Thread: Donzi Doral

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

That's the one. It was mid-2008 when I was leaving notes on doors. Before I said screw it and bought the Apache.
    The owner was the half-brother of my friend who used to own it. I barely knew him. His father called me (long story that won't make it on this thread) and shot me a high number, plus the fact that one side was suspected pooched back then. I walked away thinking that the father was padding the price for his broker fee, quite frankly. I want to say that the dad wanted 9k. I would have paid 4k and repowered it back then. I would not now. IMO it needs new/rebuilt small blocks. The cabin was screwed up in a failed restoration as well. I have memories of glue soaking through upholstery or carpet, all over the underside of the deck/cabin top. Maybe that was redone.
    The bottom was redone by a local glass shop in around 2003 maybe. They ground out blisters, reglassed the bottom and painted it with bottom paint. Had to have gained a little weight. Didn't seem to ruin the performance/attitude/handling or anything. Based on other restorations I have done, at this point the tank should be suspect.

My guess is that it has not been run since the "left" side motor started failing, which is why he would trade a 24 foot boat with 350s for a 23-25 foot boat with a 350.

One nice thing is how smoothly the 270 drives always shifted. Especially considering the age. I think that it would be worth restoring for somebody who really appreciates Dorals. I want to say that he used to see almost 60 with sbcs, and the basic trim settings of the 270s.

2. Collapse Details

For 4k, I would rather buy this back. It was my very first project, a 1979 Nova. I sold it to a Canadian who has had trouble free service ever since. This is a recent pic. Ok, now it's a hijack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01024.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Crainium View Post
    The boat was sitting on Laskey Road at the Old Douglas Fence Lot .
    I dont know if it is still in there or not. If I recall one of the Heidtmans owned it at one time.
    Maybe there were two in town this was in the last couple of years and i think the color was a brown or red .I did not stop and look at the boat, but they are distinctive in style.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Crainium View Post
    Maybe there were two in town this was in the last couple of years and i think the color was a brown or red .I did not stop and look at the boat, but they are distinctive in style.
    Not sure if it's the photo exposure or what, but in real life that boat in the ad looks much more tan. Especially next to a white boat.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    $4000 is getting in the reasonable range.......
    Sounds like it needs engine work, and the transom I bet is wet.

6. Collapse Details

Is this the hull design that went on to become the 24/26 Sonic, and stetched out to be the 30/31?

7. Collapse Details

yes the molds wound up at sonic

8. Collapse Details

here's the way I last saw that doral in stony pt. this was late winter early spring '11.

the boat is not too far from me, about a 20 minute ride maybe a little longer some roads between me and the hudson are gone due to Irene. but i would be happy to go look at it for anyone who might be interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tuxdoral.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here.
    I googled donzi doral & they dropped me right in the middle of this thread.
    I've only ever seen one & was thrilled to find a kinship here.
    You guys still want to talk about these.
    I've had mine since mid 80s & when I got it calling it shot would be a kind.
    You could stick your fingers in the cracks in the exhaust manifolds.
    Out drives gone. Had 188 fords. The motor mounts & all wood was like Styrofoam.
    Here's some pics {of pics] Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00929.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	74006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00930.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	74007

10. Collapse Details

welcome. any recent pix?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

11. Collapse Details

Well, no.
    You don't need to see a tarp over a trailer.
    I love my boat to death but, to compete here in Ft. Laud. with the ramp crowd, the speed limits, cops giving tickets, gas prices & now we can't drink beer well, It's been out of the water for a wile.
    But, I'm retired now & have more time to boat on off times I'm really missing it & the good times I've had on it.
    My motors are 1987s loop charged. They are fire crackers. There is nothing like a new motor. There are enough problems w/o wondering if it will start. I feel like I may be should go thru the boat again & re power it. I hope you guys are not mad at me over the out boards. I'm thinking may be one 300 or so could be a better choice this time. The T 140 were the bomb. That boat danced with those. I've only ever seen one like mine & he was in the water too. So we raced. He still had IOs. I wooped him. He couldn't pop out of the water like me. I had to pull back because I wanted to see his boat. We rode next to each other for short time & split up.
    So any thoughts on the 300 hp what ever. I bet the new ones run like a top. 4 stroke, FI & I bet super dependable. probably 20 G. My 140s were 7 G each in 87.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So,

Yours had twin IO's, but it was in such bad shape you converted it to twin outboards?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Looks cool with the O/B's ....but I'm biased that way !
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

Ya,
    It's a good thing I wanted it or he should had paid me to take it.
    I put a B Bracket on it & 2 brand new 140 CR. Loop charged Evenrudes. I built knees , 4 of them.
    Glassed about 10-- 1/4 in ply wood sheets across the transom. One layer after another. Screwed, glued &glassed. Then the knees & braces & glassed it all in. Had the wind shield out. Painted it & the bracket, Evenrude blue. Blue rope rub rail. Nice. They were to be a 20 year motor. They are 25 yrs old now. Best bang for the buck.
    I built it to be a bar boat. It stopped at every bar side dock up & down the inter coastal.
    I had a 16.7 Donzi. What a blast. but when you'd get some where you'd be origami.
    My bud comes over one day and says "I found your next boat". He was right.
    It's every thing the 16 wasn't. That wind shield is everything. And to be able to stand up.
    I made the racing bolster/speaker cabinets my self. You can sit on the back of them like the king & the wind just streams above your eyes. How bout the pad in the back that slides down to the overstuffed back seat. That pic in the ocean was taken by the guy in the helicopter who dose that & sells you the pic. Glad we had cloths on.
    So what do ya think?
    A 300hp, I like Evenrude. Or don't tamper with success & stick with twins.
    Think my B Bracket could take a single.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'd stick with twins personally. A pair of 200's or 225's from Merc would make a sweet combo on that 24....

16. Collapse Details

Cool boat!
    As Rat said, I'd stay with twins. 225's sounds about right.
    I'm not an eggbeater guy, but from everything I've read that is where I'd go.
    Keep us posted !

17. Collapse Details

We may have all gone to the same school here.
    There's no replacement for displacement !
    I may not be serious enough & may be not even offshore enough to run with you guys.
    I don't know how much faster I could want that boat to go. It does About 55 & I can't often do that long enough be for I have to slow down for something. It's not the race boat it looks like. From what I understand the two guys that bought the biz from Don wanted to get into sport luxury boats. This was there first effort. Mine has A head & the seats were no race seats.
    I wanted to set it up to go to Bimini but never made that trip. In the 90s they liked to cut your boat open when you'd get to port everglades for fun. It's better now you can call in from home when you get there.
    You guys on this thread are from all over. Some of you guys sure have a lot of posts.
    I like this place. I like the way the pic expand when you click on them. If my scanner worked I toss in a lot more pics for eye candy

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I think it would plane off with a single 200 or 225 if one broke. That's my thinking.....

Anyone?

19. Collapse Details

Really cool old boat for sure. ANd I agree, a couple 225s would be fun on that thing.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

20. Collapse Details

For some of the southernly situated people on this board, 55 MPH would be blazingly fast!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson