Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    Your 36' Mirage is a great boat, Over the last 20+ years I have had two 29' Mirages. The one I have now is a 1979 that still has its original interior & powertrain, and the hull is still rock solid.. Mirages were made 3 lenghts 29, 34, & 36. There is nothing like a classic offshore, you have to restore this one. I have never road in a 36' but the 34' ARMED & DANGEROUS we race against in C class rocked...
    cool boats! yes mine seems to be in good shape still, i did think of putting a rear deck similar to the one on your 29'

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post

BDC - If you're interested in hanging out with some other boaters that all have current resto projects, send me a pm, you can make the cruise out to the Zonah in two weeks. Guy's weekend at my new joint.
    i wont be able to do any traveling any time soon but thanks for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by 600sci View Post
    BDC1013, NEVER let your goal out of sight and you will be happy you did it.
    thanks.. i was able to speak with my uncle about it on sunday and he seemed very happy that i wanted to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Thanks so much for understanding. I was nervous to post because I didn't want you to think I was pooping on your dream. I didn't want to dampen the excitement, because with the loss... this is something to hang on to, with memories attached. You seem like a good guy. I am sure that you will have no lack of help from guys who have walked that path.

I'm sure that I will think of you on Sunday. Thanks for sharing the story.
    I've learned a lot off of forums so im glad i found this one, it was the first thing i thought to do when i knew the boat was now in my hands.

The memorial this weekend was very nice, about 200 people came and we got to hear all kinds of stories. My dad really touched a lot of people throughout his life.

3. Collapse Details

Update:

I know in earlier posts i said i could store the boat indoor for $80 mo. but that was with just looking at adds. Now that i've been calling around i get a lot of this "whoa thats a huge boat" and the prices usually start at a 20ft. base price and then some other amount per ft.

The place where the boat is currently being stored has worked with me through these tough times. They offered to store the boat indoor for $250 and outdoor for $150 a month. I also found a local resident that has some land that has offered to charge me $75 mo. Difference is security, dirt and dust, cost, and also I won't have to move it or put new tires on the trailer.

I hate to store it outside, but it's been stored outside for about 10 years and we were able to clean it up and get a new cover for it after that time so i figure we will be able to do it again. Also, i just plain cant afford indoor. I have a few days to make a decision.

What do you think?

Also if i move it you guys will get some new pictures haha.
    Last edited by BDC1013; 03-30-2011 at 09:23 PM.

4. Collapse Details

My boat has been outside for the past 3-4 years. But remember, I had just started working on it and wound up moving across the country.
    Finally now I've got my own place that I can actually fit the boat inside. Work on the boat will begin to progress once the dust settles on the move.
    I know you are determined to keep the boat, and under the circumstances I understand why.
    I say go ahead and store it outside with the knowledge that when you have the $$ to really get into it, it may be a little more work and $$ than what it currently would be.
    If you let it go, the odds of every seeing it again are slim...
    I know, if you happen to cross path's with a '69 Dodge Dart GT Convertible VIN LP27D9B174134 - let me know. I sold it 20yrs ago. (and yes, I do know that VIN code from memory).
    Good luck to you, and keep us posted.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

5. Collapse Details

Sorry for the loss of your dad.

I wish I still lived up in Valley Springs as I would have let you store it there.

I'm in So Cal now so too far from you.

I'd check on performanceboats.com and riverdvesplace.com.

They both have Northern CA sections and someone there might be able to help you out. There are some pretty active Delta guys on both sites.

I keep my boat outside next to my house on a concrete pad. It is fully fenced and pretty well protected. I have a full length boat cover and a PVC membrane cover over that (for the winter). The PVC is roofing membrane that my company sells and installs.

If you can find someone with outside cheap storage you can build a 2X4 frame and cover it with plastic pretty cheaply. Keep the water off but also keep the sun off it. The sun kills everything over time.

6. Collapse Details

Do what you have to do to keep the boat. You could buy some used tires from any tire shop to make the move very cheap. They have to pay to get rid of them and will often let you have them for the price of mounting.

Bottom line is if you can't afford the indoor, it has to go out. Buy a cheap poly tarp, used tires and get it out of there. Better than loosing the boat and you can keep searching for a cheaper place to store it.

We all do what we can with what we have to work with.

7. Collapse Details

I agree with all of the above posts. As you are in Milpitas, a tarp should be sufficient to keep the elements at bay. If security is a big concern, then remove any valuable components, possibly even the drives. Once you move it, visit it often. Keep a dedicated notebook of what you plan to do with it, what areas you need help with in the future and even notes about memories on the boat. One way of honoring your dad is to give your dream forward momentum. Call anytime. Jeff 503-975-0551
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fresh View Post
    Sorry for the loss of your dad.

I wish I still lived up in Valley Springs as I would have let you store it there.

I'm in So Cal now so too far from you.

I'd check on performanceboats.com and riverdvesplace.com.

They both have Northern CA sections and someone there might be able to help you out. There are some pretty active Delta guys on both sites.

I keep my boat outside next to my house on a concrete pad. It is fully fenced and pretty well protected. I have a full length boat cover and a PVC membrane cover over that (for the winter). The PVC is roofing membrane that my company sells and installs.

If you can find someone with outside cheap storage you can build a 2X4 frame and cover it with plastic pretty cheaply. Keep the water off but also keep the sun off it. The sun kills everything over time.
    I will check out those web sites to see if i can find someone more local to me that would have storage

So i went and check out this place 15 mins from where i live. Just a family that lives on a private road that has about 50 acres of land. The lady there is offering me $75 a month. It seems very secure since they live on the property. When i went there they have RV's and a few other small boats being stored. The only thing i didnt like about the place is the dirt where it would be parked, seems a little soft. I like the idea of building something over it and i might have to take that up with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog88 View Post
    Do what you have to do to keep the boat. You could buy some used tires from any tire shop to make the move very cheap. They have to pay to get rid of them and will often let you have them for the price of mounting.

Bottom line is if you can't afford the indoor, it has to go out. Buy a cheap poly tarp, used tires and get it out of there. Better than loosing the boat and you can keep searching for a cheaper place to store it.

We all do what we can with what we have to work with.
    I will definately buy a tarp to put over the cover. the cover is new and it was expensive. I'm going to take pictures of the boat when we get it out this weekend to share with you guys. I wont need to buy tires because the trip from milpitas to its new home is so short.

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    I agree with all of the above posts. As you are in Milpitas, a tarp should be sufficient to keep the elements at bay. If security is a big concern, then remove any valuable components, possibly even the drives. Once you move it, visit it often. Keep a dedicated notebook of what you plan to do with it, what areas you need help with in the future and even notes about memories on the boat. One way of honoring your dad is to give your dream forward momentum. Call anytime. Jeff 503-975-0551
    thanks Jeff, all great ideas. I know that sending these checks for the storage will keep my mind on it. They dont have a system to auto charge a credit card so ill have to send out a check every month.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another thing to do as soon as possible, get every possible picture copied your relatives have of your Dad with the boat, and make an album you keep up over the years.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Another thing to do as soon as possible, get every possible picture copied your relatives have of your Dad with the boat, and make an album you keep up over the years.

Great idea Paul.

11. Collapse Details

good news, I went to take the boat out of its current indoor storage and the owner was there. I told him that I would be taking the boat to an outdoor storage spot tomorrow and that they would be charging me $75 a month. He then offered to keep the boat inside for $100 a month until sept. He said that my dad was always very nice and they never had any problems over the last 3 years that the boat had been there. This, an offer I could not refuse, and an offer that is beyond any expectations. There is such thing as good people and good business.

http://www.storeinside.com/

12. Collapse Details

That's a beautiful thing, you've got lots of good thoughts being directed your way.

13. Collapse Details

Glad to hear it! That's great.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

14. Collapse Details

Glad to hear that !
    Parabellum FJ²B

15. Collapse Details

Whats up with the 36 Mirage?

16. Collapse Details

17. Collapse Details

Guess who’s back!?

Reading this thread from 2011 brought tears to my eyes. I finished school, started my own business and kept the boat all these years. I just purchased engines for it!

18. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13489568-B9D9-4662-8478-3780C0CEE25F.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	86997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13489568-B9D9-4662-8478-3780C0CEE25F.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	86997

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Sweet!!!! Nice to hear from you again.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And, the 500 Bulldog is one of Merc's all best ever engines!