1. Collapse Details
    My thoughts to Japan.
    Hat's off to Japan. I don't want to dwell on issues already in the media. However, In this crisis people in Japan are relatively calm no looting, no pushing/fighting for the last loaf of bread, no crime/jerks stealing TV's, no need for a National Guard type peace keeping. A major catastrophe there and people showing class and honor dealing with the situation (unlike many other places) All the best to them, and a speedy recovery. Wish I could help, but for now, I just express my sympathy and admiration.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Sadly they are getting a triple whammy. First the earthquake, then the tsunami and now two nuclear reactors may experience meltdown, unless then can pump in cooling water

And yes, given the circumstances, they are being civil and deserve all the help they they need.
    ________

3. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Compared to Louisiana and Hurricane Katrina, Japan has class while in crisis.
    ________

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Compared to Louisiana and Hurricane Katrina, Japan has class while in crisis.
    Never thought of it untill you brought it up . But your right . I rode down south more than a year after Katrina and was very surprised at Escalades with pimpin' wheels in the drive and a mess in the yard . Like the Homeowners were waiting for someone to come clean up the mess .

I have to give Japan credit .

5. Collapse Details

Well stated "Paradox"

6. Collapse Details

Thoughts & Prayers for them.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Hat's off to Japan. I don't want to dwell on issues already in the media. However, In this crisis people in Japan are relatively calm no looting, no pushing/fighting for the last loaf of bread, no crime/jerks stealing TV's, no need for a National Guard type peace keeping. A major catastrophe there and people showing class and honor dealing with the situation (unlike many other places) All the best to them, and a speedy recovery. Wish I could help, but for now, I just express my sympathy and admiration.

indeed, well said
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

8. Collapse Details

I saw a clip this morning of a news crew walking up on a group of Japanese people living outside, sitting in a circle, sharing whatever food and water that they had with each other (A few rice cakes, not much else) When the news crew walked up, the Japanese people immediately and graciously offered their food to these "guests."

9. Collapse Details

Keep in mind that places like New Orleans dont reflect all America, I went thru 3 hurricanes in Palm beach (2003-2006) and can tell you the people who lived in my area acted very much the same as what we have been seeing from Japan.
    As opposed to in Miami after Andrew when it was everyman for themselves.
    One of the many reasons I live rural and in Texas now.
    Notice you didnt see any riots when we had the hurricane hit Texas
    2 years ago even though many coastal areas were flattened.

10. Collapse Details

My thoughts and prayers to all the people also!

11. Collapse Details

Well said.
    I had the great pleasure of visiting Japan over a year ago. They truly are a cut above. I could go on and on about the great people, culture, etc. for pages. Can't wait to go back some day; but for now, my thoughts and prayers go out to them.

12. Collapse Details

Sympathies to all effected there.
    Not to discredit what was so well said in the OP either, and I do not expect that this is the case actually...
    but after seeing the footage of how incredible the devastation is,
    "Would anyone there be in a position to loot or go on a crime spree? Even if they wanted to, could they? Is there anything worth stealing left?"

Really do not want to sound like an Ahole, I think the OP's thought is fitting, but the disaster just appears MASSIVE!!