Thread: 2011 Duramax

1. Collapse Details
    2011 Duramax
    I am looking at buying a 2011 Duramax. Anyone have many miles on one, yet? How do you like it? How often do you need to add urea and where do you get it?

2. Collapse Details

I have a ford and got urea at the dealer found out later NAPA had it. The Fords are suppose to last 7500 miles and a warning light comes on at 800 to go. I towed hard with it the first 3000 miles and the light came on already, so now I keep a spare gallon with me.
    Run until it sounds expensive

3. Collapse Details

Got it home on New Year's Eve day. Love it!

4. Collapse Details

So far they are doing good in the field. The urea tank holds 5.3 gal, and should take you pretty close to 5K miles, but it will depend on how you drive it. The availability of urea is getting better all the time, but dealers, truck stops, and more and more parts stores have it every day.

David
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
    Got it home on New Year's Eve day. Love it!

Good looking truck.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

6. Collapse Details

yes I agree. you will love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    Good looking truck.

7. Collapse Details

Curious. Did you test drive Dodge and Ford? I know ford, my inlaws love them for some reason, don't think I would ever buy one. Dodge is out of the question. Just interested in your opinions and why you went with the Durmax.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
    I am looking at buying a 2011 Duramax. Anyone have many miles on one, yet? How do you like it? How often do you need to add urea and where do you get it?

8. Collapse Details

I never considered the Ford because of all the engine problems. They claim this new generation has everything fixed, but I didn't want to be the guinea pig. I wanted a proven package. I didn't drive the Dodge, but strongly considered it. It was cheaper to get into. However, the resale value doesn't seem to hold up as well as Chevy. Also, my last truck was a Suburban 2500 that I owned for almost 9 years that never had a single mechanical issue.

9. Collapse Details

what milage are the new diesels getting?

10. Collapse Details

They have the Urea at Advance Auto for 8 bucks a gallon. Just bought my 1st Ford Ever and got about 10k on it. Still miss my GM but my 2007 was in the shop more than the road.
    Good luck with the new one.

11. Collapse Details

E Dock
    I bought a Denali 3500 about 3 mo. ago and love it. I am getting 15-16 empty and about 8.5 pulling a 40ft. Gooseneck toyhauler. My 08' F450 got about 4.5-5 pulling the same rig. I never even know the rig is back there. I also drive pretty fast, 80+ with the toyhauler, so I am sure it would get better if I slowed down.
    My urea light came on at about 6000mi, showing 600miles left. This was just I was leaving town on a trip, I ended up running out of urea pretty close to when it said I would. Speed limited to 55mph, but not limited on power for pulling or acceleration. Bought a 2.5 gallon box of urea at O'reily's for $13 and all was good.
    Great truck so far.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    what milage are the new diesels getting?
    GM claims a range of 680 miles on a 36 gallon tank for 18.8 MPG.

13. Collapse Details

I own auto transport trucks and they deliver new units to both ford and dodge stores. I personally never liked the dodge because the inside was always like a rental car, never enough bling compared to a chevy or ford. But I liked the cummins engine. This last year we have been moving the new dodge trucks and besides being very heavy, the insides are finally up to par with the chevy and ford, Before you discount the new dodge, go take a test ride with one with the upscale interior and I think you will be pretty surprised and to the new look. I am not putting down the chevy or ford which I personaly like both. I am just saying that Dodge has finally brought their truck up to a level playing field and with its driveline its hard to beat

14. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    WHAT IS THE UREA FOR,,AND WHAT YEAR TRUCKS,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

15. Collapse Details

I believe all 2011 and up diesels will have DEF(urea) injection. Correct me if I'm wrong. I pulled this summary from a diesel site...

Injection of DEF to reduce NOx is a proven technology that's been used throughout the automotive industry. Unlike other solutions used to control NOx, the DEF system allows the diesel engine to run at its optimum range in terms of fuel mixture. Some systems require the engine to run richer – which can be harmful to diesel engines – in order to control the NOx.

Step One: Cleaning and Heating – The first step in cleaning the diesel exhaust occurs when the exhaust stream enters the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). The role of the DOC is twofold. First, it converts and oxidizes hydrocarbons into water and carbon dioxide. This conversion happens at about 250 degrees Celsius.

Second, the DOC is used to provide and promote heat, using specific engine management strategies, into the exhaust system. Through appropriate thermal management, this heat increases the conversion efficiency of the downstream subsystem(s) in reducing emissions.

Step Two: Knocking Out the NOx – The next step in the process is what's known as Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR). In this process, the NOx in the exhaust stream is converted into water and inert nitrogen, which is present in the atmosphere and harmless. Before the exhaust gas enters the SCR chamber, it is dosed with DEF, an aqueous solution that is approximately 67.5 percent water and 32.5 percent pure urea.

When heated, the DEF splits into ammonia and carbon dioxide. These molecules are atomized and vaporized, then enter a mixer that resembles a corkscrew. This twist mixer evenly distributes the ammonia within the exhaust flow. The ammonia enters the SCR module, which contains a catalyzed substrate, and through chemical reactions combines and converts the NOx and ammonia into the harmless inert nitrogen and water. Dosing occurs between 200 and 500 degrees Celsius.

Step Three: Scrubbing Away the Soot – The final part of the cleansing system for the diesel exhaust gas involves the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The DPF traps any remaining soot, which is then periodically burned away, known as regenerating, when sensors detect the trap is full. The regeneration process sees temperatures in excess of 600 degrees Celsius to burn away soot.

16. Collapse Details

Just completed a makeover on the truck. It's ready to tow and I'm sick of this snow!

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Sharp!
    Boat-less...

18. Collapse Details

QUOTE=Griswald;544498]Sharp![/QUOTE]