Thread: POS Tire Dealer

1. Collapse Details
    POS Tire Dealer
    Charter Member
    It's been a while since I vented, so forgive me. Ian hit a pot hole and bent the wheel on my car so it has to be replaced (LOL that's not the rant). We bought the car used from a MI dealership & they got it from NY. Since the wheels were aftermarket Ian suggested I go to Belle Tire (local MI chain) On Friday the asst. mgr looks at the wheel very closely and says "that's a Pulse wheel but I don't think that style is still available". I ask how he could tell they are Pulse brand, he says Oh I can tell since that's our own brand, plus you can tell when you look at the sides. Then he goes to the computer and looks through wheel photos. He says I am out of luck since it not in the computer it has been discontinued. He says "I can get you something close but it will not be exact, but since it's discontinued there is nothing else I can do". He tells me he can order the one that is the closest from another store and I can come in today to take a look. He said he will order 4 in case I want a matching set and that if I buy all 4 he will give me discount, geeze what a nice guy. I leave thinking I could check a zillion hubcap places, but since it is the Belle brand it will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to find the exact used wheel especially since I don't even know the number or name of the style.

I kept wondering since Belle tire does not have any stores in NY how could their brand wind up on a car from there. I think maybe it was done at the MI dealership, however when I called they said the car came in with those wheels and if they had needed to be changed they would used the original wheel from GM. So now I get to thinking that even though Belle is a good size chain I doubt they are big enough to have a wheel company fabricate wheels just for them. So this morning I call some national tire brands, first I check Firestone, no wheels on their web site, so I look at Discount Tire and call their Waterford store. The guy says yes Pulse is a Belle only brand, I then ask what their store brand = to Pulse is and he tells me MB Wheel, I look at their site and see one that looks pretty close to my wheel. Now for the first time I put my reading glasses on and take a close look at my wheel and what do I see, smack in the center of the wheel a bigger that life frigging MB logo. I email a photo of my wheel to Discount Tire, low and behold it is their wheel, they have it in stock and at 5:00 they will put it on for me

The Belle Tire counter guy, who by the way gets commission flat out lied, "oh it's a Pulse wheel, oh you can tell by looking at the side, (yeah have me look on the side so I don't ask what the large MB in the center stands for). After looking a the enlarged photo (logo in center) you will see why I sort of feel foolish, but I never heard of MB before today, and when someone tells you what you have is their store brand you tend to believe them. I can understand the sales guy wanting to make a sale and not point me to a competitor, but he might have done it another way. He could have said something like I have no clue where the wheel came from, but I will try to get you a good match at a good price, or let me make a few calls to see if I can find one, then called Discount tire and try to get it wholesale from them. I have a hard time believing that he did not recogonize the MB logo. Well Ian's dually needs new tires soon and he most likely would have taken it to Belle, I told the General Manager just that when I called to tell him why we will be taking our business elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel.jpg  
    Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 03-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Dam potholes. I had a blow out on I-75 last week on the car and ended up replacing the rest on Saturday.

Good catch on the wheel.
    I stopped going to Belle Tire when they sold me raised white letter tires for my half ton truck and I picked it up and they were raised outlines. ("That's what we meant.")

I've had trouble finding people with a big enough lift for my dually. I know that mine is a smidge longer than Ian's, but the weight is the issue. Firestone near me can't lift mine.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht View Post
    It's been a while since I vented, so forgive me. Ian hit a pot hole and bent the wheel on my car so it has to be replaced (LOL that's not the rant). We bought the car used from a MI dealership & they got it from NY. Since the wheels were aftermarket Ian suggested I go to Belle Tire (local MI chain) On Friday the asst. mgr looks at the wheel very closely and says "that's a Pulse wheel but I don't think that style is still available". I ask how he could tell they are Pulse brand, he says Oh I can tell since that's our own brand, plus you can tell when you look at the sides. Then he goes to the computer and looks through wheel photos. He says I am out of luck since it not in the computer it has been discontinued. He says "I can get you something close but it will not be exact, but since it's discontinued there is nothing else I can do". He tells me he can order the one that is the closest from another store and I can come in today to take a look. He said he will order 4 in case I want a matching set and that if I buy all 4 he will give me discount, geeze what a nice guy. I leave thinking I could check a zillion hubcap places, but since it is the Belle brand it will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to find the exact used wheel especially since I don't even know the number or name of the style.

I kept wondering since Belle tire does not have any stores in NY how could their brand wind up on a car from there. I think maybe it was done at the MI dealership, however when I called they said the car came in with those wheels and if they had needed to be changed they would used the original wheel from GM. So now I get to thinking that even though Belle is a good size chain I doubt they are big enough to have a wheel company fabricate wheels just for them. So this morning I call some national tire brands, first I check Firestone, no wheels on their web site, so I look at Discount Tire and call their Waterford store. The guy says yes Pulse is a Belle only brand, I then ask what their store brand = to Pulse is and he tells me MB Wheel, I look at their site and see one that looks pretty close to my wheel. Now for the first time I put my reading glasses on and take a close look at my wheel and what do I see, smack in the center of the wheel a bigger that life frigging MB logo. I email a photo of my wheel to Discount Tire, low and behold it is their wheel, they have it in stock and at 5:00 they will put it on for me

The Belle Tire counter guy, who by the way gets commission flat out lied, "oh it's a Pulse wheel, oh you can tell by looking at the side, (yeah have me look on the side so I don't ask what the large MB in the center stands for). After looking a the enlarged photo (logo in center) you will see why I sort of feel foolish, but I never heard of MB before today, and when someone tells you what you have is their store brand you tend to believe them. I can understand the sales guy wanting to make a sale and not point me to a competitor, but he might have done it another way. He could have said something like I have no clue where the wheel came from, but I will try to get you a good match at a good price, or let me make a few calls to see if I can find one, then called Discount tire and try to get it wholesale from them. I have a hard time believing that he did not recogonize the MB logo. Well Ian's dually needs new tires soon and he most likely would have taken it to Belle, I told the General Manager just that when I called to tell him why we will be taking our business elsewhere.
    I did the same thing to a aluminum wheel on my Lincoln about a month ago! Took it to a tire shop and asked them if it could be fixed, they told me sure they could call the Wheel Doctor and they would come down and get it fix it and return it to them that evening he said it would run about 150.00.. I got home called the Wheel Doctor and he told me he would fix the wheel for 85 bucks and it actually looks better than new!!

So if you have a Wheel Doctor around you they can fix your wheel for you and may save you some money also..

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    the wheel is pretty nice and installed it's only $90.00 including tax. I believe Ian said it's aluminum and that you really can't bend that back into shape.

The pot holes are really bad and some of the worse ones are all around our neighborhood. Thankfully that's where he hit this one, I can't imagine what would have happened if he was on 75 on his way to Flint going 70. I don't like the tires on my Caddy they sure seem skittish in any type of snow or slush. Ian said he thinks because with Caddy's they want to give you a smooth quite ride, chit sometimes I feel like my tires are ice skating

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I've had trouble finding people with a big enough lift for my dually. I know that mine is a smidge longer than Ian's, but the weight is the issue. Firestone near me can't lift mine.
    Find a local commercial fleet service company.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht View Post
    the wheel is pretty nice and installed it's only $90.00 including tax. I believe Ian said it's aluminum and that you really can't bend that back into shape.

The pot holes are really bad and some of the worse ones are all around our neighborhood. Thankfully that's where he hit this one, I can't imagine what would have happened if he was on 75 on his way to Flint going 70. I don't like the tires on my Caddy they sure seem skittish in any type of snow or slush. Ian said he thinks because with Caddy's they want to give you a smooth quite ride, chit sometimes I feel like my tires are ice skating
    Actually aluminum can be repaired.. Mine was cast aluminum also..

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the long run!!

7. Collapse Details

As with everything Buyer Beware
    It is sad, but you have to do your homework on anything and everything
    You said the magic word...commission
    Good job on doing your research ! ! !

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    my new wheel was a perfect match, and I was in and out very quickly for $90.00 getting a brand new one for that price was worth it. I have to say I was pretty proud that I did not get scammed. I thought it would be like finding a needle in a haystack but
    luck seemed to be on my side.

9. Collapse Details

Congrats
    Maybe time for that LOTTO ticket while you are hot

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Congrats
    Maybe time for that LOTTO ticket while you are hot
    And grab one for me too while you're on a roll......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Find a local commercial fleet service company.
    I have all my tire work done at a local John Deere Implement. You can usually find the tires you want (tire rack, etc.) with free shipping. JD could care less if you bought the tires from them, or just want them to mount/ balance/ dispose of the old, etc.