Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Also, remember its 36 foot #3 heavy boat....with 500 HP u might see 50 MPH if that !

I would see if i can up the budget on the importent stuff...the things like cleaning the bildge and such are not importent enough ..i would say.

RELIABLE good running ..should be your main goal in a project like this and always the resale in mind !

But i know, i think different then most.. my priorities are way off the norm...FISRT THERE IS ME .. THEN THE BOAT !! after that wife and such needs to get in line !

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Scotty, we are doing our best to help someone who inherited a boat from his father which he has fond memories doing things on and with. It was not in his budget plan to have this handed to him out of the blue, but he is doing his absolute best to get it going per his fathers wishes. Something we will all HELP with, not box him into a corner where he becomes regretful.

If that means the boat ends up with a pair of 420hp 454's, exactly as it was when he and his father enjoyed their time together on it, that is a great thing.

Everything all of us can do to make his and his father's dream come true, is what we will do. If that means we help dig up every missing part to get two engines running, and call in every favor we have out there to assist with parts and knowledge, we will do it.

We will not talk him into something he cannot afford, or make it seem like there is something wrong with a boat that goes 50 or 55. (My guess is you are a little low there because 420's in the Scorpion went high 50's and that is 39'.) There is nothing wrong with that, my first boat was 10' and went about 20 on a good day......

You can help with your knowledge of where parts and pieces may be for a good price, or maybe free on some items he may be missing. Okay?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post

I am a 0 budget racer/boater..and so far it kinda works !

my priorities are way off the norm...FISRT THERE IS ME .. THEN THE BOAT !! after that wife and such needs to get in line !
    Yep , First class all the way.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    60MPH will get boring real fast.......
    Well, if 60 is boring, I'm surprised you didn't dose off in some of the races this year.......

Miami, This Year, Avg Speed -50.44

CLASS: MANUFACTURER PROD P4
    DIST: 27.0 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 TOTAL AVG

-P4-30 DARE DEVIL 28.8 53.3 52.7 50.7 51.0 ------------------------ 27.0 50.44

Michigan City, This Year, Avg Speed - 53.96

DIST: 45.9 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 LAP-10 TOTAL AVG

P4-30 DARE DEVIL
    44.7 45.7 49.0 52.7 60.0 ----------------------------- 25.5 53.96

New York, This Year, Avg Speed - 53.2

DIST: 50.1 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 LAP-10 TOTAL AVG

P4-30 DARE DEVIL
    60.6 32.4 65.5 66.0 64.3 ------------------------------ 21.9 53.20

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    RELIABLE good running ..should be your main goal in a project like this and always the resale in mind !
    This is what we are going to help him achieve.

6. Collapse Details

The plan is to get the boat going on reliable, affordable (to me, a college student supporting his own way through school while working) power in the memory of my dad and for the family to have a part of my dad to enjoy.

Those 650hps are dream engines for this boat maybe 10 years from now. I'd like to spend 10k and be in the water.

That being said, C35's engines he has are perfect for me. I've decided I want to have the drives done professionally and I Want to install the engines myself with the help from friends and you guys.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Piece of cake....

All we have to do is help get two #3's refurbed, buy two engines, find any missing parts and supply them, help get his old engine sold, and spend $10,000 or less.

I love schit like this.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Piece of cake....

All we have to do is help get two #3's refurbed, buy two engines, find any missing parts and supply them, help get his old engine sold, and spend $10,000 or less.

I love schit like this.
    sounds exactly what I need... then the rest of the installation is on me! of course with pictures for and

9. Collapse Details

Scotty, we are doing our best to help someone who inherited a boat from his father which he has fond memories doing things on and with. It was not in his budget plan to have this handed to him out of the blue, but he is doing his absolute best to get it going per his fathers wishes. Something we will all HELP with, not box him into a corner where he becomes regretful.

If that means the boat ends up with a pair of 420hp 454's, exactly as it was when he and his father enjoyed their time together on it, that is a great thing.

Everything all of us can do to make his and his father's dream come true, is what we will do. If that means we help dig up every missing part to get two engines running, and call in every favor we have out there to assist with parts and knowledge, we will do it.

We will not talk him into something he cannot afford, or make it seem like there is something wrong with a boat that goes 50 or 55. (My guess is you are a little low there because 420's in the Scorpion went high 50's and that is 39'.) There is nothing wrong with that, my first boat was 10' and went about 20 on a good day......

You can help with your knowledge of where parts and pieces may be for a good price, or maybe free on some items he may be missing. Okay?
    You nailed it on the head. The boat ran 65 wide open with those 420's and cruised nicely at 55-60. No one is making me do this, this is my decision to spend my money on something that means a whole lot to my family and me. You guys arent going to scare me away from doing this, and I wont ever regret it. The first day the boat was in front of the house a couple weeks ago it was a little rough emotionally, so I know this is important to me.

Any help on this project is icing on the cake, and I'm already overwhelmed with how you guys have accepted me into your family of boating.

10. Collapse Details

I would be willing to bet that resale is about the furthest thing from his mind.
    Maybe you missed the whole reason for this build...

Well, if 60 is boring, I'm surprised you didn't dose off in some of the races this year.......

Miami, This Year, Avg Speed -50.44

DIST: 27.0 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 TOTAL AVG

-P4-30 DARE DEVIL 28.8 53.3 52.7 50.7 51.0 ------------------------ 27.0 50.44

Michigan City, This Year, Avg Speed - 53.96

DIST: 45.9 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 LAP-10 TOTAL AVG

P4-30 DARE DEVIL
    44.7 45.7 49.0 52.7 60.0 ----------------------------- 25.5 53.96

New York, This Year, Avg Speed - 53.2

DIST: 50.1 LAP-1 LAP-2 LAP-3 LAP-4 LAP-5 LAP-6 LAP-7 LAP-8 LAP-9 LAP-10 TOTAL AVG

P4-30 DARE DEVIL
    60.6 32.4 65.5 66.0 64.3 ------------------------------ 21.9 53.20
    OUCH!!!!!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

11. Collapse Details

BDC, I've been lurking on this thread because these guys have a lot more knowledge than I can offer, but if'n I see someplace where my $.02 might be of assistance I'll chime in. I look forward to seeing your progress.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    BDC, I've been lurking on this thread because these guys have a lot more knowledge than I can offer, but if'n I see someplace where my $.02 might be of assistance I'll chime in. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Don't you remember we made a pact if one of us gets our boat going, the other has to as well. You better get going, I'm right on your tail.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    Don't you remember we made a pact if one of us gets our boat going, the other has to as well. You better get going, I'm right on your tail.
    Really!!!!!! Very Interesting.......

14. Collapse Details

What?? you mean you have the boat completely torn apart with no completion date in sight??

I suffered a little set back, so I'm guessing I'll be looking at a ride on your boat. I'll bring the beer.
    But, just like when I look at all the things I want to do here at the new house - I have the rest of my life, It's not going anywhere (the house or the boat), and neither am I!

15. Collapse Details

I got to thinking, this could also mean that you have also now taken a non-running boat and trailered it across the country nearly twice...
    Or maybe it means that I am the Shepard and you are the righteous man...
    But I'm trying to be the righteous man, and until then I'll walk the earth...

Sorry for the Hi-Jack It's just an un-curable trait that I have...

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I want in.

My boat runs but, our lake has dried up. No telling when I'll run her again. I am about to finish the cabin so I can take her engine compartment apart.

If either of you need my help in motivation before I disable her again you can come on over and I will put mine in the hole and shake the cobwebs out for ya.

Only prerequisite is that you enjoy Margaritas.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-21-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Its friday night. Duh.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Sorry for the Hi-Jack It's just an un-curable trait that I have...
    And he's getting to be very, very good at it......

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post

Only prerequisite is that you enjoy Margaritas.
    Any port in a storm!!

Thanks for the invite Jim, I just may take you up on that in a few months.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I know this is defferent than what we've been discussing, but a possibility maybe. Need some of the other guys to chime in. Issues are going to be probably salt water because of Florida and shipping. Other issues?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/2645531404.html

Marine Performance 454 80 hours since rebuild 2500$ with Exhuast - $2500 (Palm Beach)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2011-10-12, 8:45AM EDT
    Reply to: sale-pd5r4-2645531404@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a marine 454 came out of my Apache i am trying to get 2000$ for the long block and 2500$ with the exhaust manifolds and new intake with bronze bushings installed nothing is wrong with the engine i just upgraded to 502s and this is is coming out of the boat it runs like a champ!!!!

give me a call if intrested 561-568-8743 Isaac

20. Collapse Details

I will get in touch with a guy i know today. I think he has a 454/420 mercruiser all original, turn key with around 200-250 hours. I think it can be bought for around 2500-3k complete. Its a freshwater engine, never modified. Not sure if he still has it, but I think that could be a good option!