Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details
    lubrication vs heat, gears and speed
    This weekend while we were visiting Desert Storm, I had the opportunity to speak with John P owner of the Bravo Shop and, Greg(?)the owner of NEO synthetic oil.

The conversation centered around gear wear, caused by heat. What I guess I knew but didnt really realize is the heat by building up from the speed of the drive begins to wear the gears and will eventually self destruct. Also causing more drag on the drive when it is hot.

Which brought us to the new synthetic oils... They are designed to keep the gears cooler by using more lubrication between the gears due to it's viscosity. This technology is designed for gear boxes in racing cars including Formula One...

In other words, More lubrication, better wear, less heat and common sence tells me now less drag, which could lead (they do claim it) better speed. If this is the case, it would be the cheepest way to go faster in all of boating?

Personally I found the conversation interesting, It amazes me, just how such a simple thing could effect so many parts and costs (lowering costs of replacement of gears,drives etc) in the long run.
    Last edited by Bajaholic; 05-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.