Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    This one is odd. Worth checking into I think....

http://chico.craigslist.org/boa/2647197335.html

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    to sum things up. i had darryl campbel survey it for me. the boat had elevated moisture in the transom, so i asked the seller if he would make any concessions...he did not return my email or phone or text messages for 3 days. i got a email back saying the boat is not for sale.

the seller never answered my calls to discuss a happy medium for him as a seller and me as a buyer, as I do not know many buyers who would expect a transom to have elevated moisture and that not be an issue. long story short, the guy just fell through. my credit union needed a copy of the title to release a check to me, he never sent it.

when darryl was on his way to do the survey (3 hr drive) the seller called him when he was half way there trying to call of the survey. darryl continued on, and did his job..as he should. something sounded fishy about this. the seller agreed on our sale price through email, pending survey results of coarse and a water test. the guy is deffinetly not a stand up guy. would not even return or answer his cell phone/work phone or emails.

about the price of boats, yes i have been watching the market..i see a lot of this stuff going on

"boat sold last year to a member on the forums for say 30k, new seller relists boat for 35k"

people remember this activity, especially the ones like me who watch for used boats, and ask whats the price increase for???...new seller says, this is a good deal and gets bent out of shape.

how does buying a boat, using it for a year (logging hours) and putting gas it in, increase the value 5k.

we have an offshore in the family, so i know what it costs to maintain and enjoy the sport. and i know what you put in $$ you'd be lucky to get .25 on the dollar for, (if you really intend on selling). not a fire sale...but being a seller with some kind of motivation (whether it is upgrade, or getting out of sport, whatever it is).

another example, someone who spends money on engine upgrades or rebuild. say you spend 10k, you bought the boat for 30k, so you list it for 42/45k??? c'mon -- a buyer is not going to pay you for your labor, well atleast not a smart one!
    This is kind of a real estate agent's view on offshores. The value of an offshore is what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what it sold for last time, or what somebody else got for theirs. If you need an offshore boat that is a good investment, you will be looking forever. And in the course of a year, a classic offshore boat needs a heck of a lot more than fuel. Boats are not investments. Classic offshores are an expensive hobby with a huge cost base. You will never recoup most of the money you spend. A year will not go by without some opportunity for further "investment" that may come as exhaust manifolds, bellows, gimbals, rotten tanks, bad gauges, dead sending units, failed solenoids, cooked alternators, leaking trim rams, bad hoses, stuck trim indicator cables, drive problems, oil changes, water pumps, trailer problems, batteries, tires.... and you do require high HP twins, right?

Then there is your tow vehicle. Well, we assume there is a tow vehicle. You declined to say, like the guy declined to call you back. I guess you didn't want to talk about it.

You do not answer honest questions about your past offshore boats, you don't answer questions about your tow vehicle. You do not participate in the forum community, other than to continually troll for some hidden gem in a barn somewhere that somebody will sell you for pennies on their dollar. Why?
    Why in the world would somebody sell you a boat? The guy who didn't return your call probably realized that he was dealing with someone with elevated expectations. I am reminded of Ted/dreamer, although he actually did buy a boat at least once.

I don't mean to be mean, but based on what I have read from you, and what little you are willing to share with us, your search party, I honestly wouldn't sell you my boat for twice what I have in it. Unless there is something that I do not know, we are wasting our time trying to "help" you. You are simply entertaining yourself.

8. Collapse Details

Here you go. 28' Pantera, 700 HP for 29K

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14211
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Here is a 28 Apache that would probably pass your inspection and moisture test. It also may not need much investment for a while. Your financing is already secured, after all, and you have no budget limitations. It has hydraulic steering and "the good stuff."

http://www.baysideyachts.com/core/li...baysideyachts&

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Fund may be a little short, but I understand his frustration. There is a difference between the way the SOS deals with those asking for assistance, and some of the other sites.

1. If someone asks for assistance, we try to help.
    2. If there is not enough info, we try to help.

We make the assumption that the person is honest, sincere, and truely wants assistance. So;

If you're new to the game, we don't care. If you are not sure what you are looking for, we don't care. What we do care about is that you have some idea of what you would like, and want some assistance locating it. We can't help if we don't know. But, by the same token, if you aren't sure we can also try to help you sort that out. Many of us here have either owned multiple boats, or currently own multiple boats. Many have completely refurbished boats. Some own boat building companies, boat refurbishing companies, etc.

That being said, if you're Serious, look at some of the ones listed and see if there is anything there close to your price range and also something you'd like. If you're not sure, ask. But, when you're asked a question so members can help you, answer to the best of your ability. And if you're not sure, all you have to do is say so.

No one here wants to help you find a 24' open bow and find out you want to go out on Lakes Huron and Erie and spend the nights on the boat.

By the same token, no one wants to find you a 28' Saber with twin Blown Big Blocks and find out your family wants to go for leisurely runs on Lake St Claire.

Hope this helps a little.

If you are Serious, we will try. But, you need to assist.

11. Collapse Details

Here's what we need to know right off the bat to act as personal shoppers for others:
    1) size
    2) power
    3) location of use
    4) head or no head
    5) speed expectations
    6) budget
    7) tow vehicle available
    8) cockpit configuation

Of the above, which is not a complete list, we have 24-32 feet, or 24-28 feet. We also have a stated displeasure with sellers who ask for more than they paid, regardless of what they improved. We have a couple of jokes and a "that's what she said." That's all we've got. Yet the OP keeps stopping back. Makes one wonder.

I didn't mean to be short. I genuinely wanted to help. I have a boat that fits in the vast category that we have narrowed things down to. And it's even in the state of Michigan. Let's say I was interested.

Perhaps it was the disinterest in providing any information at all that could have helped us be of service, and the ignoring of several incredibly pertinent questions, and the dismissing of good advice.

Sorry to be short. Good luck.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

Me LIKEY

13. Collapse Details

It is a sharp boat.
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

Here are more specific search criteria. Sorry to all for being a tad vague on my first post. I agree a boat or a home or any other item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But there is also a false sense of reality with some sellers, not all. Guess I am just venting my frustration.

I dont know any buyers who would not have expectations, especially with survey results. Too each individual a level of expectations are going to be different. You like blue, I like red.

The reason I like these type of forums, because they are helpful, answering peoples questions concerns and getting to know a lot of nice people in the sport.

I didnt know you had to have a minimum amount of posts under your avatar in order to post on these forums...geeze people dont get so bent out of shape

Size : 28
    Power : Twin BBC, 454mag (465hp+)
    Head: N/A (not a deal breaker) bonus if avail
    Speed: 70 mph +
    Budget: south of 50k
    Tow vehicle: N/A (store on 10 ton hoist)
    Cockpit: 2/3 (2 drop out bolsters, rear bench)
    Sunpad preferred, no race scoops on hatch

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Here's what we need to know right off the bat to act as personal shoppers for others:
    1) size
    2) power
    3) location of use
    4) head or no head
    5) speed expectations
    6) budget
    7) tow vehicle available
    8) cockpit configuation

Of the above, which is not a complete list, we have 24-32 feet, or 24-28 feet. We also have a stated displeasure with sellers who ask for more than they paid, regardless of what they improved. We have a couple of jokes and a "that's what she said." That's all we've got. Yet the OP keeps stopping back. Makes one wonder.

I didn't mean to be short. I genuinely wanted to help. I have a boat that fits in the vast category that we have narrowed things down to. And it's even in the state of Michigan. Let's say I was interested.

Perhaps it was the disinterest in providing any information at all that could have helped us be of service, and the ignoring of several incredibly pertinent questions, and the dismissing of good advice.

Sorry to be short. Good luck.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks for the lead on this one - going to follow up

16. Collapse Details

The whole story on this one:
    Dude! Sweet! (Sean) owned it.
    Traded to dounoit (Chris) without power.
    Chris built power and sold it ~6 mos ago. Chris wanted to take a break.
    New owner is looking for a 28 Pantera with twins now - just wants a bit more speed (he runs with a really fast crowd.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

17. Collapse Details

Prior to that, I believe it was owned by Griff.

I can put you in touch w/ at least Sean and Chris - Sean is a really good friend of mine, and Chris is a great guy that I still keep up with a bit. They did their trade deal in my living room 2 yrs. ago.
    The boat has lived in Nebraska ( I believe), then CA, then Tennessee, And this summer New York.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    The whole story on this one:
    Dude! Sweet! (Sean) owned it.
    Traded to dounoit (Chris) without power.
    Chris built power and sold it ~6 mos ago. Chris wanted to take a break.
    New owner is looking for a 28 Pantera with twins now - just wants a bit more speed (he runs with a really fast crowd.
    did this boat originally have SBC twins?

19. Collapse Details

No, Single BBC.

Sean Currently has a 28 single race set-up/layup that can be had for a song less power that was part of the trade deal with Chris, but it's in CA.

20. Collapse Details

In the air !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _W2Z8023Pantera.jpg  
    Parabellum FJ²B