Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Offshore Boat Racing Discussion
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Question
    What do you guys and gals think?

I was online here in Vegas, saw this article about the POPBRA race at San Diego. This little clip is an interesting thought. It caught my attention, so I'm curious of what you think....

Offshore powerboats could steal the thunder

Offshore boats possess three things that make them popular with aficionados of powerboat racing – size, speed and noise.

They can put on a show, particularly when leaping waves in the open ocean.

The problem is, very few spectators are ever out on the open ocean to witness offshore powerboat races. And television can't do offshore powerboats justice.

There is no backdrop on the open ocean to measure the size and speed of the boats. Cars race from turn to turn and against backdrops that fly by. You can sense the speed. It just doesn't happen with offshore powerboats.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Registered
    The cameras are pointing the wrong direction .
    modern offshore , is only a few hundred yards from shore .
    Plenty of shore shots to show motion .
    Also the thunder needs to be audible .
    The basics , could make superboat racing film freindly .

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    One or two boats in a class doesnt make it viewer friendly! Besides all the politics!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

4. Collapse Details

The economic situation we are all in right now is not helping.

But really, 3 or 4 race sanction bodies all with different variations of the same rules confuse spectators.
    They, (any sanction body) should bring back the Factory 1 and Factory 2 class definitions. The largest fleets we ever had were in those two classes. It was real racing because of the sealed engine format, stock type drives, production based hulls, nobody had a clear equipment advantage.
    It was all about proper set up for the conditions, the nut behind the wheel and the individual on the sticks.

I used to go to a lot of OPC boat race events but the racers themselves screwed that up too. They used to have entry level FE class 13 ft v-bottom 70 HP Hydrostream VooDoo's . Used top be real fun to watch about 10 or 15 of those boats chine walk and wave hop around a 1 mile course and with no power trim allowed, you could see who was really willing to hang it out to get around it.

And real Mod VP racing were you could take the family ski boat with a little work and go race Saturday and ski on Sunday. Then they screwed it up and allowed Stokers and STV's (which are really just tunnel boats) in the class and it was a money thing.

Maybe with all the hype right now about Center Consoles, somebody should try a CC outboard class.

5. Collapse Details

Paul,
    Whoever wrote that hit the nail on the head. Even close in racing doesn't convey the power of open ocean racing. I know very little about the class specifications, politics, even playing fields issues or numbers of boats in class situations. I am very sure however about the following: EVERY PERSON from almost every walk of life, career or hobby interest who I've sent the old 41' Apache (yellow boat) you tube link to has been been blown away by what they saw.However, I don't think that this fact in itself necessarily makes offshore racing a commercially viable/stable enterprise. We may just have to accept the reality that not every one of man's extreme pursuits - however cool- is going to be available for mass consumption and therefore financially exploitable. - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    well said, old guy ,,offshore people a few,,most who enjoy have either raced, one time or another or at the very least been on a fast run down the bay,,some have some relation to the sport,,,330,000,000 americans ,,were the 1% at best,,,but i,m sure we all love it,!
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Clayfan View Post

But really, 3 or 4 race sanction bodies all with different variations of the same rules confuse spectators.
    They, (any sanction body) should bring back the Factory 1 and Factory 2 class definitions. The largest fleets we ever had were in those two classes. It was real racing because of the sealed engine format, stock type drives, production based hulls, nobody had a clear equipment advantage.
    It was all about proper set up for the conditions, the nut behind the wheel and the individual on the sticks.
    F-1 and F-2 is where it was at.
    I also really enjoyed the P-class boats.
    It all was real, and seemed to be something "attainable" for the average guy.
    When you started getting to super-vee, super-vee lite, super cat... etc...
    It became harder to understand who was racing who.

But in today's economy, there is not much of a market for a "race on Sunday, fun on Monday" marketed boat. Hell, there aren't even many manufacturers to put a boat in that class.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Alright now. Won't make many friends with this but, I don't care.

The best days racing were when Mercury was a part of it. Everybody can say what they want but, its been all down hill since Mercury withdrew. The best classes now and historically were classes Mercury built for. Presently Stock Outboard, Cat Light, SVL, Cat 850 { 850 and 750 should be the same class but that is another different conversation} are usually classes that put on a good show and have good racing.

Back in the late 80's it was Open, Modified, Production and stock. All big classes by any standard. All Mercury supported.

More recently the racers and fans alike loved the Factory classes.. Go figure Mercury supported. Mercury Inspected.

Mercury went away so did the rules. Now you either have no rules and a GPS, some classes for a few individuals to collect trophies and the spec classes doing the best the can to find some order.

So here we are a few of the last remaining Mercury classes matching up in size with a couple good bracket classes and everyone else is a winner.

Its a damn shame and I miss Mercury's' support.

9. Collapse Details

well your right ,,sometimes ,the truth hurts !

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So, Mercury's support was a key factor in the past. What of their ideas and disciplines can we use to build for the future? It is very doubtful they will return with the type of support of the past. Or that anyone else will jump in to fill that role.

11. Collapse Details

THE ONES WHO KNOW DON,T CARE
    THE ONES WHO CARE DON,T KNOW

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Like it was posted on the other site, there is more talk of a couple of boats going around Long Island than any race this year.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    Like it was posted on the other site, there is more talk of a couple of boats going around Long Island than any race this year.
    That's true, too bad.....

I'm glad they pulled that run off, Charlie sure took a bunch of abuse on that contest.... 3/4's of that thread is the usual BS from the usual BS'rs though, just trying to find something wrong with everything.........

Back on track here, do you think the reason Merc was so successful was the $, or because the rules were set and strictly enforced?

It seems to me that one of the most successful classes there was were the Supercats where almost anyone could build a motor at their shop (or go get a motor sponsor to build one). It seemed to fall apart when they changed the rules to Sterlings only, (or something like that). I believe there were 14 of them at Key West in 2003.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    That is because people like to only talk about negative !!!! 99% u never hear about any positive !

ALL THIS INTERNET CHAT..doesnt help either !
    To much BS...THE GUYS THAT ENJOY...just race and screw the rest ..who cares where and who....just have fun !

My 2 c

but again..who cares.....

15. Collapse Details

Let's face it.....drug money was a part of the success in the old days........those drugs are still coming in....probably 3 times more than in the 80's.....How do we tap into that resource????

And If the races are more than 12 miles offshore we can bring in big tobacco as sponsors!!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Let's face it.....drug money was a part of the success in the old days........those drugs are still coming in....probably 3 times more than in the 80's.....How do we tap into that resource????

And If the races are more than 12 miles offshore we can bring in big tobacco as sponsors!!!

Therein lies some of the stigma, if drugs are being run, who really wants to be linked up with that, if you have a legit business?? you dont need that or the people involved to bring you down!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of being a spectator at the San Diego event and I have to say that the racing was very good Unlimited Hydro's, UL Hydro's, GP hydro's, drag boats, and Powerboat P1 which had the race of the weekend it was like watching NASCAR on the water spins, banging, and rubbing!!!! And in the words of Harry Hogg Rubbin is racin Son!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I had the pleasure of being a spectator at the San Diego event and I have to say that the racing was very good Unlimited Hydro's, UL Hydro's, GP hydro's, drag boats, and Powerboat P1 which had the race of the weekend it was like watching NASCAR on the water spins, banging, and rubbing!!!! And in the words of Harry Hogg Rubbin is racin Son!!!!!
    SEAN, BE REAL..like i used to know ya !!!! PLS !!!!!!

dont tell me u really care about P1 or Hydros...YOUR AN OFFSHORE RACER and crew up back when.....NUFF SAID !!!!!

Racing was fun back then in the days of 'FREE MONEY' and it still should be today !

Well, its not cheap....but some peopel ..most make it sound like its all about money ..ITS NOT !

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    SEAN, BE REAL..like i used to know ya !!!! PLS !!!!!!

dont tell me u really care about P1 or Hydros...YOUR AN OFFSHORE RACER and crew up back when.....NUFF SAID !!!!!

Racing was fun back then in the days of 'FREE MONEY' and it still should be today !

Well, its not cheap....but some peopel ..most make it sound like its all about money ..ITS NOT !
    I beg to differ its all about money stud!!!!

20. Collapse Details

If the money was like it used to be we wouldn't have all of the