Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Bud when i was growing up, i worked on a red and white Starfire for a man ( Guss King) raced as Starfire , out of Apeco Marina ,Keith Hazel Throttled it ,,do you know where it ended up ,,when we were done he donated it to the Coast Guard,,George Jr.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Weisner View Post
    Then it is not the boat...this Maltese is a 74. Bud
    Both boats also had Volvo drives. My dad actually raced the first 280 TRS boat, a 28' Maltese named Conspiracy, to a world speed record and national championship in 1975. Having said that, these photos could have been from the 1974 season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baby 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike A.; 10-22-2011 at 07:01 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Bud when i was growing up, i worked on a red and white Starfire for a man ( Guss King) raced as Starfire , out of Apeco Marina ,Keith Hazel Throttled it ,,do you know where it ended up ,,when we were done he donated it to the Coast Guard,,George Jr.
    George, Starfire was my dad's chief competition in the Modified class in 1976. I think Gus King's son, Marty, raced with Keith. I also think Starfire was the original Tommy Adams' Miss America. Bottom photo is the M-50 Conspiracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Classics 6.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike A.; 10-22-2011 at 07:04 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sweet Mike, good to hear from you. We try to help Bud all we can. When he's done with one, they are perfect......

Do you know what happened to Conspiracy?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Sweet Mike, good to hear from you. We try to help Bud all we can. When he's done with one, they are perfect......

Do you know what happened to Conspiracy?
    The next owner wrecked it bad and I don't think it ever made it back to the water. We did replace her with an Open class boat though:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Very Nice.

7. Collapse Details
    Gus King's Starfire
    George seeing there where only 34 Starfire's produced, there is a good chance we can locate it. Pictures and HIN # would be a great start. Bud

8. Collapse Details

George seeing there where only 34 Starfire's produced, there is a good chance we can locate it. Pictures and HIN # would be a great start. Bud
    Hey Bud, if I am not mistaken, Magnum made the Starfire model to accommodate the larger Mercury big blocks which would not fit under the standard 27' Sport rear deck. If we are talking about the King's original 27' named "Starfire", that boat was not a Starfire model but a standard Sport. Again, I also think it was Tommy Adams' Miss America before the King's bought it.

9. Collapse Details
    Starfire 27 sport
    From what I gather from George's request I assumed it was a Starfire.If it was a 27 it will be hard to track it down seeing 335 were made.Before the Starfire was made,Roger Munn put big blocks in his current sport and made a new larger rear hatch to accommodate the engines. Bud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roge Munn resize #2.jpg   Roger Munn resize.jpg  
    Last edited by Bud Weisner; 10-23-2011 at 12:18 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    How 'bout these Mags
    From what I gather from George's request I assumed it was a Starfire.If it was a 27 it will be hard to track it down seeing 335 were made.Before the Starfire was made,Roger Munn put big blocks in his current sport and made a new larger rear hatch to accommodate the engines. Bud
    Pictured below are several Mags. If you look at the Miss America, it really looks like the "Starfire" boat George was talking about. The green 28' Maltese, "Tweedy Pie Too Too II" owned by the Krells, won the NORA national championship in 1973 or 4 I think. The red Sport, "Loco Motion" was our first race boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Classics 26.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    I have some pic,s of the Starfire ,,and Bobby Krells tweety ,,,and i think some of Bobby Moores " Wolverine " I,ll dig them out and post..I put the motors in and out of Starfire so many times i wish i had a dime for each,,,Story !! I was towing the Sarfire to Key West one year , hit a stop sign on the side of the trim , it bounced down the side about 15 feet ,,knowing Hazel like I did,, got their , dropped off the boat , ran back to Magnum ,,back to the K.W. spent all night replacing it ,,before Keith and Guss got their the next day,,when they got their , the first thing Guss said was ,,Good Job Jr,, I was like damn how did he know,,fun days,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

12. Collapse Details

George still need to find info on Magnum Force facts and pictures.Check with your dad as well as his picture file he might have something. It is a 1974 Maltese that raced on the West Coast,and had no cabin or cockpit liner.Stripped down for racing,flat front floor & aluminum 3 man bolster.Used Stewart Warner Mechanical guages. See earlier in the post on what it looked like. Had a dark hull with large bottom striping,originally was orange when it left the factory.Running out of time need to get the graphics made before the weather sets in. Bud
    Last edited by Bud Weisner; 10-25-2011 at 11:34 PM.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Did the name look to be painted on the dark hull? Or did it look to be on a later repaint?

And you're thinking it raced in the mid 70's to early 80's?

14. Collapse Details

Bud, no luck from my end; seems that no one that I know has any old pix. Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

15. Collapse Details
    Magnum Force pictures and Info
    We think it was called Magnum Force by what we could see before the boat was getting ready to be painted.According to the build list it came from the factory in a orange colored paint scheme. You can see on one of the first photos that they painted the hull a dark color,and left and orange stripe. That would not of came from the factory like that.
    The boat is a 1974,do not know when it raced however all its wiring and other improvements put it in the racing category.We know some work was done in 1983,however again don't know was it for repair,rigging or new for racing.Check the pictures for additional clues. Bud

16. Collapse Details

Hey Bud, I know you are trying to make it look like she did when she was racing. But if it was me, I would pick a nice bold faunt in red and make the F in force look like a 9 milimeter gun. Then I would make the rest of the graphics period correct. Something like this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag 24.jpg  
    Last edited by Dirty Pearl; 10-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.

17. Collapse Details
    Style of Name
    Any sounds like a good idea...have a call into Bob Teague and some other West Coast racers see if they remember it. Bud

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The oldest OFFSHORE official program is 1986. The boat is not in there as a contestant in 1985.

I'm still digging through old magazines.

Amazing some of the stuff I used to read about....

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    I have some pic,s of the Starfire ,,and Bobby Krells tweety ,,,and i think some of Bobby Moores " Wolverine " I,ll dig them out and post..I put the motors in and out of Starfire so many times i wish i had a dime for each,,,Story !! I was towing the Sarfire to Key West one year , hit a stop sign on the side of the trim , it bounced down the side about 15 feet ,,knowing Hazel like I did,, got their , dropped off the boat , ran back to Magnum ,,back to the K.W. spent all night replacing it ,,before Keith and Guss got their the next day,,when they got their , the first thing Guss said was ,,Good Job Jr,, I was like damn how did he know,,fun days,,
    I Had a similar fate with ( "ken Doyles " ) 38 PHANTOM SUPER-V

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Bud, will you be in Key West????