 3 years we put are valves in them they were not to pricey for the guys price
    I appreciate the input

9. Collapse Details

I have 30 hrs on mine so far... so good. Bought from White Perf also. had inc ex valves installed by them. I took them apart after about 10hrs last winter and all looked ok.

I have the oval ports on mild 454s w/ebrocks. Runs mid 80s in a 30 Velocity at 51-5200rpm

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What would you guess your HP at?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

underdog88, thanks for chiming in on this