Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

How 'bout this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails owners_boats_pg8_3.jpg  
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    I didnt know you had to have a minimum amount of posts under your avatar in order to post on these forums
    Never on here.

I don't care if it is post #1, everyone who treats the existing members like a friend had just introduced them to each other, will be treated the same in return.

What you saw was people getting frustrated because they want to help and felt they were unable to because; A. You didn't really want help but were trying to fit in, or B. You wanted help but was not interested in providing any of the information they needed to help you.

I believe everyone knows how we feel about post counts, what kind (if any) of boat is owned, or how much $ is made or had.

We care about honesty and a passion for the sport of performance boating.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Welcome to the boards mgh. Straight shootin counts for a lot around here. Now that you've narrowed down your search parameters we can really zero in on the right boat. You'll know with more certainty what's a good deal in the marketplace. We all have to accept the fact that there are some folks out there that labor under the misconception that the value of their boat = their original purchase price + price of all improvements. I had the opportunity several years back talking to a fellow who was absolutely convinced that a $35,000 Scarab + $40,000 in work = $75,000 value! Really more humorous than anything; I had to chuckle to myself and just wish him the very best of luck. I'd also like to point out some middle ground in the boating world. Sometimes we can get the impression that a boat is (and I'm exaggerating a bit) either junk or a fully restored masterpiece. It's been my experience that almost everything depends on how you intend to use it. If you feel compelled to keep up with a fast crowd and are obsessed about squeezing every mph out of your machine - brace yourself for 10's of thousands of dollars in engine repair, propellers, powertrain breakdown and all other manner of equipment failure. If you simply enjoy the comfort, safety, looks and sea keeping ability of a decently built deep-vee with the occasional blip up to 70ish mph then you can get along nicely for the cost of fluid changes and basic annual maintenance. Know what you're looking for, yes, but know how you'll use it. Good luck.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    How 'bout this one...
    Love that shot.......

5. Collapse Details

Size : 28
    Power : Twin BBC, 454mag (465hp+)
    Head: N/A (not a deal breaker) bonus if avail
    Speed: 70 mph +
    Budget: south of 50k
    Tow vehicle: N/A (store on 10 ton hoist)
    Cockpit: 2/3 (2 drop out bolsters, rear bench)
    Sunpad preferred, no race scoops on hatch
    That helps. That's a common set up. In fact, I have one in the yard.

I like that Pantera, but its a single. But its lighter too.

6. Collapse Details

Looks like he wants Fundy's ride for less than cost of rebuilds?

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Don't we all????????

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Here you go. 28' Pantera, 700 HP for 29K

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14211
    WOW.....what a super deal !!! i would be all over this one ( who needs twins )???? this is less maintance and SUPER handling and fast !

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    That helps. That's a common set up. In fact, I have one in the yard.

I like that Pantera, but its a single. But its lighter too.
    How do you like your 28 w/twins. I've heard positive and negatives about the pantera's with single/twins. Twins - some say too a** heavy in the rear. Single - some say must have big HP to get a nice mph out of it.

I also bet that a single with big HP may be a lot of stress on the outdrive, unless its a XR +. Wondering how a single bravo 1 would handle big HP with the weight of a pantera/i.e. similar setup singles

Thanks

10. Collapse Details

How do you like your 28 w/twins. I've heard positive and negatives about the pantera's with single/twins. Twins - some say too a** heavy in the rear. Single - some say must have big HP to get a nice mph out of it.

I also bet that a single with big HP may be a lot of stress on the outdrive, unless its a XR +. Wondering how a single bravo 1 would handle big HP with the weight of a pantera/i.e. similar setup singles

Thanks
    Not that I wouldn't enjoy a single in a lighter boat, but I love twins in mine. But the boat is really heavy anyway. One thing I especially like is that I can run each of them a little lower rpms and still have a decent cruise. When I restored the boat, I removed a small amount of weight and moved the tank a couple of inches forward, based on old pics of the attitude in the water. That brought my stern up a tiny bit at idle.

That may be less of an issue with a Pantera, especially more recent. Mine is pretty azz heavy, but the boat was designed for it and it flies really right.

I wouldn't want a single version of my boat, although they did what seems to be a successful conversion from twins to a single blown engine in the 28 called Bad Medicine. I would think that the chances of porpoising or of a "stuff" would go up.

I wouldn't be scared of that 28 Pantera with a single.

I'd be curious what it weighs. My 28 has to be like 8500-9000.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Not that I wouldn't enjoy a single in a lighter boat, but I love twins in mine. But the boat is really heavy anyway. One thing I especially like is that I can run each of them a little lower rpms and still have a decent cruise. When I restored the boat, I removed a small amount of weight and moved the tank a couple of inches forward, based on old pics of the attitude in the water. That brought my stern up a tiny bit at idle.

That may be less of an issue with a Pantera, especially more recent. Mine is pretty azz heavy, but the boat was designed for it and it flies really right.

I wouldn't want a single version of my boat, although they did what seems to be a successful conversion from twins to a single blown engine in the 28 called Bad Medicine. I would think that the chances of porpoising or of a "stuff" would go up.

I wouldn't be scared of that 28 Pantera with a single.

I'd be curious what it weighs. My 28 has to be like 8500-9000.
    WOW...8500-9000...but yeah its an APACHE...
    that Pantera cant be more then 5500 pounds, with that beeing said i wouldnt worry about the drive getting to much stress..since its not pushing a heavy boat.
    And with 700 Hp it has to run well in the 80's i would think.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    WOW...8500-9000...but yeah its an APACHE...
    that Pantera cant be more then 5500 pounds, with that beeing said i wouldnt worry about the drive getting to much stress..since its not pushing a heavy boat.
    And with 700 Hp it has to run well in the 80's i would think.
    Yeah, she's heavy. But the ride is nice.

13. Collapse Details

how about this 91 apache 496 550hp, hyd steering ,new livorsi dash, almost done with redo. 49k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0168.jpg   DSCN0169.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

pic of dash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0170.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

That's pretty much how my dash ended up, but with blue.

I think that 49k is completely reasonable with that power, assuming a major resto.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    In Spring Lake? That's close....

17. Collapse Details

mgh - if that single Pantera doesnt work out for ya you should really take a look at my 25' Powerplay. With its 8' beam it really feels larger and is a great boat for LSC, etc. Rocketship with the procharged 502 yet great manners around the docks. Had a blast with it this summer and hate to sell but need to get caught up on some things...

As always anything I can do to help ya out let me know. I know you've been looking for quite awhile.

18. Collapse Details

And by the way no worries on a single in the right 28. My 29 Phantom is a DREAM with a single engine, wouldn't even want twins honestly. Ran mid-70s with 530hp on the wrong setup (1.36 drive, etc). Shooting to break 90 next year. Plus it is VERY easy to work on if needed

They respond very well to an extension box and even an aggressive x.

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Neil, You want an SVL dont you ? Hehehehe Mike

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet myk View Post
    Neil, You want an SVL dont you ? Hehehehe Mike
    I'll leave that one up to you brother! But you know I'm in!

Just want to finish up the projects I have now. Who knows maybe the cat might actually make it to the water in the next year lol