Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Around Long Island race ...Postponed to 2012
    Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    2011 Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race…Postponed to 2012

Unfortunately the 2011 race, that was to be a tribute to Don Aronow has been postponed to 2012, due to lack of entries. The minimum number of entrants needed to make the race both a financial and competitive success was never met and the promoters decided to cancel rather than run the race as a poor imitation of the famous race that Don Aronow actually competed in.

While the Americans have a hard time convincing their racers of the viability of a real 271 mile open ocean race, the British are preparing for their 2,500 mile open ocean race from Cowes, England to Monte Carlo, in 2013. Although still two years away, the required 50 teams have already put up their non refundable deposits and a waiting list is being added in case of any drop outs.

The Around Long Island promoters are trying to find a sponsor for next year’s event, with the hopes of attracting more pre race publicity and help to defray the overhead. A sponsor who is looking to promote their brand in the Metro New York market could use the event to showcase their product before millions of potential users.

Initially an annual three race series was proposed to allow today’s offshore boaters the opportunity to actually race over the famous old courses. In July, a 200 plus mile course for the Great Lakes, in September, the Around Long Island 271 mile event and in November, the Fort Lauderdale to Key West 210 mile run would round out the year.

The following had expressed serious interest in running this race this year.
    38 Fountain w/ 4 300 HP Mercs outboards and 400 gallon fuel capacity
    19 Monza w/400 small block, 70 gallon fuel capacity
    24 Banana Boat / 454, 65 gallon fuel capacity
    31 Sonic, 8.2 Mercs, 160 gallon fuel tanks
    51 Outerlimits, 1550 HP Sterlings, 280 fuel capacity
    30 Sonic w/Small blocks and Alpha drives. LAST YEARS CHAMP
    52 Outerlimits w/ quad diesels

With only 2 of the above tentative entries confirmed/entered, the promoters have decided to postpone this year’s event and reschedule for next year.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

So they had quite a few more than last year,and if they would have run it
    they would have had more next year,, you dont attract boats,spectatots and newsmedia by cancelling events.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by htrdlncn View Post
    So they had quite a few more than last year,and if they would have run it
    they would have had more next year,, you dont attract boats,spectatots and newsmedia by cancelling events.
    I thought that I read somewhere that only two actually confirmed registration.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    they ran it with 3 boats last year?
    Ryan Beckley

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There were more entries last year I believe. Only 3 answered the starting horn though I think. I'll double check, so don't quote me.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    WHATEVER! It's pretty chicken **** that it was cancelled 5 days before the event anyway you want to put it. Lot's of people had put in a ton of effort to get there and then to pull the plug at the 12th hour will really cause people to lose faith. We had talked about doing this event and I know a few others did as well but no one could get a clear answer on canopied boats.... I know Charlie was a big time racer back in the day and won some races but his recent actions don't give his events a lot of credibility for the future.
    Ryan Beckley

7. Collapse Details

There are some interesting perspectives on this unfortunate outcome.
    From reading all the various posts from people who almost registered, but for myriad reasons were unable or unwilling to commit, it looks like it was tough to figure out exactly who was really coming (or not) until the last minute. Talk about a rock and a hard place. I have to imagine that it was a difficult decision. Perhaps that had something to do with the delay. Perhaps it was hope.

I see this in my business all the time. You try to put something together, but you are at the mercy of people who are out of your control. And they are the consituent, so you can't be too pushy. You can lead horse to water....

Shame for the two boats who actually registered. Those guys are probably more disappointed than the people who meant to, hoped to, intended to, planned to, wanted to, but never did.

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Another issue is because of the scheduling it worked out to tbe the same wekend as the Solomons race...

I don't know that either organization had an option, but it sure makes sceduling a boat more difficult.....

9. Collapse Details

Charlie, what was the great lakes course?

10. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Charlie, what was the great lakes course?
    We wanted to run over the old courses, so anywhere, as long as it was an old course and was at least 200 miles. We raced in Ohio and Michigan many times.

Same with Florida, the old course was Miami to Key West, but that was only 185 miles, so we wanted to start in Fort Lauderdale and then to Key West.

As you can see by the post above......There are many that talk, talk, talk, out there, but few that can do it.

Anyone who wants to take on the running of the races in either Florida or the Great Lakes go for it.....see how easy it is.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Charlie,

There is some talk there may be a group go anyway? Anything brewing that you're aware of?

Paul

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And give us your thoughts on the Great Lakes course and time. I'm looking at my 1986 OFFSHORE Program now and do not see a marathon distance type race in it from 85 or 86.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    No need to answer Charlie, saw your new thread. Congrats....

14. Collapse Details

OL won with Ilmores!Scro&someone else!Nice run this year maybe a few boats will show!

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Did you read our #10 story of the Top Stories of 2011 about the race a couple days ago????

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/11-in...land-marathon/

16. Collapse Details

Just an observation. As an englishman who was lucky enough to witness the big anniversary race in Cowes a couple of years ago as a spectator (along with the effort that a lot of people made to be part of it), I am amazed that the country that, let's face it, is the true home of the sport (USA) cannot pull enough entries out of the woodwork for such an event. It seems to me that when something like this event is initially publicised, a lot of enthusiasm appears forthcoming. But come crunch time, they slowly disappear. Why is that? The richest nation on the planet with it's vast boating population cannot put together even 20 boats for what would be a tribute to the man considered the greatest contributor to the sport? I don't get it. Enlighten me!

17. Collapse Details

its not hard to figure. to do this you had to wear helmets, jackets and kill switches. and you had to leave the cooler at home. plus your girlfriend couldnt ride on the sunpad. f-it. im going to a poker run instead.

not too many people in this country care much abt anything else that the shortest route to a quick thrill. and they sure as hell don't want anyone ruining their fun with rules.

im guessing that in gb you don't get our tv shows. you wanna know what the avg american has going on in their heads? check out the garbage they piss their lives away staring at every night.

couple yrs ago they had the miami to bimini race. not rlly a race but timed run. nobody showed. i guess no one in fl knows what to do when they can't see the shore anymore. more fun to idle to the bar anyway.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    That's a bit rough.....

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Is Cowes Torquay Cowes the only true big offshore race left in Europe? I saw that on a video clip a couple years ago I believe.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
    Just an observation. As an englishman who was lucky enough to witness the big anniversary race in Cowes a couple of years ago as a spectator (along with the effort that a lot of people made to be part of it), I am amazed that the country that, let's face it, is the true home of the sport (USA) cannot pull enough entries out of the woodwork for such an event. It seems to me that when something like this event is initially publicised, a lot of enthusiasm appears forthcoming. But come crunch time, they slowly disappear. Why is that? The richest nation on the planet with it's vast boating population cannot put together even 20 boats for what would be a tribute to the man considered the greatest contributor to the sport? I don't get it. Enlighten me!
    I think Charlie is gone to Miami for a week, but I'll see what I can come up with from the old-timers.

My first opinion, no fortune, only fame......