Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The problem is, very few spectators are ever out on the open ocean to witness offshore powerboat races. And television can't do offshore powerboats justice.

There is no backdrop on the open ocean to measure the size and speed of the boats. Cars race from turn to turn and against backdrops that fly by. You can sense the speed. It just doesn't happen with offshore powerboats. [/I][/B]
    I totally agree. For most, they just do not realize the speed. This is exactly why we need a race back at Lake of the Ozarks! I know it is not "offshore", but plenty of spectators on and off the water, and the "closeness" really makes the perspective of speed come out.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    If the money was like it used to be we wouldn't have all of the
    My point !
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My point !
    I understand 100% you and Sean....but i still think and proof all the time it can be done without money ! just sayin !

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    I understand 100% you and Sean....but i still think and proof all the time it can be done without money ! just sayin !
    No money no honey.....just sayin
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

5. Collapse Details

So they had P1 racing the same body of water as hydroplanes?? May have been some banging, but offshore???? Doubt it would ever work, but me thinks with Horba having a few different potential races, the other orgs should each pick one of them and make it so that if you want a to qualify for one of the many "world championships" you have to race one legitimate offshore race during the season. something more than roundy round in a river or 45 minutes running up and down a beach.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are some outstanding Offshore courses being run out there. Key West, Michigan City, Sarasota, Atlantic City, Miami, etc.

I do wish more of them would take an Offshore triangle shaped course, more like Key West does. At least for a couple of the laps. Michigan City would be outstanding if they did that......

They don't have to go completely out of sight,. just almost.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    There are some outstanding Offshore courses being run out there. Key West, Michigan City, Sarasota, Atlantic City, Miami, etc.

I do wish more of them would take an Offshore triangle shaped course, more like Key West does. At least for a couple of the laps. Michigan City would be outstanding if they did that......

They don't have to go completely out of sight,. just almost.......
    I would like that too, but did u know that most of the newer race boats only carry 40-50 gallons of fuel ?!

Mine is 115 gallons..lol

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    They all carry enough to make the final in Key West. That is a reasonable distance for an offshore race.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    For years I have heard the courses are brought in close and laps shorter for the fans.

So can anyone tell me what has that brought to offshore besides saving fuel?

It used to be a challenge, it took endurance and stamina, throttling and navigating were skills necessary to save equipment and complete the race.

Now the races are short like test laps. It takes longer to clean the boat then it does to race the race.

Everything that attracted me to the sport is now gone. Its now everything but OFFSHORE.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    So they had P1 racing the same body of water as hydroplanes?? May have been some banging, but offshore???? Doubt it would ever work, but me thinks with Horba having a few different potential races, the other orgs should each pick one of them and make it so that if you want a to qualify for one of the many "world championships" you have to race one legitimate offshore race during the season. something more than roundy round in a river or 45 minutes running up and down a beach.
    Yes the venue in San Diego ran the same course as the hydros and was bumpy and the course in NC was pretty bumpy as well according to the racers that were there!!!!

11. Collapse Details

phragle Believe it or not there was a time when you had to compete in 3 races and place in one to be eligible to race the Worlds.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    ....but i still think and proof all the time it can be done without money ! just sayin !
    Something to be proud of I guess.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I believe monsy is one of the reasons there are the vast majority of the boats running classes 4, 5, and 6 in the sport classes. And that SVL and Stock Outboard have the most in the Spec classes. Most of the "Big" money is currently being used for other things than Offshore Boat Racing......

14. Collapse Details

I know of some stuff that has money behind it and is growing legs at a very fast pace!!!