Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I hate boat trailers.
    It is awesome when your axle just decides to snap while going down the road. Weld broke where the axle stub is welded to the tube. Makes for lots of smoke, lots of work, and lots of throwing tools. Besides replacing all the brakes, all the hubs, drums, bearings, welding new pieces on, replacing winch straps and cables, fixing bunks, replacing tires....just curious, when does it end? Hard to believe something so simple, can be such a p.i.t.a.

I see these guys rolling around the highways with these beat up, makeshift old yard trailers, towing boats that they weren't designed for, 15 year old tires, and bearings probably havent been greased in years, and shake my head. Then again, my custom built Myco isn't doing so much better lately!!

2. Collapse Details

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0853.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Many boaters spend lots on the boat but nothing on the trailer! It's all about maintance! Look at your trailer once a year, do the bearings, check the lights, check the tires and axles! AT THE VERY LEAST! We do offer an axle service for $75 per axle. We clean and repack the bearings, check the axle, springs, frame, lights tires.....everything! Do this and you will have less issues on the road!

4. Collapse Details

Joe, call me if you need axle help.. Being in Elkhart, I can get them CHEAP!!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottc View Post
    Many boaters spend lots on the boat but nothing on the trailer! It's all about maintance! Look at your trailer once a year, do the bearings, check the lights, check the tires and axles! AT THE VERY LEAST! We do offer an axle service for $75 per axle. We clean and repack the bearings, check the axle, springs, frame, lights tires.....everything! Do this and you will have less issues on the road!
    Believe me, if anyone does preventitive maintainance its me! Last month, the trailer got tires, brand new brakes and drums, new bearings, all new wiring, and a new winch strap.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by teamsynergy View Post
    Joe, call me if you need axle help.. Being in Elkhart, I can get them CHEAP!!!
    Hey Todd. Just got off the phone with Dexter axle in elkhart. Told them where the axle broke. Lifetime warranty against weld defects! They said it takes under 24 hours to build me a new axle. All I need to do is verify measurments, provide a picture, and send them the failed part of the axle. Myco wants 350.00 bucks plus shipping for the axle. 241.00 from dexter, plus ground shipping. Then once I send them the proof of the failure, they will reimburse me for the cost. This is good. So i just may be able to attend the races.

7. Collapse Details

Wow! Now I don't feel quite so bad about my POS trailer! Of course, I have installed a new master cylinder (which required drilling the frame with a hole saw to get to), new tow strap, all new brakes and hubs, new bearings three times in six years (once due to failure), new bunks, new carpet, new welds where I almost ripped the front axle off, all new LED lights, a quick paint job (thanks Brian!), two new rims (due to cracking), all six new tires, PLUS a spare (mine got stolen) and (no joke) about 8 or 9 flat tires (two on the highway, one that cause the fender to get peeled up and break a mount, ripping a hole in it). So no, Joe, it doesn't end. I've got another rim ready to crack as we speak.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Hey Todd. Just got off the phone with Dexter axle in elkhart. Told them where the axle broke. Lifetime warranty against weld defects! They said it takes under 24 hours to build me a new axle. All I need to do is verify measurments, provide a picture, and send them the failed part of the axle. Myco wants 350.00 bucks plus shipping for the axle. 241.00 from dexter, plus ground shipping. Then once I send them the proof of the failure, they will reimburse me for the cost. This is good. So i just may be able to attend the races.
    Call me if you need help with anything...

9. Collapse Details

I hate them too. Ruined my 3rd master cylinder 2 weeks ago. I am at the point of paying one of my techs to come over after work and get it fixed!!! Boat trailers, sled trailers they all $uck!

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    There is definitely always something to fix or maintenance on a trailer. I bought my boat in Alabama last October and lost a bearing on the way home. All of the axles had just been greased prior to heading home. Already replaced carpet and 1 bunk. New winch and strap. Still needs more work.

11. Collapse Details

Thats why i hat tripple axles...BUT JOE..BUY A NEW ONE they are like 300 bucks .

AND CALL ME !!!

12. Collapse Details

Good to know that Dexter is treating you well.
    Good Luck with the fix.

13. Collapse Details

I had a axle bend on my little cat trailer a few years ago, it wasn't toast but the tire wear was not tolerable. Turns out the axle was a custom made deal from Century and I couldn't get Dexter to make one for me. Century didn't have the S/N on file so I made a very detailed CAD drawing for them to use. Two weeks late the axle showed up and it was wrong. Spoke to their engineer and asked if my drawing was inadequate and he said it was fine. Sent it back and three weeks later the correct axle arrived. Basically lost 6 weeks waiting for something I thought would take a week or two. Trailer issues suck especially with a low profile West Coast deal.

Good luck!

14. Collapse Details

Joe, will the new Dexter axle have the spindle drilled for grease to get to the back bearing like the Myco does?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Payton View Post
    Joe, will the new Dexter axle have the spindle drilled for grease to get to the back bearing like the Myco does?
    Myco axles are DEXTER !!!!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Cool, I didn't know that.

17. Collapse Details

I feel your pain Joe, everything kept breaking on my old trailer. Now that I have the Diesel I just drag it behind the truck.

Only thing that went wrong is the strap broke but those are cheap.

18. Collapse Details

Joe jinxed me, I spent sat morning fixing a broken brake line. Nice goin Joe!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    Joe jinxed me, I spent sat morning fixing a broken brake line. Nice goin Joe!
    Welcome to my world Dan!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Welcome to my world Dan!
    its any boaters world...its just always something ...we still all love it !