Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Only problem here is I have no idea of the condition of the one engine that I have now. Those both seem like great deals but wouldn't an apache have a pair of motors not just one? What about the other 454? I didn't know apaches came small enough for one engine.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone will set me straight, but;

I believe Apache's were made all the way down to 19'. The 21' or 22' Scout (someone?) was a pretty popular boat that ran strong....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;566229]I will get in touch with a guy i know today. I think he has a 454/420 mercruiser all original, turn key with around 200-250 hours. I think it can be bought for around 2500-3k complete. Its a freshwater engine, never modified. Not sure if he still has it, but I think that could be a good option!

that would be the ticket
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    An option may be to run a compression check and leakdown test on the existing engine, then make a decision from that? 420's are extremely good engines if taken care of.

5. Collapse Details

Brian/Paul, the ad that I saw regarding the Apache motor. It looked like a twin engine installation and that one engine had sold already.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    An option may be to run a compression check and leakdown test on the existing engine, then make a decision from that? 420's are extremely good engines if taken care of.
    I agree.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I agree.
    alright sounds good. Get in touch with the guy and find out if he still has the engine if you can, that would be greatly appriciated. Ill find more out about the engine i have once i am able to get it out of the boat.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    Only problem here is I have no idea of the condition of the one engine that I have now. Those both seem like great deals but wouldn't an apache have a pair of motors not just one? What about the other 454? I didn't know apaches came small enough for one engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Brian/Paul, the ad that I saw regarding the Apache motor. It looked like a twin engine installation and that one engine had sold already.
    Stay away from that and most any craigs list Florida engines. This particular one could be a 330 or a 365 by the picture. Neither is a match to what you have. Nothing will match except maybe the flame arrestor and distributor.

It would NOT be worth the freight to you if it were free.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I will get in touch with a guy i know today. I think he has a 454/420 mercruiser all original, turn key with around 200-250 hours. I think it can be bought for around 2500-3k complete. Its a freshwater engine, never modified. Not sure if he still has it, but I think that could be a good option!
    That is worth looking in to.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim......

With the engine he currently has. Leakdown and compression? Or?

11. Collapse Details

First thing is to pull plugs check for rust. Spray oil in cylinders and see if it can be turned by hand.

You could prime the oil, crank it and pray it will be OK. All it needs is a pit mark or rust on any one of a number of critical surfaces and that part will fail in a few hours or less. It really needs to come apart and shown some love. Remember it sat for 15 years. The odds of it being fine are slim IMO.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.

12. Collapse Details

I agree with Jim. The engine that is in the boat, is probably useable, but only after a teardown and mild freshening. I wouldnt just attempt to fire it and run it. It shouldnt cost that much to open it up, inspect Everything, and go from there. I'd definitly wanna do valvesprings/seals before anything.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    ??????

A 420 Mercruiser, 454CuIn, engine.

With today's advancements in cam's (reasonably priced modification if you have to change springs anyway), porting knowledge of heads and intakes, (I believe they were 8.8 to 1 comp ratio). Are there any other cheap changes to improve the engine? And what would you expect the final horsepower to be, and at what RPM, when done?

I'm thinking instead of 420, you may be as high as 475 at 5400RPM with just those couple of small changes.

14. Collapse Details

It wasn't hard years ago to do some chamber work, shroud the block and change the cam to find over 500 horses.

Back on topic. The reason why you don't won't to run it after it sat so long is so that you save the good parts replace and/or address whats needed and end up with a good engine. Sure you can make it run the way it sits. It will probably run OK for a few minutes or until you put a load in it. Then when something goes wrong you damage it or destroy it. The end result is you spend more. Its kind of all or nothing to me. Nothing is sell it as is and all is like Mild Thunder states tear it down and give it a freshening .

Different projects would have different objectives:

Do a resto like Thumper and restore it to as it left the factory with the same parts.

Repower it with something new.

Hop up what is there.

Some would like to change it all.

Its the owners decision and Brian has a good idea as to what he wants to do.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'm just trying to stay in his $10,000 budget, different options.

R-Freshen-&R, Two #3's - $2000, $2500 with shipping?
    R-Freshen-&R, One existing 420 Mercruiser -
    Purchase 420 Mercruiser - $2500, $3000 with shipping?
    R-Freshen-&R, One purchased 420 Mercruiser -

16. Collapse Details

I know nobody wants to hear me , but a HP420..cam, intake and 1050 makes 508 HP !!!

17. Collapse Details

Hey guys, its been a tragic last few weeks on the board over here... I would just like to start off by saying my condolences go out to the family and friends of the loved and lost in the offshore world.

It has been a while since i've done anything with the boat or had any updates, it is coming down to the end of the school semester and I have been just swamped. I received a message about some engines, just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone that may know this gentleman and could give him a good reference.

I have a pair of fresh 420 Mercruiser engines from my Larry Smith Scarab project. These blocks are .030 over, I replaced the crankshafts with new GM forged, they are std/std. They look exactly like yours in the picture. One engine has dyno time and one is yet to be run. I also have Gil exhaust with risers that I would be willing to part out. I would accept your existing engine as partial trade, and provide any exhaust parts that you needed. I would be willing to provide accessories, wiring harness, and whatever parts you needed to make two complete engines ready to install. I have many years rigging experience and am willing to help you with your project. I have purchased two other engines for this project that are higher horsepower. Give me a list of what you think you need, and what you have now. I'll put together a package price that will get you two engines ready to install. I was asking $4,500 each for the engines but have not gotten any serious responses. Depending on the parts you need and what you have we should be able to make a deal that is very reasonable in cost.

Username: Boat1 first name I believe is Bruce.

Thanks guys, I understand what a lot of you are going through right now with the loss. I hope you are all doing well otherwise.

18. Collapse Details

Brian,
    Didn't you mention that you have his full name and/or the name of his business? This may help the gang to comment more accurately.
    Jeff

19. Collapse Details

Brian,
    If you search OSO you will find I have a negative history from years ago, and if you keep looking you will find I have done what I can to accept responsibilty and make right any bad dealings. I will gladly offer factual information privately that you can check out. I have no interest in defending myself openly on this or any other forum. The engines and parts I have offered are from a personal project and are as described. In light of the location diference I would suggest we use a third party escrow arrangement for funding, if we can agree on a final total price. My experience and capability have never been in question, my business practice and lack of paperwork documentation were a big mistake. I have learned a great deal from my past mistakes and am slowly trying to restore my reputation. I no longer conduct business in my personal name and utilize a limited liability corporation. I do not desire to do business with the general public as I have no employee's. I assist my existing customers/friends with their needs, and work on personal projects. My reputation is very important to me, I will openly discuss any questions pertaining to this specific deal on this forum. Any other discussion should be done privately. Bottom line is I have components that you need to complete your project because I am doing a similar project. I personally did all the engine work on the engines I am offering, and they were intended for my personal use. The starting point was original Mercruiser 420 engines that have been fully rebuilt. The exhaust is used Gill manifolds that are fresh water use to my knowledge and the tails are TRS stainless without the built in mufflers. All wiring harness and accessories are from 1989 TRS application, I offered to provide the starters, alternators, and water pumps in fresh rebuilt condition from an electrical rebuild shop, as I feel this is appropriate for his project. In addition I am willing to accept the old parts he has in trade for price reduction credit. I feel his engine should be inspected before it is run after sitting so long, specifically my concern is the flat tappet camshaft and the lack of lubrication to the lobe surfaces, even with priming the oil system they cannot be lubricated properly to eliminate dry start condition.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    If you are really interested Brian, we have members in that area who could go take a peek for you I believe.

Let us know....