Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I have a feeling I'm gonna have a few projects at the new house that are going to take precedence over the boat for a little while.
    But, at least now I will have a garage to keep it in with plenty of space to work on her...
    That's been the biggest problem since I moved out here two years ago.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Great storage underdog

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
    Great storage underdog
    not quite sure what you're referring to.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
    Great storage underdog
    It worked well last winter while I refurbed my cockpit and dash Easy to heat!

It's in a bigger building on the trailer this winter(all of it) while my motors, drives and a tore down Motor Home tranny are in the little shop. 22x24 but I can work in a T shirt when it's 20* outside and burn at most 5 gal of fuel oil in a 12-16hr day.

Ya do what ya got to w/what ya got to work with... just trying to encourage BDC

5. Collapse Details

i see, yeah that picture in the snow is interesting. I've been looking around the bay area for storage areas, If i had the land to build something and keep it there i would, I just dont have any room for it. I have a club meeting for the chevelle this weekend and I'm going to bring it up to those guys to see if anyone has some land or knows someone that could give me a deal. The best prices that i've found in the area just searching on the net are $89 a month indoor and $40 a month outdoor uncovered.

6. Collapse Details

89 a month for indoor is a great price for that large a boat. As nice a boat as that is, it would be worth every penny if you can swing it.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    The best prices that i've found in the area just searching on the net are $89 a month indoor and $40 a month outdoor uncovered.
    I'd pay 89 a month to store mine inside.

8. Collapse Details

yeah, the worst part right now is my school payments are killing me for the next couple of months. I am hoping to find somewhere before the end of this month because it has to come out of the place it is in. I need to order the tires as well so that when i take it out i can throw the tires on there. Terrible timing right when school payments are due. I wish it was summer.

9. Collapse Details

I've hesitated posting, because I didn't want to dampen your enthusiasm. First and foremost, I am sorry for the loss of your father. I have recently lost a parent.
    I have also recently undergone a massive restoration project, including power... and I am a parent. I think that I may have a unique perspective, and I hope that you can benefit from it.
    First, from the standpoint of losing a parent... I inhereted the house that my Mom loved... and I kept it. Did I need two houses? No. Could I afford two houses? Well... not wisely. But she loved it and it's a part of her and she is a part of it. There are memories attached. Now... add to that the love of offshore boats and I can totally understand why you would keep the boat.
    But here comes the inner parent who has spent three years restoring a classic offshore: There is a possiblity that your dad would want you to sell it and start your life in a better position financially and get through school without worrying about all the endless needs that will come along to properly house and feed a major offshore boat. I think that a parent's dreams for their children exceed past possessions and run much deeper to long term happiness.
    You are already getting concerned about storage and tires. I just fear that you won't be able to balance the priorities. I graduated a long time ago, had cash, a good job, and my project still rocked my finances for a couple of years. Even so... storage and tires were of little consequence. The honest truth is that it cost me thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars to get to the finish line. If I had been still in school, rather than established... it would have been a bad situation, and it would have gone bad fast.

Maybe it's a case in which you will do whatever you can to store it, and one day... when you are ten or twenty grand ahead... you can take on the repower. I respect that. Only you know what is best for you. I just wanted to raise the point, because my inner parent was screaming.
    Know that if you keep the boat and do a restore that I will help you in any way that I can. From vendors to tricks and tips... whatever you need.
    Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Best of luck to you no matter what you decide in the next few years. It is a very beautiful boat.

10. Collapse Details

BDC, Fund makes an interesting and valid point. Consider this some additional information to gain additional perspective. It sounds like you're young (26ish?) One way to look at this is that you can have it all DEPENDING on your expectations. Nowhere is it written that you must completely restore this boat AND do it on an accerelated time schedule. If all that you can reasonably do in the next year is make the trailer roadworthy and secure storage, you are very much ahead of schedule. There are legions of boatowners who have broken trailers and boats, no good place to work on them and significant debt attached thereto. Easy does it, it's an adventure. Perhaps make it a 5 year goal to just get functional (cheap) power installed and just replace/repair as necessary. You can save the total re-do when you're 50 and rich. If you take it easy and just hold onto this boat and you've done anything to increase it's value, you still have the option of selling it at that point. Feel free to PM me and my offer still stands to look it over with you. - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I've hesitated posting, because I didn't want to dampen your enthusiasm. First and foremost, I am sorry for the loss of your father. I have recently lost a parent.
    I have also recently undergone a massive restoration project, including power... and I am a parent. I think that I may have a unique perspective, and I hope that you can benefit from it.
    First, from the standpoint of losing a parent... I inhereted the house that my Mom loved... and I kept it. Did I need two houses? No. Could I afford two houses? Well... not wisely. But she loved it and it's a part of her and she is a part of it. There are memories attached. Now... add to that the love of offshore boats and I can totally understand why you would keep the boat.
    But here comes the inner parent who has spent three years restoring a classic offshore: There is a possiblity that your dad would want you to sell it and start your life in a better position financially and get through school without worrying about all the endless needs that will come along to properly house and feed a major offshore boat. I think that a parent's dreams for their children exceed past possessions and run much deeper to long term happiness.
    You are already getting concerned about storage and tires. I just fear that you won't be able to balance the priorities. I graduated a long time ago, had cash, a good job, and my project still rocked my finances for a couple of years. Even so... storage and tires were of little consequence. The honest truth is that it cost me thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars to get to the finish line. If I had been still in school, rather than established... it would have been a bad situation, and it would have gone bad fast.

Maybe it's a case in which you will do whatever you can to store it, and one day... when you are ten or twenty grand ahead... you can take on the repower. I respect that. Only you know what is best for you. I just wanted to raise the point, because my inner parent was screaming.
    Know that if you keep the boat and do a restore that I will help you in any way that I can. From vendors to tricks and tips... whatever you need.
    Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Best of luck to you no matter what you decide in the next few years. It is a very beautiful boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    BDC, Fund makes an interesting and valid point. Consider this some additional information to gain additional perspective. It sounds like you're young (26ish?) One way to look at this is that you can have it all DEPENDING on your expectations. Nowhere is it written that you must completely restore this boat AND do it on an accerelated time schedule. If all that you can reasonably do in the next year is make the trailer roadworthy and secure storage, you are very much ahead of schedule. There are legions of boatowners who have broken trailers and boats, no good place to work on them and significant debt attached thereto. Easy does it, it's an adventure. Perhaps make it a 5 year goal to just get functional (cheap) power installed and just replace/repair as necessary. You can save the total re-do when you're 50 and rich. If you take it easy and just hold onto this boat and you've done anything to increase it's value, you still have the option of selling it at that point. Feel free to PM me and my offer still stands to look it over with you. - Jeff
    I do understand where you guys are comming from. Almost everyone I speak with about it tells me to sell it as soon as I can. I thank you guys for understanding the sentimental value of this boat. Boats have been in my dad's entire life and now in my entire life. I am turning 24 this year in Oct. and my goal is to get it running, not do a complete restore of it. Actaully, the boat is in very good condition and it doesn't need a restore. I would really love to get this boat running within the next 5 years. Hopefully once I graduate college and get a steady job, getting this boat running wont be too much of a hardship.

To tell you the truth I have no idea what this boat is financially worth, but after talking with my dad while he was sick and enjoying boating stories, nothing could replace it. I told my dad that I would get it running again and he always gave me the nod of the head, so this is something that is very important to me.

I'd like to share a story that my uncle told me about my dad. This is from a letter that I will be reading at the services this sunday Feb. 13th

"When Mike turned eighteen, he moved out of our house. He had a job working for Woolworth’s 5 and 10. He was a stock boy in training in hopes of one day becoming a manager.

On my fifteenth birthday, my brother Mike said that he was going to buy me a boat. This was amazing to me as we had little money and boats were expensive. And, true to his words, he bought me this 15 foot, yellow jacket boat…..in the middle of a snow storm in January!! I will never forget that memory. Our whole family enjoyed that boat for a long time. It created many wonderful memories for our family."

Michael Creech May 10th 1937 - January 5th 2011

I don't know if my uncle knows I want to fix it, but I'm sure it would mean a lot to him as well.

Thank you all for the great advise, I'll be needing more over the years and im glad i have a boating community like this to guide me down the channel.

12. Collapse Details

very good points brought up by both Fund and OldGuy.
    As I stated earlier, my project was put on hold due to a move.
    I was literally 3/4 the way through a motor rebuild when the opportunity came up to move cross-country for my wifes promotion. We had to load a semi-completed motor back into my boat in mid February in Cincinnati - outside. It's awfully freaking cold there then.
    This move of course also affected my employment, so available funds for the boat project have been limited.
    Add on top of that, I'm currently doing outdoor storage (in my backyard - it's Arizona...) and I'm just leasing this place, so it's not like I can set up an entire outdoor shop - the HOA would have kittens.
    Just bought a house with essentially a four-car garage, moving in this weekend. Have a good friend (and former owner of my boat) planning on coming out from CA in two weeks to help me get the boat to the new place.
    In choosing a new home to buy, one of the big considerations and stipulations was that it had to have a indoor place for the boat, or have enough land and be at a price that we could build storage space immediately.
    The simple fact that the boat and all my tools will once again be sitting safely inside in a room under my kitchen, in an area that I can set up a work area will certainly speed my progression.
    One thing I would recommend, be very careful if you use credit to get any work done on the boat. In fact, I HIGHLY recommend that any work done on the boat is done CASH ONLY as you have it. Every dime I've spent on my boat has been MY dime, not the banks or the CC Co.
    It doesn't bother me that my boat isn't done yet, it'll get there.
    Alot to think about - you'll make the right decisions for your circumstances.
    Good Luck!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Have a good friend (and former owner of my boat) planning on coming out from CA in two weeks to help me get the boat to the new place.
    Post of the year!

It is about the boat.. All about the boat..I understand completely. I have had 7 boats in my life. All were different compromises needed at the time never knowing if I would ever have the boat I really wanted.. After my two kids have grown and became adults I was blessed with the purchase of a boat I refer to as Lucky. Tim I know the time will soon come when we spill a beer together... It is so funny cause we share much in common. My boat project has just now been put on hold. Amy and I should close on our new spread next month.. Our search was guided by just two things. Amy wanted a place on a hill and I needed { on many levels } a place that would provide the proper home for my boat..

We are all here because we love our boats..

BDC, sometimes our boats have to wait but, they are never far from our hearts.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 02-11-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    It is about the boat.. All about the boat..I understand completely. I have had 7 boats in my life. All were different compromises needed at the time never knowing if I would ever have the boat I really wanted.. After my two kids have grown and became adults I was blessed with the purchase of a boat I refer to as Lucky. Tim I know the time will soon come when we spill a beer together... It is so funny cause we share much in common. My boat project has just now been put on hold. Amy and I should close on our new spread next month.. Our search was guided by just two things. Amy wanted a place on a hill and I needed { on many levels } a place that would provide the proper home for my boat..

We are all hear because we love our boats..

BDC, sometimes our boats have to wait but, they are never far from our hearts.
    Jim, it's funny, but when I went out to CA to visit Dude!Sweet (former owner of my boat), his two young kids thought I was like a rockstar because I was now the owner of "Hot Stuff". Great guy and great family.
    I remember seeing when Sean first purchased the boat, and I fell in love with it. Then it changed hands again, and I wasn't in a position to purchase. When it came on the market again, I bought it sight-unseen.
    I know that I will have this boat until my final days, so I'll get it all back together when the time/money is right.
    I feel the same way about my new house. This one was just calling me. Most likely my final stop unless something drastic occurs.
    The first time I saw a pic of the boat - it had to be mine.
    The first time I walked up to my house - it had to be mine.
    Same thing with my dog - saw a pic of him on the internet at a shelter, and he had to be mine.
    I still remember the first time I saw my wife, and didn't actually meet her for another year...
    Hope everything goes smooth on the close on the new digs, and there aren't any negative surprises.
    If you are still contemplating taking a trip out here, we're having a meeting of the goofballs the weekend of the 19th while the wife is out-of-town to complete the move, and get the boat to the new place (tricky driveway, and I'd rather have some experienced boaters with me to guide it into the Castillo the first time).
    Come on out and help, we'll get a chance to spill more than one beer, and I'll make the run to TX to help you when you're ready to move the barn.

BDC - If you're interested in hanging out with some other boaters that all have current resto projects, send me a pm, you can make the cruise out to the Zonah in two weeks. Guy's weekend at my new joint.

15. Collapse Details

Your 36' Mirage is a great boat, Over the last 20+ years I have had two 29' Mirages. The one I have now is a 1979 that still has its original interior & powertrain, and the hull is still rock solid.. Mirages were made 3 lenghts 29, 34, & 36. There is nothing like a classic offshore, you have to restore this one. I have never road in a 36' but the 34' ARMED & DANGEROUS we race against in C class rocked...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mirage & PBR h2o.jpg   Mirage Armed and Dangerous.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

I wish Tim. Too much going on for me to leave now. It is tempting though Thanks

17. Collapse Details

BDC1013, NEVER let your goal out of sight and you will be happy you did it.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post
    I do understand where you guys are comming from. Almost everyone I speak with about it tells me to sell it as soon as I can. I thank you guys for understanding the sentimental value of this boat. Boats have been in my dad's entire life and now in my entire life. I am turning 24 this year in Oct. and my goal is to get it running, not do a complete restore of it. Actaully, the boat is in very good condition and it doesn't need a restore. I would really love to get this boat running within the next 5 years. Hopefully once I graduate college and get a steady job, getting this boat running wont be too much of a hardship.

To tell you the truth I have no idea what this boat is financially worth, but after talking with my dad while he was sick and enjoying boating stories, nothing could replace it. I told my dad that I would get it running again and he always gave me the nod of the head, so this is something that is very important to me.

I'd like to share a story that my uncle told me about my dad. This is from a letter that I will be reading at the services this sunday Feb. 13th

"When Mike turned eighteen, he moved out of our house. He had a job working for Woolworth’s 5 and 10. He was a stock boy in training in hopes of one day becoming a manager.

On my fifteenth birthday, my brother Mike said that he was going to buy me a boat. This was amazing to me as we had little money and boats were expensive. And, true to his words, he bought me this 15 foot, yellow jacket boat…..in the middle of a snow storm in January!! I will never forget that memory. Our whole family enjoyed that boat for a long time. It created many wonderful memories for our family."

Michael Creech May 10th 1937 - January 5th 2011

I don't know if my uncle knows I want to fix it, but I'm sure it would mean a lot to him as well.

Thank you all for the great advise, I'll be needing more over the years and im glad i have a boating community like this to guide me down the channel.
    Thanks so much for understanding. I was nervous to post because I didn't want you to think I was pooping on your dream. I didn't want to dampen the excitement, because with the loss... this is something to hang on to, with memories attached. You seem like a good guy. I am sure that you will have no lack of help from guys who have walked that path.

I'm sure that I will think of you on Sunday. Thanks for sharing the story.

19. Collapse Details

All good points. Do what you can, when you can w/out stressing yourself. You'll make yer Dad proud. You'll get lots of help here.
    Mark

20. Collapse Details

Sorry for your loss.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.