Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1989 Python 24' - Project
    Registered
    I picked up a 1989 Python 24' Offshore Sport Cuddy (official name I think). My 15-year old son and I have been working on it for about 6 weeks at this point. Here is what it looked like when we towed it home...

Interior is in fair shape - so it will stay for the first year. Sun pad has to go however.

I got the boat at a discount because of its overall condition and the fact that it had a fracture in the hull. We stripped the boat down and repaired the hull first.

Floor in the cockpit was rotted too - so we replaced the plywood, re-glassed and gelcoated it.

Last weekend we painted her!

Wet sanding and buffing of the clear coat will be done tonight. I will post pictures as we make more progress. We are really excited about this little boat! I am sure I will have questions as we move forward - hopefully there are a few more Python owners still out there!

2. Collapse Details

Nice boat, and a good job, how was the transom? What power? I have a 24 Pantera which is essentially the same hull design, with a 250 outboard.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks for the kind words. We have a lot of work into it already with a lot more to go.

The transom has been replaced as have the stringers - so we are solid there.

The power is a Gen VI 502 crate motor. Should run in the low 70's...to start.

4. Collapse Details

Nice job. I was looking at this boat when it was up for sale. Glad to see it is getting redone. Keep it up

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. We have a lot of work into it already with a lot more to go.

The transom has been replaced as have the stringers - so we are solid there.

The power is a Gen VI 502 crate motor. Should run in the low 70's...to start.
    Nice,

I used to work on a race tem that ran a 24 Pantera with a 502, solid 70's boat.

here is a pic and video of mine, at the 27 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJn92joEsM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA130020.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Here is the boat I crewed on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqrTcX9PKs

7. Collapse Details

I can appreciate the amount of time and energy it takes to do a project like this,keep up the good work.

8. Collapse Details

I was right beside Scotty and Monty when they came out. Wild Ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chicken 1.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Pearl View Post
    I was right beside Scotty and Monty when they came out. Wild Ride!
    I crewed with Scotty that race, and the year before. I think that was his last race in the Pantera, as at the first Marathon that year, he lost a fuel pump, the next Marathon I drove for him while he was up north with the AMF boat, and his cusin' ran it in Sarasota. Following year he had the Platinum. Didnt realize you were in the chicken boat.

10. Collapse Details

They also ran Ft Lauderdale. They came out and did one lap and then went back in. Very rough that day.

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I owned that boat for 11 years and loved every minute in it. Take care of her and keep up the pics.
    This boat is formerly the cocktailcove.com boat and well known on Lake Lanier

12. Collapse Details

Hey Wisconsin !!! Mark, you and your son have done a "phenomenal" job with the python!! We are proud you saved her!! We knew she had the potential to be a great boat but like the original owner, we didn't have the time. Sorry we didn't get back with you on the "Python" logo. We do have you a few original "Python" items along with a Hotboat Performance Test I'm sending your way but none had the logo you wanted. Jim used a snake for the "P" in this brochure lol Sorry for all of the OSO drama....we forgot to post "SOLD" lol, but Beau straightened it out! Keep the pictures coming!!! We love'm!! You guys stay warm and Have a Very Merry Christmas, T & D

13. Collapse Details

Hey Merlin do you have a copy of the Hotboat performance test that you could send me or anybody that might have it? I would like to read it and see what they said about the boat. I am in the process of redoing my Python with a new transom, cleaning up the wiring, and rebuilding the motor. I just dynoed the motor yesterday and it made 451hp and 511 ft/lbs torque so it would be interesting to see what hp motor Hotboat was using.
    Thanks

14. Collapse Details

Nice looking boat.

Mine has the 502 / Bravo set up. Runs low 70`s on gps.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Any updates?

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Work has continued...but slowly. Winter took hold here in Wisconsin, so we had to improvise to get the boat and cars all in the garage.

We are snowmobilers, so we haven't spent as much time on the Python recently, but some things have been done. Some of the hardware is back on the boat and the engine bay has been painted. I am waiting for supplies to arrive so the we can run wires. The panels are cut for the floor replacement in the cabin but the glass work is still ahead of us to button up the inside. Windshield frame, dash panels and tabs are going our for powdercoating. Here are a few more shots...

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    More pics please.
    Did you not like the white powdercoated hardware?

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    I was OK with the "white-out" look, but it needed to be refinished, so I am going to add a bit of shiny back to the look. I am keeping the white-out windshield for sure.

I'll keep pictures coming as we make progress...I promise!

19. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I was always meaning to weld aluminum panel to the windshiels frame to make it more like a solid fairing.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    I was OK with the "white-out" look, but it needed to be refinished, so I am going to add a bit of shiny back to the look. I am keeping the white-out windshield for sure.

I'll keep pictures coming as we make progress...I promise!
    Snomad, Where you out of in Wi? I live in Johnson Creek. The boats looking great! Cant wait to see it on the water! You will love how it rides! My Dad and I had one a few years back but it was jet drive....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0064 - Copy.1.jpg   scan0065 - Copy.1.jpg   scan0066 - Copy.1.jpg