1. Collapse Details
    controlling home lighting via Cell phone???
    Anybody have this type of setup? Or any connections or tips in setting it up?

As seen in my other thread, I'm working on buying a place out in the middle-of-nowhere in the desert. I was out in that area last night, and with no moon out it gets DARK.
    The house is wired with twin floodlights-spots on every corner of the house that have regular wall switches inside (not sure if one central switch for all corners, or multiple switches).
    I would like to be able to turn these on via cell phone (I have an iphone, wife just has a standard ATT work cell).
    The house it at the end of a dirt road, and there are no street lights within 5-10 miles, so when I say it's DARK out there at night, I mean it's "you can't even see your feet" DARK. So I want to be able to light up the yard before I even get home.
    Do you guys have any suggestions or experiences?

With it being that dark out though, I have to admit looking to the sky is impressive!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Thats an easy one Tim. Go to Smarthome.com.
    ________

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I kind of figured you may be the "Go To" guy on this one.
    What do you recommend as a starter package that I would be able to add features to later. I'm assuming a larger controller unit that is expandable, with the minimal accessories to do what I need initially.
    I want to start out by being able to control probably 5-7 wall switched (non-dimmable) lights. Maybe eventually thermostat, but not much else.
    I'm not really a tech/gadget kind of guy, but I'm looking at this as more of a safety lighting thing for when the wife gets home, or for either of us to even find the driveway (there is sort of a cliff right there, and we both have large vehicles), and to keep the coyotes and Javalinas away.
    Any sort of package that will do this without nickle/dime-ing me for an additional this or that?
    A Starter kit that is expandable?
    Oh, and I HATE monthly subscription fees if it's that kind of service. I want to just buy it, own it, use it. If I need to incorporate it into my computer, that's fine, as long as connections are covered through my regular I-net connection. I have a wireless router/network that I should be able to hook into for a communication path.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    x2

5. Collapse Details

If I remember correctly... you need one product to act as the switch (Insteon products) and one product to act as the phone controller. (Like the sensaphone) BUT... if you choose the PC based system rather than the sensaphone option, you can access it via web from a PDA.

6. Collapse Details

We're still hard wiring 99% of the switches on projects right now. But I see more and more lighting control panels and the use of smart circuit breakers (built in switch) on commercial projects. Energy management will be a big thing in a few years.
    ________

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    What do you recommend as a starter package that I would be able to add features to later.
    All I did was Google "control lights from iPhone" and smarthome.com was near the top of the list I really can't recommend anything for you since I've haven't work with this type of equipment yet. Maybe email smarthome with your goals and see what they recommend.
    ________

8. Collapse Details

http://www.smarthome.com/2499B1C/Sma...ter-Kit/p.aspx
    this seems to be pretty close to what you are looking for. From the sound of it, it seems rather easy to hook up as well. I would love one of these for my cottage so we could turn the heat and lights on before we even get there.

9. Collapse Details

That one that Josh found is pretty sweet if you have an I-pod. The specs make it look like you can do 15 "rooms" and 240 "scenes."

The I-pod would emulate the display.

10. Collapse Details

I see they use Lutron products. Good stuff.
    ________

11. Collapse Details

Yeah. I was doing a TON of lutron stuff back in the mid-late 90s when Lutron started getting tricky. The Lutron dimmers were so quiet that I could use them in recording enviroments.

12. Collapse Details

It seems controlling from the iphone will be a pretty easy set-up, but, the wife just has a regular cell.
    AND, I don't want the system to fall apart if I lose my phone, or change to a different phone in the future - so I'm kind of thinking of those things as well.
    I've been working 12 hr days, so haven't had any time to really research - that's why I ask you guys these questions, hehe, I'll let you do the research for me..

13. Collapse Details

We do smart homes every week and interface lights like you detail above.
    We use control4 products. Very easy to use, affordable and can expand the system to be as elaborate (or simple) as you want. Full cell phone control as well as iPad control and more.
    BillR

14. Collapse Details

It seems controlling from the iphone will be a pretty easy set-up, but, the wife just has a regular cell.
    AND, I don't want the system to fall apart if I lose my phone, or change to a different phone in the future - so I'm kind of thinking of those things as well.
    I've been working 12 hr days, so haven't had any time to really research - that's why I ask you guys these questions, hehe, I'll let you do the research for me..
    I got Britt an I Pod touch for Christmas. It was 200 bucks. I want one now.

You can use it to monitor security cameras too. By hooking into your router, you'd have a real time view of any cameras that are connected to an addressable DVR/switcher device. Just throwing that in the mix.

15. Collapse Details

I don't think it has to be an iPhone. Any smart phone with web access will work.
    ________

16. Collapse Details

Control 4 which is a US brand does a home automation system which incorporates the iPhone as a controlling means.