1. Collapse Details
    Hawk Racing Team???
    I use to see this on a bunch of boats back in the 80's...What did it mean? Did it have something to do with who did the rigging? I know that hawk had racing engines but i saw this on boats that had MerCruiser motors too.

Thanks for any information...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 021_21.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Hawk powered a lot of Cigarettes.. Race boats and cars often display sponsor decals when they don't actually use the product. The more a boat wins the more sponsors they seem to attract. That team won a lot!

3. Collapse Details

Alot of old Cigs use to run Hawk power and the ones that did always seemed to have a rendering of a hawk on the side of the boat mostly #35's & #38's but i could be wrong .

4. Collapse Details

I have a set of Hawk valve covers on the motor in my Pantera - not original by any means - but they look cool. I'll re-use them when I build the big motor - after I get off my azz and complete the boat...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Back in the 70's Jerry Jacoby bought a 35 foot Cigarette Mistress that he named JJ's Joint. He entered a few local club races in Miami and liked racing, so he stepped up and started racing on the APBA circuit.

Long story short, he convinced Don Aronow into blocking the 39 foot mold and pulling a 37 foot 6 inch hull out. They then took a 36 foot race deck and cut the overhang off....the 36 was 9'4" and the 37.6 was 8' beam.

The first race was Argentina. The boat was called AJAC HAWK. Jerry owned a transmission parts business in NY, named AJAC TRANSMISSIONS. The AJAC was for his wife Arlene Jacoby.

This 37.6 boat later became known as the Cigarette Top Gun.

He then started an engine company with Bobby Saccenti as a partner called Hawk Power. He used the engines and a lot of other teams did also. The decals you see are part of that engine program promotion. Plus, if you won a race with a sponsor's decal on the boat, you qualified for extra prize money from the sponsor.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

6. Collapse Details

hawkpower
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 038.jpg