Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

C35 I take your point. Rat - yes. In fact it may be the only really 'big' race left on the planet! It's only thanks to a lot of behind the scenes people that the event takes place at all, otherwise it would disappear very quickly. It amazes me that there are enough keen people left in Europe who want to run in such a tough demanding race. I consider myself lucky to be able to witness such an event for it still holds a magical place in the hearts of many over here. The fact that it has for the past few years actually started outside of the Solent due to Health & Safety fears hasn't helped from a spectator/sponsor point of view, but just meandering around the marina at Cowes taking in the atmosphere - it's the stuff of childhood memories and the glory days of Offshore.

2. Collapse Details

This teaser vid is of a DVD being put together in the UK - high definition footage from last years event. Can't wait to see the final DVD!:-

http://vimeo.com/28408999

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    That's a bit rough.....
    im not talking abt the guys that are out there racing now. im talking about why more arent. the poker run is a delicious distraction for a guy who is more into the fun surrounding boating and less into really boating. never met a real offshore powerboater that could stand getting passed by anyone anytime and that's how the sport began.

racing gives you a sense that you did something. americans used to be like that. now they like watching other people do things.

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
    Just an observation. As an englishman who was lucky enough to witness the big anniversary race in Cowes a couple of years ago as a spectator (along with the effort that a lot of people made to be part of it), I am amazed that the country that, let's face it, is the true home of the sport (USA) cannot pull enough entries out of the woodwork for such an event. It seems to me that when something like this event is initially publicised, a lot of enthusiasm appears forthcoming. But come crunch time, they slowly disappear. Why is that? The richest nation on the planet with it's vast boating population cannot put together even 20 boats for what would be a tribute to the man considered the greatest contributor to the sport? I don't get it. Enlighten me!
    Nige....the biggest difference is the fact that the open ocean racing here in the USA has morphed into the beach runs. Cowes has had one generation of racers and organizers to pass down, the how to do a race like that, to the next group coming up. We simply do not have that here. I was a racer, never involved behind the scenes of promoting or organizing. So, Billy Frenz and I have a steep learning curve on how to put the pieces together.

Next you have people who are used to showing up on the morning of a poker run....and are allowed to participate. You know in Europe, you have to have your deposit in months before the race date. This year we have announced the date...Sept, 22 very early so people can plan better.

We plan to announce the entry fee and the various factions that will come together to support the new .....New York Speed Festival. The Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon, which will be 271 miles long. The new Bill Wishnick Memorial Trophy Dash, which will be 100 miles long. This new race will start at Port Washington, with the marathon boats, but will only run to Orient Point.

In the Bill Wishnick race we are working with a specific group of racers to bring their boats, as they have enough fuel to run those miles. Also we are adding an auto concours display to add to the Speed Festival atmosphere.

Maybe 50 years from now we will also have seasoned race organizers as you have in England, to continue the weekend.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This will make for a great discussion. Both sides of the "Pond" working together for a few Key long distance races.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Thanks Charlie for your views. I guess the further away we get from the old school days, the less interest there will be in re-igniting the true offshore nature of what racing was all about back then, even if it's for just the odd race here and there. Good luck with everything - I hope that the events are well supported.

8. Collapse Details
    True Offshore
    All this conjecture why these true offshore races aren`t attracting entries.Strikes me with the Key West problems,one is on the threshold of seeing these whizzer races cut back with health and safety rampant and organisers just not wanting to risk it.
    Surely 100mph in rough seas is challenge enough for most competitors,as opposed to 150mph round a beach loop with a good prospect of wiping out both boat and organiser in one fell swoop.When will it be,150mph,200mph before it all goes up in smoke as being just to lethal to do it.
    A 4.000 hp gas turbine boat may look air sucking in the pits,but to use it`s full potential around a short loop seems wasted.
    So now we have superfast boats on the wrong courses, and if left to true offshore would come unstuck with the rescue scenario.
    Imagine if F1 motor racing went unchecked and the power went skywards on the courses,you`d be wiping out the field in no time.
    The penny has to drop some time soon,that we cannot continue to produce boats that are so quick as to have a good chance of an accident,and the power checked to still provide competitive racing.
    Weve`e had 50yrs of offshore and now are approaching an era where some sober thought is needed as to what we really want out there.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I do not know the answers, or even pretend to have better ideas than anyone else. here is one thing I amfairly certain will change this year for sure.

In the past there has been a strict 150 mph breakout rule in Turbine in OPA, and a even stricter breakout rule of 155 mph in SBI. These have been ignored because there is only one boat running by itself in every race, so why bother? I'm sure the insurance companies will insist the rules they have set in palce for maximum allowed speeds are enforced. They are not average speeds as some pretend, they are absolute maximums, not to exceed.

OPA, TURBINE CLASS RULES
    8. Boat speed is limited to 150 MPH at any given time for all boats, no exceptions.

SBI, TURBINE Class Rules

2011 Technical Rulebook 9/22/2011 Page 75 of 77

9. TURBINE CLASS

9.1 Turbines Class Boats CAN NOT EXCEED 155 MPH any time during the event. If any Turbine class boat exceeds the above stated speed during the event the Boat will be disqualified from the event and fined $500.00 for the first offence. A second offence during the season the boat and crew will be suspended for 2 additional events, and a third infraction the boat and crew could be a suspended for the balance of the season or 12 months.

10. Collapse Details
    TURBINE INFO
    Interesting info Rat.Thanks for that.

It might be stating the obvious,but why create a boat capable of 150mph plus when common sense dictates you should have a ruling as you describe.

If one started from a base line of 150mph (which is high enough anyway,to provoke the safety issues destroying the sport, by making it impossible for the organisers to function as they would like),then are we saying that the turbines available are so powerful that one hasn`t got the increments of power that petrol engines have in selecting the right engine for that speed.

Here in the UK we already have safety issues for true offshore i.e. OP I & II which are now called Marathon Boats for some reason,such that a race like the Cowes - Torquay - Cowes runs as before, except that the organisers have great difficulty now in recruiting enough safety boats,such that the marathon boats have to be capable of surviving way out to sea,and canopy boats thus bring there own problems to be sorted.Marathon races are 100nm min,so no round the bay stuff here for that class,so U.S. races off the beach although covered by better safety boat cover are almost stuck with that now,unless one goes for the Long Island type races,thereby requiring the old school type racing craft,as per CTC style.

It seems bizarre that we have 150 mph boats hardly using that speed for long before a turn mark comes up.

Like it or not,if the safety cover dictates the style of course,and thereby allows the organisers to work,then these speed restrictions will be a way of life,and is that so bad as long as there is competitive racing.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The rule has always been there, just never enforced. Now, with the events of last year, it will have to be. The reason for the rule was insurance. If you look at the insurance paperwork for the individual race sites, the provision was specifically there in the one I know of for absolute sure, just not enforced.

APBA was the only organization with no maximum speed rule, which is also OSS. I understand they are also discussing possibly implementing it at this time. We'll know for sure soon with them.