1. Collapse Details
    502 mpi cam question
    I am looking for some suggestions on a cam for a 2000 502 mag mpi i did some mild porting to the heads and intake i also will be using cmi headers. I was told by my engine guy to use a comp cam # 01-451-8 hyd roller cam but i think it is too small i was also told to use a k11-244-4 hyd. flat tappet cam also a comp cam/ could someone help me out would like a cam to get the most reliable power of my motors thanks

2. Collapse Details

Your engine should be a hydraulic roller camshaft, factory GM style lifters. These lifters limit your lift to about .605-.610. The factory cam is 224/224 duration @ .050 on a 115 Lobe Separation Angle, i forget the lift. The largest cam I would select for a 502 is 230/236 duration @ .050 and put the LSA on a 114. Get a custom grind with as close to .600 lift as possible. Keep in mind you will need to change the non-adjustable rocker arms to a roller adjustable style of rocker arm to handle the lift. What computer does your engine have, the MEFI 1 or MEFI 3. The 1 is a rectangle shape about 3X 7 and the MEFI 3 is a square about 4X4. Either can be made to work, the MEFI 1 has less IAC control. The computer will need to be re-calibrated and I would cut the dividers out of the lower intake manifold air passages. I recommend you call Bob Madiera @ Marine Kinetics and talk with him 585-654-8583, he is very helpful with camshaft selection and can provide the product. Good Luck.

3. Collapse Details

thanks for the info i was going to call him on monday i have heard his is the one to call i have the mefi 3 computer i was thinking of going to a hyd. flat tappet cam or spending the money on new roller lifters if i would benifit from it going to larger cam then a 600 lift cam
    Last edited by 33OUTLAW; 12-19-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added info

4. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert/Competitor/Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33OUTLAW View Post
    thanks for the info i was going to call him on monday i have heard his is the one to call i have the mefi 3 computer i was thinking of going to a hyd. flat tappet cam or spending the money on new roller lifters if i would benifit from it going to larger cam then a 600 lift cam

I have a whole package I did for this engine that picks it up 100 HP and a computer program. Are you using silent choice ???
    The Michigan Madman
    url]www.crockettmarineengines.com[/url]

5. Collapse Details

I am going to be using cmi headers with silent choice diverters how much do you get for your 100 hp upgrade?could you send me some info and price on it to 33outlaw@comcast.net thanks

6. Collapse Details

Tyler, are you seeing these gains without modifying (cutting out the dividers) the lower intake runners and removing the tops down to the floor of the upper plenum?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Boat1 View Post
    Your engine should be a hydraulic roller camshaft, factory GM style lifters. These lifters limit your lift to about .605-.610. The factory cam is 224/224 duration @ .050 on a 115 Lobe Separation Angle, i forget the lift. The largest cam I would select for a 502 is 230/236 duration @ .050 and put the LSA on a 114. Get a custom grind with as close to .600 lift as possible. Keep in mind you will need to change the non-adjustable rocker arms to a roller adjustable style of rocker arm to handle the lift. What computer does your engine have, the MEFI 1 or MEFI 3. The 1 is a rectangle shape about 3X 7 and the MEFI 3 is a square about 4X4. Either can be made to work, the MEFI 1 has less IAC control. The computer will need to be re-calibrated and I would cut the dividers out of the lower intake manifold air passages. I recommend you call Bob Madiera @ Marine Kinetics and talk with him 585-654-8583, he is very helpful with camshaft selection and can provide the product. Good Luck.
    x2

8. Collapse Details

still no answer from tyler about his 500 hp upgrade kit

9. Collapse Details

still no answer from tyler about his 500 hp upgrade kit
    Give him a phone call.

10. Collapse Details

I am looking for some suggestions on a cam for a 2000 502 mag mpi i did some mild porting to the heads and intake i also will be using cmi headers. I was told by my engine guy to use a comp cam # 01-451-8 hyd roller cam but i think it is too small i was also told to use a k11-244-4 hyd. flat tappet cam also a comp cam/ could someone help me out would like a cam to get the most reliable power of my motors thanks
    If you are on a budget, I would go the flat tappet route, but if you dont have a budget, then I would call Bob. Your prices should be something like $550 per motor for the flat tappet and as much as $1800.00 per motor if you go with a hydraulic roller...assuming that you change the cam, lifters, springs, retainers, keepers, pushrods and rocker arms. Bob will want you to run his lifters...I strongly suggest it if you use his cam and I would not even consider using the stock lifters.