Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Lockheed who?.... Glad this is working out for you Brian. Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years to you and your family too. I used to build greenhouses so I'm inclined to price out the bows and hardware for the hoop unit and save some money.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

2. Collapse Details

was thinking of going this route; couldn't find a perfect 12x40 so Ill buy two of these and throw a tarp over the middle where I connect the two. Then get tarps for the sides and call it a day.

Outdoor Canopy 12x20 Heavy Duty

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Lockheed who?.... Glad this is working out for you Brian. Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years to you and your family too. I used to build greenhouses so I'm inclined to price out the bows and hardware for the hoop unit and save some money.
    Jeff, thanks for the holiday wishes... the same goes from me to your family. When are you coming out to the south bay area?

Let me know if you think it will cost less if I build it myself... with supplies from home depot?

4. Collapse Details

my son just came up from Milpitas for a week long Thanksgiving visit. The wife and I are no longer doing the gig that took us down to North Cal.....so trips will be few and far between. when I come down though I'll call. About the "carports" I doubt if you could save a lot of money DIY. All the best.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Go on ebay and do a search on portable carports. You can get the same size as those, except with sides, for about the same price as what you are looking at.

20'x10' Heavy Duty Portable Garage Carport Car Shelter Canopy White | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x10-Heavy-...item2a17095f31
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Nice hardware.. Cheers
    Brian drop Me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    took a day off to go visit my uncle, he took me to warehouse where they store "hay" for some special eye candy.

Teague 1100's in an MTI

New 1300's in the "special K" skater. The story is Mercury is the only way to get these installed, and the warranty is void if you change anything from the way mercury installed them. He had to change a fuel line... which voids the warranty.

7. Collapse Details

Wicked beautiful!!!!

8. Collapse Details

GENTS! how have you all been? it has been a while!

9. Collapse Details

Hey!!!
    Any updates?

10. Collapse Details

Doing great Brian. Any updates on the Mirage?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Hey!!!
    Any updates?
    Nope, I've just been storing the boat outside still at Lockheed. I went to go check on her this evening, still in good shape. I've been really busy finishing up school this semester at San Jose State. Graduation is May 25th. Once I'm able to land something nice for a new career you'll start to see some movement. I spend a lot of time thinking about it even if I never see the boat anymore. I sure do miss waking up and looking out the window at that beauty though.

Jeff, any luck on the transfer of the title on that car you called me about? How's the fam?

12. Collapse Details

Hey Brian,I was thinking of you yesterday as I was finishing up installing my Oildyne pumps in the 377. I'm coming down on about the 27th. BTW,my son investigated and just went ahead and paid the taxes on his new Subaru, I....on the other hand just got me a little Subaru wagon for road tripping that I paid next to nothing for.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You need to make sure you have a big picture of it on your wall for daily inspiration.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

Started the process yesterday getting the Bulldog 500's in the Ol' Mirage.

The 540's had a different bellhousing that came on the back of the engines. The starter is mounted on the engine by the rear main where I'm use to seeing a starter on a SBC/BBC in an automotive application. The 454's that use to be in boat had starters that were mounted on the bellhousing. After some measuring and playing with the two flexplates we came up with using the flexplate and starter setup that came on the 540's. Only issue with this was getting the spacing right for the bellhousing from the 454's to mate up. There's a mid-plate/spacer that goes between the belhousing and the engine. Here's some pictures of the Engines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60964267160__11FFCF55-B3B3-47B5-B637-65C603EAEEEE.JPG   60964263453__ADB639B2-44F7-49EA-894F-F73F9A098709.JPG  

15. Collapse Details

The drives on the boat are speedmaster 3's. The transmissions are velvet drive 1:1. I have a question. i was always told on boats with twin engines one spins the opposite direction of the other. So where does this happen? The engine, trans or drive?

Some more pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	88147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	88148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4686.jpg 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	88149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4688.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	88150

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Good to see you back.
    The rotation is the drive. All Mercruiser engines are left hand rotation. Fly wheel turns counter clockwise looking from the back facing forward. To determine which drive is which turn the input shaft same as left hand engine and note prop shaft rotation.

On the starter the top mount starter on bellhousing is a good set up . It will be a opposite rotation. Should still be available from Merc.

On the spacer question. Any top mount starter works. The question is whether or not you have a rear plate engine mount. Most or all # 3 packages use a plate rear mount. In that case the bellhousing gets a 1/4 inch machined off. The plate mount is the spacer between the entire bellhousing surface to engine. The top mount starter gets ring gear on rear of flywheel . Block mounted starter gets ring gear on front side of fly wheel.

17. Collapse Details

that spring in the pic attaches to rear of trannie. It is a guide to help the drives yoke shaft into hole when installing drive.

18. Collapse Details

Jim thank you, I'm very excited for this as I've literally had this project on hold nearly 10 years. It's finally time to bring my dad's boat back to life.

It seems as if this boat was put together or rigged rather poorly after looking closely at it over the last couple days. I've spent the last 7 years working with an auto racing team and have learned a lot about hack jobs, poor installation and craftsmanship. The more I look at every aspect of the rigging I want to redo or tidy it all up. That being said, its all so old it could use it anyways.

I have so many questions, also bare with me on this journey as my marine vocabulary is still in the works!

OK so the engine rotation is the same for both of them and the firing order is the same. I have the engine with the power steering pump going on the starboard side and the engine without the power steering pump on the port? Technically if i have not removed the drives they should be correct but i will double check. Also i read about props being spun inward vs outward. I've read that for docking purpose outward rotation is ideal as inward creates poor docking characteristics? I haven't taken anything apart yet as far as the drives or anything off the transom for that manner as I have no clue where to get gaskets and or anything about sealing the transom. My personal opinion is the drives (drives also need to be serviced/resealed and im missing 1 hydraulic ram) and the water pickups need to come off and be resealed. (I have photos)

Currently I have the original flexplate/flywheel (its thick like a flywheel but only does the work a flexplate does so not sure what it would be called here) mated to the engine. I have the old flexplate off the 454's that was mated to the velvet drive units in the old setup but i have read that the 454's and 540's may be balanced differently. (internal and external) I chose to use the flexplate that was on the new 540's as i believe the other flexplate would create a balance issue. Due to this decision I have to use the block mounted starters because the ring-gear on that flywheel will not work with the bell mounted starter. The only modification I had to make was to clearance the mid plate engine mount for the block mounted starter. Currently everything is bolted up, torqued and locktighted as I believe this is ready to go.

Funny thing about this setup is, the engines were mounted by a front mounting plate that go to the block engine mounts. The mid plate mounting plate is also there but it was never mated to the hull or mounted to anything. It just hangs off the engine and basically only functioned as that 1/4 spacer you mentioned above. Currently the engine will be supported by the front engine mounts and the ears on the back of the velvet drive that mount to the inner transom mount of the drive. Should i make some mounts and use the mid plate as a mounting location in addition to the front mounts and the rear or should i cut the rest of that mid mount off and shed some weight? I suppose I'll stop here before this gets any more confusing in one post.
    Last edited by BDC1013; 06-01-2020 at 04:21 AM.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    that spring in the pic attaches to rear of trannie. It is a guide to help the drives yoke shaft into hole when installing drive.
    Yep thank you I have it on both tailends of the transmissions now

20. Collapse Details

You are going to want to take drives off and send them to some competent dealer. They require special tools and not everybody can work on them. Even if you don't send them out you'll want to take them off to change fluid grease and inspect cross bearings. Plus it is very difficult to install engines with drives on.

Rear mount is nice to have but very difficult to fabricate mounts to stringers and align properly with assembled engines. That is typically done with a dummy block bolted to trannie assembly. For the sake of not overburdening yourself just leave it for now. You can always attend to it in the future.

Steering is typically on stb engine. The inside transom plate will dictate that.

Flywheels are not interchangeable. you must use flywheel that came with the engines. Ring gears can be moved in many cases. Flex plates are inter changeable. The bigger the springs the better. The 540 likely had a heavier duty flexplate. Hardin sells HD flex plates at a reasonable price.

Back to drives. I believe it is very important to know they are good. Few internal parts are available. Fewer used assemblies are available. If your drives are beyond repair it changes the entire job.
    Hopefully the fluid is clean and no moisture is present. They must hold lube. if the lube is creamy drain and refill and send out. Never drain lube and leave empty. ESPECIALLY is water is present.

Best of luck. I'll check in when I can.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 06-01-2020 at 12:03 PM.