Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BDC1013 View Post

I will take some closer pictures of the trans. and drives so you guys might be able to tell me what i really have.
    I can tell by the inner plates on the transom it is #3. At the time that was a significant upgrade. The valve covers and exhaust look like 420' or 425's. If you can find 500 on any of the covers or bow tie blocks they could be 500 bulldogs.. That would be a home run. I am excited for you. Sorry about the circumstance.

Make sure you keep it covered and dry..

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Good Luck with it.
    You will get alot of great advice and help here.
    Sorry for the loss of your Dad, make him proud!
    That is a nice looking rig.
    It will be a good time for you guys when back on the water
    Agreed

3. Collapse Details

I once traded some work for a 24' Performer, a guy had sitting in his yard for over 10 years,I fixed it up without checking out the fuel tank. Gas left in a alluminum tank over the years will eat that tank right up. I filled the tank not knowing that, an ran it loosing lots of gas in the bilge. Not a good thing. Check it out before you go to far. Nice looking boat, good Luck.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Your Dad had very good taste thats a beauty from my neck of the woods built in Miami by estanislao cortes,heavy boat but will go thru anything.The old builders sons screen name is pops57 they built a very nice boat.The project will be extra special to you remember patience is needed when dealing with this! Good Luck keep us updated.
    That is where he picked up this boat, in Miami. That is so cool that the builders son is on here... I'd love to learn more about it.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I can tell by the inner plates on the transom it is #3. At the time that was a significant upgrade. The valve covers and exhaust look like 420' or 425's. If you can find 500 on any of the covers or bow tie blocks they could be 500 bulldogs.. That would be a home run. I am excited for you. Sorry about the circumstance.

Make sure you keep it covered and dry..
    ill have to take a look at that, thanks for the info

6. Collapse Details

I just took a look to see what years the 500 bulldogs were in production and found they were available from 90-96. 425's started in 90 as well.

7. Collapse Details

here ya go

its got a 383 with a tko600 5 speed

my dad and i worked on this car together while i was in high school. It's pretty much set and i drive it all the time. It may become my daily driver, insurance on two cars might be impossible with school payments.

main goal right now is to keep going to school while working and to find a place to store the boat CHEAP, or free haha

I will take some closer pictures of the trans. and drives so you guys might be able to tell me what i really have.

Very Nice, Mine had a 383 also, but with a worked TH350, and 12 bolt 410 posi. I never did finish the bodywork, and sold it unfinished when I moved South, regretting selling it now

8. Collapse Details

You might have to sell that F-14 to make this work
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    You might have to sell that F-14 to make this work
    i was thinking of incorporating the cockpit of the F-14 into the boat, then maybe i'll sell it.

10. Collapse Details

i was thinking of incorporating the cockpit of the F-14 into the boat, then maybe i'll sell it.
    Naw, keep focused on the boat and keep her just the way she is, but running!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Naw, keep focused on the boat and keep her just the way she is, but running!
    agreed

here's the tires i found for the trailer... seems like a good price, shipping would be like $120 though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-14-...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by BDC1013; 02-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.

12. Collapse Details

agreed

here's the tires i found for the trailer... seems like a good price, shipping would be like $120 though.

Probably be fine if you're just looking for yard tires/around town.
    Not sure if I'd want to haul to Key West.

But hey, I've been on this board from the day it opened, and I still have a non-running boat. So, I regret if you take any advice from me...

13. Collapse Details

Probably be fine if you're just looking for yard tires/around town.
    Not sure if I'd want to haul to Key West.

But hey, I've been on this board from the day it opened, and I still have a non-running boat. So, I regret if you take any advice from me...
    4311 posts later

14. Collapse Details

>>>>I have the tools to fix the thing but i know getting the engines put in would be the problem as i would need a very large cherry picker haha.

Here's what I do. I use a wrecker/tow truck. Get everything unbolted/disconected ahead of time and hook your chain/lifting plate up. Use your friends truck and tow it to the towing company and have them lift the motor, back up and set it in the truck. 2 cement blocks and two small 2x4 blocks under the motor mounts is just the right height for it to sit level with a scrap of plywood under the pan/bell housing. Takes the tow truck 5 minutes and they don't have to drive anywhere(read cheap) My guy does it for a 12 pack Just preset a day/time that's good for them. Same goes for reinstalling only will cost you a 24 pack cuz you'll have 2!

>>>> I dont have anywhere to work on it either, thats another problem.

Buy a 40 dollar engine stand and rent a small storage unit for 25/50 dollars a month if you can't find a friend who'll let you put the motors in their garage. You can rent the cherry picker cheap if you can't borrow one to get in and out of the truck. I've stripped em down to the short block in the bed of the truck, attached the head of the engine stand, slid it out on the tailgate and found 3 friends to help lift it out and onto the stand.

>>> I was thinking of storing it outdoors and building some kind of tent over it.

That's what I'd do if I had no/low budget. You don't even get snow there do you? Sure indoor is better but we do what we can w/what we have to work with. You can buy those cheap blue tarps in 24'x40' online for next to nothing. Good for a year or two.

You can do it man!!! Make yer Pop proud of ya... Nice car too
    Last edited by Underdog88; 02-03-2011 at 07:05 AM.

15. Collapse Details

agreed

Nice Boat, but do not buy tires on e-bay! I had very bad luck and most of them are over the shelf live rating, new yes but outdated! Good luck.

16. Collapse Details

Discount tire Company has always pulled through for me.

17. Collapse Details

4311 posts later
    Well yeah, there's that...
    But there was also a cross country move, and a couple job changes.
    Lots of contributing factors

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog88 View Post
    >>>>I have the tools to fix the thing but i know getting the engines put in would be the problem as i would need a very large cherry picker haha.

Here's what I do. I use a wrecker/tow truck. Get everything unbolted/disconected ahead of time and hook your chain/lifting plate up. Use your friends truck and tow it to the towing company and have them lift the motor, back up and set it in the truck. 2 cement blocks and two small 2x4 blocks under the motor mounts is just the right height for it to sit level with a scrap of plywood under the pan/bell housing. Takes the tow truck 5 minutes and they don't have to drive anywhere(read cheap) My guy does it for a 12 pack Just preset a day/time that's good for them. Same goes for reinstalling only will cost you a 24 pack cuz you'll have 2!

Thats a good idea for getting the engines in and out... now to just find a pair of engines

I wonder what to do with that complete 454 in there? I want to take it out and see if i can drain it and soak the internals with marvel mystery oil, put some new plugs and oil in it and see if it'll run.

>>>> I dont have anywhere to work on it either, thats another problem.

Buy a 40 dollar engine stand and rent a small storage unit for 25/50 dollars a month if you can't find a friend who'll let you put the motors in their garage. You can rent the cherry picker cheap if you can't borrow one to get in and out of the truck. I've stripped em down to the short block in the bed of the truck, attached the head of the engine stand, slid it out on the tailgate and found 3 friends to help lift it out and onto the stand.

>>> I was thinking of storing it outdoors and building some kind of tent over it.

That's what I'd do if I had no/low budget. You don't even get snow there do you? Sure indoor is better but we do what we can w/what we have to work with. You can buy those cheap blue tarps in 24'x40' online for next to nothing. Good for a year or two.

You can do it man!!! Make yer Pop proud of ya... Nice car too
    Thats a good idea for getting the engines in and out... now to just find a pair of engines

I wont be doing the building of the engine myself, the wrenching i've done is just basically intake manifolds and accessories on engines, i've never actaully built my own engine. I've pulled and placed mnay engines and transmissions on cars so that part shouldnt be a problem.

I wonder what to do with that complete 454 in there? I want to take it out and see if i can drain it and soak the internals with marvel mystery oil, put some new plugs and oil in it and see if it'll run.

I am thinking if i store it outside, using a tarp would be cheaper than using the brand new cover that is on it. I'd like to save the cover for when its running and i'm able to store it in the water on a hoist. Afterall i found the reciept for that cover and it was like 3gs

19. Collapse Details

Well yeah, there's that...
    But there was also a cross country move, and a couple job changes.
    Lots of contributing factors
    well you and i should make a deal on getting our boats running

20. Collapse Details

I'll second that.