Thread: GTO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GTO
    Thought I would put this out there, my Dad is selling his 70 GTO. Didn't know if anyone might be looking or know someone. Frame off restaration,400, 4-speed.Car has 6000 mi since being complete. Very clean car. The under side is as clean as the rest of the car. He is asking $27,200. Original GTO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GTO PIC'S 003.jpg   GTO PIC'S 010.jpg   GTO PIC'S 011.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Always loved the '70. My uncle had a '70 Bermuda Blue 400/4spd, and a friend of mine had a triple black '70 convertible, 400/auto.

A buddy of mine just finished his '70 Chevelle. Car is sick. Silver with black stripes, black interior, built up 502 making 600+hp, and a 4spd. hydroboost wilwood brakes, all kinds of goodies. He has a ton of dough in it, but came out perfect.

Ill ask around for you if any of my buddies might be interested. Is it a numbers matching car?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0646.jpg   IMAG0645.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

That's an awesome looking Chevelle. One of my buddies is a big Chevelle nut, he has his original Chevelle from when he was 16 and I still have my Challenger from when I was 16.
    Yes numbers matching but not the original engine. Has a date code correct engine. My Dad had the vin decoded. If I remember right the car came from the factory Silver with a black top. He took the car on trade. He has had it now for two years and I think drove it a hand full of times and is tired of it all ready. I've been driving it to a couple of the car show's and it's a blast to drive.

Hope to get the Bullet back on the water Labor day weekend. I ended up ordering new Stainless Marine Exhaust. Should have the manifolds Friday, the risers I have to measure and they are going to make them to fit.

4. Collapse Details

Nice Goat.

5. Collapse Details

Sweet rides for sure!

6. Collapse Details

Ive always been a sucker for vinyl tops on those years. My uncles Bermuda blue 70 GTO had a white vinyl top, and pink judge stripes added. He bought it a couple years old, and traded it in for a brand new Gold 78 Trans Am in 1977. As a little kid, I used to LOVE that Gold T/A. Cruising around with him in with the T-tops off felt like the coolest thing in the world at that time. I ended up getting a loan from my mom when I was 16, to buy it off my uncle in 1996. It was bone stock with 50k miles on it when i got it. Then I pretty much ripped all the smog crap off, and built the motor up. Went from a 180HP 6.6 400 to a real ripper, with just minor headwork, cam, intake, etc. Stock they were such slugs!! Once I bought the T/A, my uncle went and bought a 71 Buick GS, silver with white vinyl top, white interior, factory Ram Air setup. He still has it now, real nice survivor car. You may have seen him at some shows or cruise nights. He hangs out with my other uncle who has a 76 Olds Regency 98 coupe, that he bought new, and doesnt even have 30k miles on the clock yet 35 years later. Probably still has the original plug wires on it still!

7. Collapse Details

Do you still have the T/A? Those T/A's are bringing some good money now. Those Buick GS's were sweet cars, my buddy is restoring one right now.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eightsecmopar View Post
    Do you still have the T/A? Those T/A's are bringing some good money now. Those Buick GS's were sweet cars, my buddy is restoring one right now.
    No, sold it about 9 years ago. I let it go for 8500 bucks. What a mistake. The car did not have one speck of rust, only seen rain a few times. I owned that 78 and went and bought a brand new 2001 sunset Orange six speed WS6 T/A.. it was pretty neat having both in my garage and deciding which one I was gonna take to dayton Ohio for the annual trans am nationals. The 78 won the toss.

9. Collapse Details

You had a LS1 T/A ?!? I`ve been a member of Midwest F body Association./. MFBA forever.
    My first one was an LT1 that I did too much to and wasn`t daily drivable anymore.
    The LS1 was a Firehawk, did the usual cam, heads, headers etc.. I miss those cars.
    Love the T tops.. and doing 150mph
    Red is my favorite color but that sunset orange is a close second

That was my Hawk:

10. Collapse Details

NICE GTO!

As for the T/A fanclub...count me in. One of my best childhood memories was when my dad bought an '81 Turbo. I was (and still am) a HUGE Smokey and the Bandit fan...when he brought that home, I about fell over. He had it through 1988, and sold it to some family friends with something like 40k on it (he had bought a 1987 Vette and didn't need two sportscars). They kept it in terrific shape, and my parents bought it back and gave it to me for a 21st birthday present...total surprise...once again, I about fell over. I got my best time between Purdue (Michelle's school) and Ball State (my school) in that car! Alas...I sold it to buy my parent's S-10 Blazer as it was more conducive to mountain bike racing (it was REALLY tough to get a bike in and out of the back seat of the T/A). That car will always be "the one that got away" to me.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    You had a LS1 T/A ?!? I`ve been a member of Midwest F body Association./. MFBA forever.
    My first one was an LT1 that I did too much to and wasn`t daily drivable anymore.
    The LS1 was a Firehawk, did the usual cam, heads, headers etc.. I miss those cars.
    Love the T tops.. and doing 150mph
    Red is my favorite color but that sunset orange is a close second

That was my Hawk:
    Nice Firehawk Dan! Yup, I bought my LS1 T/A spring of 2001. That was the first year for the Sunset Orange color. I remember dealers usually only having 1 WS6 package car or something like that. I had a hard time finding the combo I wanted. Not that there were all that many options, but one of them I wanted was the shorter throw "Hurst" shifter option for the six speed. That was also when they were phasing out the traditional 17" WS6 wheels, for the ones that were more satin finished, found on the 2002 cars. So some sunset orange 01's had the satin wheels, which I didnt want. So I had to shop around a little to find one with the Hurst six speed and correct wheels.

The LS1 Cars were really bad a$$ for their time. My buddy Pat had a bone stock WS6 automatic T/A, that ran 13.3 at the track. Stock tires, everything. Which was pretty fast, considering most stock 5.0 mustangs, LT1 cars, and 5.7 TPI cars were pretty much 14-15 second cars from the factory. My 78 T/A with the stock 6.6 400, stock exhaust, and stock rear end, ran high 15's. Factory horsepower rating for those old 400CI motors of the late 70s, was 220HP! And they were heavy cars. After some minor work, exhaust, heads, cam, intake, convertor, and rear end, ran mid 13's. But was no were near as a performance car as the 2001 T/A. Sorry for the crappy pics, kinda old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0897.jpg   IMAG0898.jpg   IMAG0899.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

I hear ya mike about the back seat of those old T/A's!!

I think the Turbo cars are bringing in some money now too. The last Pontiac 400CI I believe was made in 1978. For the 1979 year, the only way to get the Pontiac 400, was with a 4 speed. The engines were carryovers from 78. All 1979's got the 403 oldsmobile motor, with automatics. Some California emissions models got the 403 olds from 77-78 too. The motor to have though back then was the Pontiac 400. Mainly because they responded better to mods, and there was more stuff avaliable parts wise. The 403 was a short lived engine. By 1980, the big CI motors were gone.

One reason I think the 73-79 Trans Am's were so popular, and production was thru the roof on them, was because they were the only american Muscle car available with big CI engines in their time. Pontiac was still putting 455CI and 400CI in the Trans Ams, while the biggest engine you could get in a camaro or corvette at the time was the 350CI, and that was it. Mustangs in the 70's, well, pretty much were a joke after about 73. Probably the baddest production car of the Smog Era, was the 1973-1974 "Super Duty" Trans Am's. They were 455CI, rated at 290HP, but that was compared to chevy's measly 160hp 350CI. The Super Duty T/A's always brought big money, and still are today.

I think it would be cool to get a 41 apache and power it with Pontiac "Indian" power. That would really be the official "CHEIF".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagesCAZ54KVV.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I think it would be cool to get a 41 apache and power it with Pontiac "Indian" power. That would really be the official "CHEIF".
    I'd go with some "Big Chief" power......

http://awesomeengines.biz/632ci-1240...12-race-engin/
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I hear ya mike about the back seat of those old T/A's!!

I think the Turbo cars are bringing in some money now too. The last Pontiac 400CI I believe was made in 1978. For the 1979 year, the only way to get the Pontiac 400, was with a 4 speed. The engines were carryovers from 78. All 1979's got the 403 oldsmobile motor, with automatics. Some California emissions models got the 403 olds from 77-78 too. The motor to have though back then was the Pontiac 400. Mainly because they responded better to mods, and there was more stuff avaliable parts wise. The 403 was a short lived engine. By 1980, the big CI motors were gone.

One reason I think the 73-79 Trans Am's were so popular, and production was thru the roof on them, was because they were the only american Muscle car available with big CI engines in their time. Pontiac was still putting 455CI and 400CI in the Trans Ams, while the biggest engine you could get in a camaro or corvette at the time was the 350CI, and that was it. Mustangs in the 70's, well, pretty much were a joke after about 73. Probably the baddest production car of the Smog Era, was the 1973-1974 "Super Duty" Trans Am's. They were 455CI, rated at 290HP, but that was compared to chevy's measly 160hp 350CI. The Super Duty T/A's always brought big money, and still are today.

Even the Vette 454 only had 275 HP.

15. Collapse Details

There's a dude that brings a bright red/orange 1973 455HO T/A to the car show every week in Frankfort. God I love that car.

My dad also had a 1976 T/A with side pipes. He had to get rid of it when my sister was born...and my mom burned her calves one too many times!

16. Collapse Details

How about a 2800HP twin turbo all aluminum EFI Pontiac 482CI?

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ild/index.html

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    How about a 2800HP twin turbo all aluminum EFI Pontiac 482CI?

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ild/index.html
    But that's on Alcohol, only 2200 on gas.......

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    There's a dude that brings a bright red/orange 1973 455HO T/A to the car show every week in Frankfort. God I love that car.

My dad also had a 1976 T/A with side pipes. He had to get rid of it when my sister was born...and my mom burned her calves one too many times!
    Sweet! Side Pipes were commonly found on some hopped up T/As. In 1976 they made a sweet 50th anniversary edition. 76 was the last year for the 455 option. BOOO

I may be wrong on this, but if that guys 73 T/A shaker scoop is labeled "SD 455" that was a correct decal for a Superduty car. I think the standard 455 car in 1973, would have said only "455" on the shaker. I believe the "455 HO" was relative to the 1971-72 cars. Kind of like the 77-78 cars. If the shaker was labeled "6.6" it either had a standard 400, or 403 olds. If it said "T/A 6.6" you had the hopped up 400 Pontiac, and more than likely the WS6 handling package. I used to be big into the 70's Trans Am's as you can tell. I'd like to get another, but now a NICE 77-78 SE car are 20-30k bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1d8352800.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

I had a 1980 Formula that was a sharp ride, black with silver Formulas stripes, t-tops, and Keystone Classics But...it had the 301
    Then a 1979 Nocturn Blue T/A. Light blue inside, no bird on the hood. I got that with under 30,000 miles on it. Still my favorite car ever! 403 Olds 6.6. Nocats and I had 3 shakers for it. Stock, and open bell from a 73 SD car, and one off a 78 that I made a ss flapper for that I could open and close. Used to fill it full of octane boost and race gas and crank the timing way advanced. It ran dead consistent 12.80s at the track like that. Cooler full of ice and beer, spare tire, and tool box in trunk too.
    I got a 1994 Formula too. Put an aftermarket ram air hood and rims on that car. The LT1 was a lot faster than what I ever thought they would be. Just driving back and forth to work I would look down and see I was going 130+ w/o really thinking I was hauling a$$.
    Always have my eye open for another '79, would LOVE an anniversary car

20. Collapse Details

This is EXACTLY what I want. I would grow a mustache for this car. It came out awesome.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 08-19-2011 at 11:27 AM.