Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Northern Illinois Powerboat Club Poker Run - A recap
    [B]One man's account of the Northern Illinois Offshore Club Poker Run in Kenosha, WI.[B]

Raticle Paul asked me to create a blow-by-blow account of what happens when the good people of bad influence attend a boating event. The following is the best I could do, considering the lack of sleep I've had in the past few days.

For those who are unfamiliar, bad influence is an extremely inclusive group of people that have met for the most part through a common love of going fast on water and living in a somewhat contiguous area. The nucleous of the group existed years before myself and the late Brian Miller (Straight Jacket) actually created a fitting moniker...but the name has not only stuck, but proven to be quite accurate. We tend to suck in a few members whereever we go...even if only for a drunken night they may or may not choose to remember.

So, here goes what happened insofar as I can recall, starring SOS members teamsynergy, Obnoxus, BobZubik, PaulB32, ICDEDPPL, Exhilaration, Kool-Aid Man, A-b, and myself.

2. Collapse Details

Friday, July 15

The migration begins.

My lovely wife Michelle and I jumped in the big red Bubba truck with the red hot sommer in tow and headed towards a weekend of fun behind the Cheddar Curtain. We arrived in lovely Kenosha in the early afternoon, and quickly found our cohorts Todd and Amy of teamsynergy with their 31 Sonic “Sofa King Fast.” After lauching and finding our slip, we had Todd and Amy aboard for a little blast outside the harbor walls. The water was 1-2 foot with an occasional roller, we ran south down the shoreline towards Illinois and managed to get 78 mph with a full load of fuel and small props. My new Wesco racing motors performed flawlessly (as always), and I was a happy guy. We just drifted outside the pierhead for a bit, as it was WAY too hot to sit in the marina, and watched the rest of the b.i.o. clowns roll in.

Pics: Todd and myself, Michelle and Amy, Dennis (Obnoxus) showing his sad face as he told us he has sold his boat...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5042.jpg   DSC_5043.jpg   DSC_5044.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Friday night

This was NIOC’s first shot at this particular event, but the organization and coordination was first rate, thanks to Brad, Tom, Rose and Phil. We got signed up on Friday night and met a bunch of the other Poker Runners…some old friends we don’t see all the time, and some new ones that we hope are still speaking with us next time we run into them. It was Bob Z’s birthday, so, on top of our usual need to celebrate Friday night, we had to turn it up a notch. Our group enjoyed some early afternoon cocktails at the Kenosha Yacht Club during the sign-in, then some pre-dinner cocktails at the Harborside restaurant (conveniently walking distance from the marina), followed by some cocktails accompanying dinner. And then we went to a bar. For the record, you do not need to drink around these people, but it helps.

Pics: Leo (exhilaration) and PaulB32, Michelle and Mrs. Obnoxus Cheryl, BZ gets ALL the chicks, me attempting to consume THREE rum and cokes simulataneously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01448.jpg   DSC01452.jpg   DSC01458.jpg  

DSC01462.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Saturday July 16

As this was the occasion of the 37th anniversary of my birth, I was pretty much confident that it was going to be a good day. It dawned entirely to early for those who decided that shots were a good idea at Captain Mike’s Bar around midnight, but my refusal to take part in that bit of debauchery meant a clear head without the aid of Advil (proud sponsor, bad influence offshore). We idled over to the Yacht Club in an annoying drizzle that seemed to only appear just AFTER wiping down the deck from the last drizzle. The sky was overcast, the air was humid, and the sun was just not able to pierce through, but it hardly dampened the spirit of the event. Seeing all the boats rafted together is just part of the dream I live in when it comes to events like this, and with a count up around 60 and 250 participants, what a dream it was. I pulled in next to a gorgeous 38 Hustler, and was flanked on the other side by a 38 Fountain. In front of me was a 42 Cigarette with triple 700s, Dan Davies’ Global Warmer 40 Fountain race, and Shogren’s 42 Fountain Poker Run with 700s. Behind me was Brad Zastrow’s 39 MTI Wildcat and dozens of other eye-popping fiberglass works of art.

Repping bad influence were: Bob Z 42 Fountain “Purple Aces,” Kool-Aid Man Brian Bobb’s 38 Top Gun “I Didn’t Drink the Kool-Aid,” PaulB32’s 36 Baja “Psychotic Addiction,” Obnoxus’ 36 Baja “Size Matters II,” ICDEDPPL’s 33 Baja, teamsynergy’s 31 Sonic and my 35 Fountain.

Lineup at the Yacht Club...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5048.jpg   DSC_5046.jpg   DSC_5049.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

At the drivers meeting, we were informed that there would be two starting waves…the first would be paced by Mike Lovergine in a 42 Fountain and was for boats that would be cruising at 60 mph or below. The second was to be paced by a beautiful 39 Top Gun, and would be for boats 60+. We decided to go with the second group, which was to leave 10 minutes after the first. Did I mention that some people in our little crowd have trouble with directions? Yeah…well…I’m guessing that’s why we ended up leaving in the first group…with the exception of teamsynergy Todd, who I’m sure wanted to enjoy catching the rest of us (he runs in the 90s). I was the last to respond, as my motors weren’t even running when the first group took off, so I was at the back of the pack. I fired it up and jumped on plane, catching some of the slower boats right away and heading out to find flat water farther offshore. We were running right around 80, so we brought back quite a few boats that were just cruising. The water was about as flat as I’ve ever seen, but the on/off drizzle was a bit annoying.

Idling out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5051.jpg   DSC_5053.jpg   DSC_5055.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Off and running. In BZ's 42 on flat water, A-b and Jeffy decide to take at nap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5059.jpg   DSC_5060.jpg   DSC_5063.jpg  

6.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

We hit Milwaukee and just joined the line of boats heading upriver. Having never been there before, we just sat in and motored…by this time, the sun was out and it was likely nearing the projected high of 90. We wound up at the Horny Goat, which was PACKED with some serious horsepower. Rafted up next to another 35 Fountain and had Jim Porter’s 34 Phantom on the other side.

YES...I do wax the deck A LOT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5072.jpg   DSC_5075.jpg   DSC_5077.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Looks like a damn good time !
    Parabellum FJ˛B

9. Collapse Details

Raft up at the Horny Goat. Had to celebrate ma birthday...NO I did not drink it all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7160194.jpg   P7160196.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

We started back with the intention of stopping off in Racine, but were sidetracked stopping to help a 36 Baja first, and then a 46 Black Thunder. We tend to operate under the “leave no man behind” methodology, so seeing boats with hatches up means pulling up to make sure they are good. Our time grew short, so we headed straight back to Kenosha to shower up and get ready for the night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5086.jpg   DSC_5088.jpg   DSC_5037.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

The dinner and accompanying festivities were held at the Kenosha Yacht Club. Poker cards were drawn, and though I did considerably better than my usual pair of 3s, I was still out of the running, as were all the rest of us. So…it was time so start consuming mass quantities of rum. The rest of the evening is somewhat of a blur, but did include a 50-50 raffle and prize giveaways including an Ad-traction mat supplied by our very own Kool-aid Man Brian, and 3 flat-screen tvs.

I took up a collection for poor Kirk, who ran out of gas three miles from Kenosha...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2357.jpg   IMG_2358.jpg   IMG_2361.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

sweet pics!!

13. Collapse Details

Then, it was off to Captain Mike’s for another evening of debauchery. We danced. We drank. We danced some more. We put Bon Jovi in the jukebox. It was good.

Somehow ICDEDPPL Dan caught a big gust of wind...

I'll put more up tomorrow...but I gotta sleep now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2354.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some cool stuff there......

That is about as flat as I've seen the lake.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

Very nice write up...

16. Collapse Details

Nice writeup Mike....on the list for next year!

17. Collapse Details

I didn`t know Mike was a Author !? Geez kid

I have some other vides I didn`t post in the Chicago section:

Cafe Racer.. I think he thought I wanted to race when I blew my horn at the Cruiser now that I watch the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HHa6lKv7g

This is about mid way thru, I was just keeping a nice even pace at around not pushing anything too much.. it was fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abfZuYTUeVY

Now I thought we had numbers for the helicopter to take pics.. I want some pics dammit!anyone know where they can be found??

18. Collapse Details

Mr Mike, great article. I never pegged you as an author either. So many multi-sylable words used effectively. Great choice of photo's!!

What a great weekend overall. NIOC did a great job of putting it all on, with probably the only real complaint of steaks not cooked enough.

Glad to be part of the Bad Influence and spreading the word.....

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    I didn`t know Mike was a Author !? Geez kid
    He did an outstanding job........

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    I have some other vides I didn`t post in the Chicago section:

Cafe Racer.. I think he thought I wanted to race when I blew my horn at the Cruiser now that I watch the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HHa6lKv7g

This is about mid way thru, I was just keeping a nice even pace at around not pushing anything too much.. it was fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abfZuYTUeVY
    Thanks, nice vids. I think you're right on the horn deal. He took off in a hurry then.......