1. Collapse Details
    Don Aronow Memorial race ...Sept 24th
    Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    HORBA is extending a special invitation to enter the Second Annual Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon.

This is old school racing just like in the 60's 70's and 80's. With real open ocean racing, you don't have to run 10/10ths, you just have to have a well prepared boat and crew who know how to read a chart.

Last year the event was won by a 1987 30 foot Sonic, with twin small blocks and Alpha drives with showers on them. Pure pleasure boat, not a special built race boat.

There are many ports around Long Island for refueling along the way. The winner stopped in Shinnecock last year for a refueling stop.

There is a small boat class also, that starts before the bigger boats. Make it a once in a lifetime experience......do it just like the legneds of the past did. A great way to end your boating season....nice memories all winter.

Presented by HORBA and Billy Frenz's National Powerboat Assocoiation. www.nationalpowerboat.com

Smallest entry for the small boat class is an 18 foot Donzi and we have the largest at 50 feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aronow.jpg  
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Gotta say...Next to the Bahama500, ALIMA twice in the late 60s was just about the most enjoyable time I ever had with my clothes on. HUGE credit to Charlie, Billy, et al for doing this. I wish I had the resources to do it again. For those of you that never had this experience, you will miss the ride of your life it you don't do it now. - Steve Sirois

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Steve, you should offer to donate your experience to a team who needs a little experience, but have the boat......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

I whould love to try&complete a run like that or at least attempt it is there a map of how they run it?Ocean 1st or the Long island Sound?

5. Collapse Details

It would be fun, but I don't think my old creaky body could take it anymore. I do remember that "back in the day", I was too dumb to realize that it hurt :-)

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    It would be fun, but I don't think my old creaky body could take it anymore. I do remember that "back in the day", I was too dumb to realize that it hurt :-)
    Charlie made it last year........

No Problem.......

7. Collapse Details
    Red face
    Charlie's in a hell of lot better shape than me...Plus...ask him how he felt for several days afterward. At 68 years of age, and in lousy shape, I think I'll leave that kind of fun to others. When I said , "I wish I had the resources", I was referring to more than just the moola. And to top it all off....I don't think I could get a "kitchen pass" a couple of weeks before OFF. I think I will spend that weekend at the beach watching the grandkids and nursing a cold beer. Best Regards - Old Seeroy

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You need to talk one of the guys with the hydraulic cushion seats into taking you along......

That would be a fun race to do someday. Hopefully it grows back into a huge event like the old days.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    I whould love to try&complete a run like that or at least attempt it is there a map of how they run it?Ocean 1st or the Long island Sound?
    Look on the NPBA website....scroll down to the right side of the page until you get to the Don Aronow LI info. Scroll down again to the map....we start on the north side of the island and go over the sound around Montauk and back by the beach to the city and up to the Start/Finish line.

Real endurance racing is not all 10/10ths running, you have to be smart on how much speed to use and when to use it.

Just before I got on the boat last year, Bobby Saccenti called me on my cell to wish me good luck and he reminded me of a trick, we pulled on the new racers back in the day. We would go up to a new racer before the start and "let him in on a secret"

"Hey Joe, we just wanted you to know that there is a prize of $1,000 to the first boat to get to the first checkpoint. Yeah, everyone knows all about it, it just isn't publicized"

Yes, the did go for it and yes, they did blow up the engines most of the time and that took care of them for the rest of the race.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Charlie made it last year........

No Problem.......
    Dam right I did .........and it only took until Thursday, before I could get out of bed without help.

I can't help thinking that I'm still 33 years old.......I get scared sometimes when I look into a mirror and see that old guy looking back.

Last year was a gift and a blessing that I am very aware of and very thankful for.

Check out You tube .....Bushmills 1979 The older I get, the faster I was!!

11. Collapse Details

Every race team gets a copy of SEARACE.

HORBA is donating one book per team with the hopes the teams will pass the books among themselves for signatures and the books become keepsakes for all time. 600 plus pages of pure offshore history by John Crouse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SEARACE promo0002 (Small).jpg   SEARACE promo0001 (Small).jpg   SEARACE book 020 (Small).jpg  

SEARACE book 021 (Small).jpg   SEARACE book 017 (Small).jpg   SEARACE book 030 (Small).jpg  

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Charlie's in a hell of lot better shape than me...Plus...ask him how he felt for several days afterward. At 68 years of age, and in lousy shape, I think I'll leave that kind of fun to others. When I said , "I wish I had the resources", I was referring to more than just the moola. And to top it all off....I don't think I could get a "kitchen pass" a couple of weeks before OFF. I think I will spend that weekend at the beach watching the grandkids and nursing a cold beer. Best Regards - Old Seeroy
    Here are two other winner's of the Around Long Island race.......Brownie to the far left and Odell standing between Brownie and me at OFF last year.....and I'm glad I didn't have to compete with either of these guys or Seeroy last year....they tell you how hurting they are.... as they run off into the sunset and grab the checker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Around Long Island race winners.bmp