Thread: lower unit vise

1. Collapse Details
    lower unit vise
    does anyone have a link to wear i can purchase a lower unit vise to mount on work bench or have a plan to build one i have lost my notes for finding these and outboard bench engine stands thanks for your time

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar

3. Collapse Details

ask and ye shall recieve, thanks!!!!!! exactly what i was looking for

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Kerr's are the one to get. Do not get any of the vises the hold from the cavation plate from the sides( squeeze type) You want the cavation plate held like Kerrs 400 series. Just oredered another 400TR2 last week think it was $225 should have this week they were closed week between Xmas new years and were out of stock. They will make them this week and ship..

5. Collapse Details

yep those are the same vices we had at school but couldnt remember the name for anything allthough i have seen some home built versions that did work awsome though i only had 1 problem with the kerr vise and when trying to free a stuck carrier nut 1 of the fins on the cavatation plate snapped off ( lucky it was my lower ) and was trying to save a lower that someone let freeze with a little weld but after that it got scrapped any way by the time i got it apart it had cracked from the nose cone to the carrier just glad the gears in it looked brand new worth the 25 bucks i paid for it

6. Collapse Details

I have broken a couple of 400 vises. Far as carrier nuts go soak it wack it with a chasel and if it doesn't come loose easy stop !!! Drill three holes knock the drill section out, then turn it out. Cheaper and easyer to replace carrier nut. If you mount vise to work bench try an put on top of a leg so when your beating the s--- out of the drive you get a solid hit and no bounce. Don't forget to bolt work bench to wall so when you have a 6ft pipe on the end of your breaker bar the hole bench doesn't doesn't tip over on top of you.

7. Collapse Details

soaked it heated it and whacked it nose was cracked allready and very little pressure took the whole case ended up still haveing to drill and chisel it out oh well lessons learned lucky it was a lower for a 90 merc and another guy i know had one that fit and he needed a couple of favors so it wasnt a big loss

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by txriverrat2001 View Post
    I had one of these and gave it away. lower unit would pop out of vise when lossing and tighting carrier nuts. Even tryed straping lowers into vise wjth ratchet straps with no luck

10. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Clustergear View Post
    Don't forget to bolt work bench to wall so when you have a 6ft pipe on the end of your breaker bar the hole bench doesn't doesn't tip over on top of you.
    ________