1. Collapse Details
    K & N Filter Kits
    My company truck gets 10 MPG , It's a 1999 3500 dump truck, roughly 70,000 miles. I was looking on line at K & N Kits ( $307.00 for mine) would it pay for itself ?????

A buddy put on on his H3 and picked up an extra 3 MPG. I'd kill for 2 MPG more
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My company truck gets 10 MPG , It's a 1999 3500 dump truck, roughly 70,000 miles. I was looking on line at K & N Kits ( $307.00 for mine) would it pay for itself ?????

Never checked the mileage, I put mine on when the truck was only a few months old. It did seem a bit pepier when I put my foot into it. If you have only put 70,000 miles on it in 11 years, probably wont pay for itself, but then again, 70,000 miles is a lot of trips around a 4 mile island

3. Collapse Details

I have one on my 03 Silverado HD. Before the filtercharger I had 10.5mpg. After the filter charger, I had 10.5mpg. All it does is make more noise under the hood when you stand on the pedal. If you work in a severly dusty environment plan on cleaning and re spraying the filter at every oil change, and the cleaning kits arent cheap. What engine does your truck have?

4. Collapse Details

The 5.7 (350)
    Last edited by Bobcat; 03-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

The diesel guys on the dieselplace don't like them. I can't remember why. Maybe I'll get a chance to look.

(I know you are talking for a gas engine.)

6. Collapse Details

They are designed with airflow as the priority over filtration. Dirt particles cling to the oily coating as they pass through the filter rather than being trapped by a traditional filter paper. In a severely dusty environment (gravel pit) the filtration oil becomes so saturated with dust that it literally dries out and offers very little filtration. Which is why I had to clean and respray mine practically every oil change during the summer months.

7. Collapse Details

I would reccomend slicing off a tall cab shield to increase mpg, but I dont think its gonna catch that much wind spending most of the time driving under 45mph.

8. Collapse Details

I have had a few and never saw any increase in mileage.
    My neighbor swears he needs his and loves it and gained like 6-7 mpg on his diesel suburban...
    but this guys runs a hydrogen generator too..so I take his word for NOTHING
    I have read reviews of some "cold air kits" that reported decrease in mileage. Supposedly due to drawing more underhood HOT air in than the advertise cold air.
    I have not been impressed with my own.

9. Collapse Details

I'll pass then, maybe cut some air vents into the dump bed.
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Get a big tonneau cover maybe?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

Personally I wouldn't use a K&N on my kids powerwheels. If you can see through an air filter, its useless. They're great for racing purposes, for the guys that tear down and replace on a consistent basis. However, they don't stop the fine particles in the atmosphere. There is a reason that both Cummins and International will not warranty a turbo failure to someone who has used a K&N air filter/intake kit.

12. Collapse Details

I have an 03 Silverado SS 6.0 k&n in the stock box....the tube and whole shooting match are supposed to be even better, but I definitely picked up one mile per gallon with that filter over the paper element...just wash and oil every 5,000 and you should be good....

13. Collapse Details

Thanks everyone !
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

Am I the only one having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that someone is trusting Bobcat with a "Company Truck"?
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

15. Collapse Details

The bar is mighty low !!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

Yeah, Bob's competing with drag queens, fugitives, illegals, lesbians, and the occasional Canadian tourist.

(note: the canadian tourist was a guy who had three hours before he flew home but wasn't afraid of heights and figured there was plenty of time to make the paperwork and the training pay off. )
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

17. Collapse Details

in Bob's case the mile-age is related to the port-age of the pound-age of the case-age of the bever-age (s)
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson