Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member, Competitor Cookee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We had a fantastic weekend, lots of people got a ride in the boat and the party at the Island Street bar and Grill was also packed - apparently they broke the record for the number of covers in one night! Tim Tapping was on hand to record the event and a bloody good job he did too!

My favourite:

The stripes and the extension make the boat look even longer now!

2. Collapse Details

Excellente'
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

looking goood, although i was expecting a JAG & Rover since ur a britt...also ....on the boat the water pickups, are they that deep, ( hense drag ) ?

4. Collapse Details

Judging by the two guys on the aft deck in pic 2 post 21 I'd say that boat is a whole lot bigger than 34 feet.

5. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    that boat is beautiful ,,,i said i would never build another new race boat,,,but that boat makes you look twice , and rethink it ,,30' ?? good job cookee
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree, the boat is absolutely gorgeous......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    that boat is beautiful ,,,i said i would never build another new race boat,,,but that boat makes you look twice , and rethink it ,,30' ?? good job cookee
    i think the mold could be blocked off in the back for SVL single engine !???

and the cockpit fully closed with a lid ! stepes i think could saty right where they are since the stern would be lighter with single and shorter...?

WOULD BE NICE ..100%

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    i think the mold could be blocked off in the back for SVL single engine !???

and the cockpit fully closed with a lid ! stepes i think could saty right where they are since the stern would be lighter with single and shorter...?

WOULD BE NICE ..100%
    Full canopy would be no problem although I think the geometry would be screwed if you shortened it - where is the 30' measured from and to? The boat measures 33'10" from the bow to the bottom of the transom as it comes out of the mould.

The cars belong to our sponsors - I drive a VW Touareg V10 5 litre diesel to tow the race boat!

By the way the black triangles are the exhausts

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One of the SVL issues. Rules are not the same org to org.

SBI Rules
    6.3. BOAT SPECIFICATIONS:
    Super V Limited
    Hull Type: Monohull (Canopy Recommended)
    Length: 26’– 0” minimum to 32’-0” maximum
    Beam Maximum: 8’6”
    Number of Engines: One
    Weight Minimum: 4750 lbs.
    Engine Type: SBIP Super V Limited Specifications (See 6.8 Engine Specifications)

OPA Rules
    Weights and Dimensions:
    Hull type: Monohull
    Length minimum 26' 0"
    Length maximum – Bow to Transom – 30’ 0”
    Length maximum Overall: 32' 0"
    Beam minimum: 6’ 6”
    Beam maximum: 8' 6"
    Number of engines: 1
    Single Step Hulls Weight minimum, Bravo, Imco drive 4750 lbs
    Multi Step Hulls Weight Minimum, Bravo, Imco drive 5500 lbs at first race – adjusted for parity by OPA.

APBA Rules
    1. Hull Weights and Dimensions:
    Hull type: Monohull
    Length minimum 26' 0"
    Length maximum overall: 32' 0"
    Length maximum bow to transom 30’-0”
    Beam minimum: 6’-6”
    Beam maximum: 8' 6"
    Number of engines: 1
    Weight minimum, Single Step Hulls 4750 lbs
    Weight minimum, Multi Step Hulls 5000 lbs**
    ** - Multi Step Hulls minimum weight shall be 5000 lbs at the first APBA Offshore race and then may
    be adjusted for parity by APBA Offshore at future races.

My interpretations.
    I believe the current APBA rules are the rules followed by OSS and P1 SVS as the three of them are linked in events. But, there is a weight rule interpretation different for the P1 SVS based on horsepower.

Within the rules are other differences also. Mostly power, but some width I believe.

Here is the SBI measurement rule. I believe all orgs follow these measurement rules. The overall would include any bustle or platform extending past the maximum transom length as in the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBI SVL.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Paul they do not count the bussell in the length ,,it,s from the bow to the transom,,
    too many boats have dive / deck / bussells on the decks..

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Paul they do not count the bussell in the length ,,it,s from the bow to the transom,,
    too many boats have dive / deck / bussells on the decks..
    On the OPA new rules they have bow to transom and overall. I was thinking the overall included the bustle or other protusions like a swim platform.

12. Collapse Details

yes ,,but the delima is the hull has a 30' length limit,,overall is 32,,,no matter what, we still need a new 30' hull ,,

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    yes ,,but the delima is the hull has a 30' length limit,,overall is 32,,,no matter what, we still need a new 30' hull ,,
    We're on the same page there.

What race are you planning on running next?

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Two Yanmar By 260's = 520hp total, ZF boxes, Arneson 1721's over 3000kg without fuel, running over 70mph with some bigger pitch and diameter props.

YouTube video

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Looking really good. How much fuel on board for the test? And how much canyou hold total? I know it has to be more than the average Offshore boat here, you run longer legs on the races you're talking about than an entire weekend's racing here anymore.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
    I drive a VW Touareg V10 5 litre diesel to tow the race boat!

By the way the black triangles are the exhausts
    Great job on the boat, but that Touareg is badass!

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Great job on the boat, but that Touareg is badass!

The Touareg sports a 5.0-liter, 90-degree diesel V10 with an 18:1 compression ratio fed by twin turbochargers. The diesel-fed mega-mill is capable of an impressive-for-a-diesel 310 horsepower. Pfffft. The oil-burning Touareg stumps-up a mind-numbing 553 ft.-lbs. of torque at 2000 rpm.

In any gear, on any incline, on any surface capable of providing what's laughably called "traction," a gentle toe flick sends the Touareg TDI hurtling forward as if it's strapped to the back of a pulling NFL guard. The big VW may not be as quick as the (slightly) lighter Lotus Elise– the TDI Touareg hits 60 mph in 7.5 seconds– but the feeling is equally thrilling. Breaking Newtonian laws always is. And if you're interested, the SUV tops out at 144 mph.

I can read your mind: here we are again in Muscle Car Land. In other words, "stick a monster engine in a Sub-Zero and it'll go like Hell– and handle like a refrigerator." Before 2006– when VW redesigned their off-roader with some 2500 parts– you would have been right. When Farago drove the pre-'06 Touareg TDI, he called it The Mother of All Nose-Heavy Pigs.

I have no clue how the lesser new Touaregs handle, but the big diesel is shockingly competent. True, the steering, brakes, air suspension (and engine) are all over-boosted. There's an artificial numbness to the driving experience that's about as far away from "driver's car" as Lincoln Town Car. That said, I was bombing down curvy roads at 80 to 90 mph in absolute control. Roads that challenge my Subaru WRX at similar speeds.

Much of this surefootedness comes from the mammoth 275/45/R19 tires and the uber-trick AWD (now called 4XMotion) system. But the aforementioned air suspension also deserves maximum credit.

Switching between modes in a car with adjustable suspension is normally an unclothed emperor endeavor. When a professional driver screaming around a test track tells you there's a big difference, you tend to believe them. Not so with the Touareg. Twisting a knob gives you access to six levels of ride height as well as Sport, Auto and Comfort modes.

Select Sport mode and the Touareg hunkers down and amps-up the road feel (to the point where there is some). Comfort raises the car up a few inches. The ride quality goes from pavement-pounding to hydro-cushioned Citroen. Pushing the three-ton hulk over some of North Eastern Los Angeles's worst pavement was surreal. Short of a hovercraft, no vehicle should be that smooth on such crap.

Oh, I almost forgot. When it came time to craft the Touareg's interior, VW's accountants were bound, gagged and stuffed in a broom closet. It's fabulous. From the Porsche-quality leather and stitching to elegant dash materials to the stout switchgear, not a single corner had been cut. Even the glovebox is impressive. Not only is it spacious and air conditioned, but there's a separate compartment for the eight-pound owner's manual.

I can't overemphasize this SUV's all-encompassing solidity. The parking brake pedal sports a re-enforcing piston. Should the trailer hitch fail, I have no doubt the luggage tie downs could substitute.

In sum, the redone Touareg isn't much of a looker, sucks pricey diesel like poets chug wine and (our tester) retails for an astounding, irrecoverable $79,650.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Looking really good. How much fuel on board for the test? And how much canyou hold total? I know it has to be more than the average Offshore boat here, you run longer legs on the races you're talking about than an entire weekend's racing here anymore.
    Twin 180 litre tanks and we had at least 3/4 full tanks. The BY260's use so little fuel we don't need that much! We have the option of fitting extra tanks if we need them for longer races but we should be good for well over 200 miles with that much.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Did you look at how the hulls are measured in the pic above? Is that the way your hull measures 33'10"?

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
    Twin 180 litre tanks and we had at least 3/4 full tanks. The BY260's use so little fuel we don't need that much! We have the option of fitting extra tanks if we need them for longer races but we should be good for well over 200 miles with that much.
    So, forgive me, 95.1 gallons x 7.4 lbs per gallon x .75 full = 528 lbs of fuel on board during your test.