1. Collapse Details
    Offshore History
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about some of the guys that are going to be at OFF shortly. One of the things that struck me was some of the discussions here, and elsewhere, about different times, different boats, different rules, and different goals.

I have many old articles I've read and kept, so I thought I'd post one out of an old TIME Magazine.

Read it and laugh. But especially pay attention to the closing quote.....

Kind of sums up what some of these old guys are talking about.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Powerboat Racing: Madness off Miami
    Friday, Mar. 04, 1966

They aren't taking volunteers for the Alamo any more, and it is getting harder to find cannibals to invite to lunch. So what does a man do when he's bored and restless (and maybe a little masochistic) and has $50,000 or so to spend? He races powerboats.

Offshore powerboat racing is no delicate art like trying to steer a skittery hydroplane around the smooth surface of a protected lake. It is simple, straightforward stuff: slamming headlong through the open ocean in anything from a souped-up outboard to a PT boat—until your ribs rattle and your face is white with salt. It is madness, of course. But as Ohio Millionaire Merrick Lewis, 41, explained on the eve of last week's Sam Griffith Memorial Race from Miami to Bimini and back: "Once in a while, you have to force yourself into doing something that petrifies you. If you don't, pretty soon you turn into a chunk of Jell-O."

Too New for Money. Lewis, alas, was unable to compete in the 172-mile race himself because he had four broken ribs, three cracked ribs and a gash on his skull—mementos of the Houston Channel Derby two weeks before. But he sent out no fewer than eight of his boats, including Thunderbird, a 32-ft. aluminum "hot dog" powered by two 500-h.p. United Aircraft gas turbines and piloted by Designer-Driver Jim Wynne. So radical that it was classified as experimental (and therefore ineligible for the winner-take-all $3,000 prize), Thunderbird had been clocked at 65 m.p.h. in practice runs. That was enough to make it the prerace favorite, but there was no shortage of high-velocity competition. Miami Boatbuilder Dick Bertram was at the helm of his diesel-powered Brave Moppie, the 1965 world champion. Following in the example of his father, a champion hydroplane racer, Gar Wood Jr. was driving Orca, a needle-nosed, 47-ft. monster that packed 1,200 horses under its deck. British hopes were pinned on Surfury, a molded plywood 36-footer with twin supercharged engines that generated 525 h.p. apiece.

The rest of the fleet consisted mostly of standard inboards and outboards that might have come from a showroom window. But Jerry Langer's No. 10 was strictly do-it-yourself. An out-board-engine dealer from Miami Beach, Langer had borrowed a Fiberglas mold, poured himself a hull, tacked two ordinary 90-h.p. motors on the back. Just before the race, he decided that he didn't like the pitch of his propellers, so he took a hammer and pounded away until they looked "about right."

Two Minutes to Swim. On race day, a 20-knot crosswind was kicking up 10-ft. swells in the northward-flowing Gulf Stream, and visibility was down to half a mile. But away they went anyhow, 31 boats roaring out of Biscayne Bay into the heaving Gulf Stream. Within minutes, last year's Griffith winner, Bill Wishnick, was back at the dock: his co-driver Allen Brown had smashed both ankles on the jolting deck of their 28-ft. Broad Jumper. About the same time, Gar Wood Jr. bounced Orca onto a sand bar off Cape Florida, clambered out, and watched helplessly as his $150,000 craft split open and sank.

After an hour, most of the boats had given up and turned back to port. The rest wished they had. Owner-Driver John Raulerson and a crewman had to be pulled off his wallowing, 33-ft. Tin Fish by the Coast Guard (at week's end the empty boat was still floating somewhere in the Gulf Stream). World Champion Dick Bertram didn't even have time to radio for help. Brave Moppie was blasting along at 50 m.p.h. in second place, behind Thunderbird, when disaster struck. "A red warning light suddenly went on, meaning water in the bilge," Bertram said later. "In two minutes we were swimming." Speculation was that one of Moppie's 550-h.p. diesels had pounded its way clear through her hull—nobody would ever know for sure, because she sank like a rock in 90 fathoms of water. That gave second place to Charles Gardner in Surfury—but with true British sportsmanship, he hove to, hauled Bertram and his two-man crew aboard, and abandoned the race to ferry them back to Miami.

Only four boats reached Bimini, and only two attempted the return trip. Aboard Thunderbird, bearded Jim Wynne was having his problems—his engines cut out three times when waves tossed the boat clear out of water. CoDriver Walt Walters was knocked un conscious when a wave broke across the boat—but Wynne grimly kept going. So, incredibly, did Jerry Langer in his little outboard. Finally, 4 hrs. 45 min. after the start, Thunderbird churned back into Biscayne Bay, and Winner Wynne gratefully stepped ashore, muttering: "Now that was a wingding." Runner-up Langer, who finished 21 hours behind Wynne, could not have agreed more. "Where are the Band-Aids?" was the first question he asked on arrival in Miami. But Dick Bertram, who had lost $65,000 worth of boat and very nearly his life, could hardly wait to do it all over again. "If they made it any easier," he said, "It wouldn't be ocean racing—and I'd quit."
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Just before the race, he decided that he didn't like the pitch of his propellers, so he took a hammer and pounded away until they looked "about right."
    I love it!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

4. Collapse Details

Great article !
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Powerboat Racing: Madness off Miami
    Friday, Mar. 04, 1966

......Finally, 4 hrs. 45 min. after the start, Thunderbird churned back into Biscayne Bay, and Winner Wynne gratefully stepped ashore, muttering: "Now that was a wingding." Runner-up Langer, who finished 21 hours behind Wynne, could not have agreed more. "Where are the Band-Aids?" was the first question he asked on arrival in Miami. But Dick Bertram, who had lost $65,000 worth of boat and very nearly his life, could hardly wait to do it all over again. "If they made it any easier," he said, "It wouldn't be ocean racing—and I'd quit."

Great read!

6. Collapse Details

DAMN..1966, i was MINUS 5....LOL

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    DAMN..1966, i was MINUS 5....LOL
    Yeah Scott, me too..
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Yeah Scott, me too..
    HEHEHE

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details

Rat - Thank you for your posting of the article from Time magazine. That article pretty acurately portrayed some of the offshore races from "back in the day". I did not run in that particular race, but I did run in a couple that fit a similar description and some of those at OFF this year ran in that race and many races with those conditions. However, we also ran in some races that were flat calm, albeit not many. Some folks portray today's "offshore" races as less than "back in the day". I will present a DVD at OFF2011 that asks the question, "HAS THE GAME CHANGED?". The answer is, "YES INDEED.". The next question is, "HAVE WE CHANGED?". The answer to that one is, "HELL NO. IT'S IN THE BLOOD!". The point of my contention has always been that, while today's "offshore" racing is not the same as "back in the day", it is quite simply a different game. Today's game runs at twice the speed and is more sponser and spectator friendly. The fact that today's game runs at twice the speed also consequently, has different safety concerns. Regardless of the improved safety features of the boats, an accident at 80mph is not the same as an accident at 160mph. Therefore, it is a pretty good idea that accident response not be spread out over a 200 miles race course and with a widely dispersed fleet. Would I personally like to see a "back in the day" style offshore race? You bet your ass I would! I am in support of and applaud those that are working to create such events. I am also in support of and applaud those promoting "today" style. NOW, for those that say that "today's' racers only run in flat water, please see the photos from last weeks Orange Beach Race at http://vimeo.com/30400795 . There are many things about OFF that I have been very pleased with. One of the best parts is that, "back in the day" racers and "today" racers get to eat, drink, discuss, argue, lie, wrestle, joke, and most importantly LAUGH with each other. The result has been a greater understanding and appreciation of each other. And remember, IT'S IN THE BLOOD! - Steve Sirois

11. Collapse Details

NOW, for those that say that "today's' racers only run in flat water, please see the photos from last weeks Orange Beach Race at http://vimeo.com/30400795 . There are many things about OFF that I have been very pleased with. One of the best parts is that, "back in the day" racers and "today" racers get to eat, drink, discuss, argue, lie, wrestle, joke, and most importantly LAUGH with each other. The result has been a greater understanding and appreciation of each other. And remember, IT'S IN THE BLOOD! - Steve Sirois[/QUOTE]

NO SH IT.....it was rough and i loved it ... my 1992 Aero-tek was screaming for more..LOL

KW....here we come !