Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    I am headed to the sandblaster in the morning. W/S frame, trim tabs, dash are being blasted, then powdercoated next week.

Were you ever tempted to add external steering to the boat? I am wondering about adding it - plan to bump up the HP a bit...

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Yes it needs steering. What color on the dash panels?

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    J-Bonz:

I live in Sun Prairie and have a place on Lake Nokomis in Tomahawk. This boat will frequent the Madison Lakes, Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee, Door County and likely will harass the weekenders on Lake Nokomis occasionally!!

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    I am going to stick with the red dash panels...just freshen them up.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    J-Bonz:

I live in Sun Prairie and have a place on Lake Nokomis in Tomahawk. This boat will frequent the Madison Lakes, Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee, Door County and likely will harass the weekenders on Lake Nokomis occasionally!!
    Nice, we will have to try hooking up this summer! I am new transplant to WI. I still have not been on the madison lakes... Heck, I have only been out a few times in Milwaukee & Rock Lake before I dismantled my Scout... It would be great to follow someone that knows the area.

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Not trying to hijack thread but i miss that boat J. It looked a lot better being towed with the van. That was my first boat ride. Thanks for ruining my life.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    I am finally back with updates and pictures.

CMI mufflers installed. Bennet Sport Tabs powder-coated and new pump installed. Drive reinstalled after new gimbal and bellows. New trim limit switches. Repainted drive and installed new decals along with IMCO drive shower.

Engine compartment is done. Painted with Bilgecoat. Rewired and cleaned up all electrical. New (used) EMI Thunder manifolds. Installed blower (none on boat before). Reconfigured hatch lift ram.

Installed all new gauges and switches. Not quite done wiring interior lights yet so a couple of switches are not in. Decided to go with a twin stick shifter/throttle. Had to install a pod to accommodate it. Altered the side panel myself - note Frankenstein stitching! Installed a tethered kill switch and new steering wheel.

I cleaned up and rebuilt much of the interior myself. Don't want to drop the money this year - but next year it will have to happen. Most of the wood bases were rotted - so I made new and put the old foam/vinyl back on. Sun Pad on engine hatch was beyond salvage so it is new. Installed grab handles for panicked passengers. Cut holes for the new stereo gear that goes in next week.

New headliner is in. What a pain in the pooper this was! I had so much glue on me I thought I might be permanently stuck to the cabin floor! I built cabinets inside the cabin door to conceal the back of the dash, hold the stereo amps and provide some general storage space. Faces of the cabinets are removable for easier access (rather than squeeze into the small black doors).

Powdercoated the windshield frame and installed new white plexiglass. Cleaned up hatch covers and reinstalled once headliner was complete (yesterday).

I still have work to do - but am only a couple of weeks from splashing her. I still have to build a frame and mount my cabin doors (boat came with none). Have to lay carpet in cabin and cockpit. Install cockpit and cabin lighting and stereo.

8. Collapse Details

Great, now I feel really lazy!

It is coming along nicely!
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Nice work! Boat is looking good.

And I agree with Bobcat - you're making me look lazy...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

10. Collapse Details

Boat is looking good ,I feel for on time spent working in that cabin .

11. Collapse Details

Looks Great!!! I cant wait to see it out on the water!!

12. Collapse Details

I like the Caterpillar ignition switch most...LOL

Naaaa, just messing..looks awsome !

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    The CAT ignition is one of the few items that is staying intact as it was when I bought the boat! It is beefy!!

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Looks Good!
    I installed the Cat switch many years ago at a boat ramp when the keys got left at home and I had a switch and many keys in my truck. The switches are meant for extreme conditions and keys are always available.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rbr2328 View Post
    Looks Good!
    I installed the Cat switch many years ago at a boat ramp when the keys got left at home and I had a switch and many keys in my truck. The switches are meant for extreme conditions and keys are always available.
    I like your thinking!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    rbr:

At least I left something alone - huh!

Stereo is in and I am installing carpet Friday.

This girl is ready for the summer!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by snomad View Post
    The CAT ignition is one of the few items that is staying intact as it was when I bought the boat! It is beefy!!
    COOL, i have some of those keys...so when i wanna go for a ride ( if im ever up there ) dont worry..i bring here back fueled up and in one piece !!!

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    I have been busting butt the past few days...and she finally got we today!

Stereo went in last wek and I went to work on the rest beginning Thursday night. Cabin, including hull sides were carpeted in red. Installed lighting, built a door for the anchor locker and covered it with carpet. Cockpit was carpeted in red too. Had to pull and reinstall speakers, which include heavy duty grills to prevent damage. Framed the top carpet seams with 90* aluminum angle. Built a frame for my cabin doors and rough fit them. installed the interior and engine bay hatch cover. Put it on the hose this morning and she fired quickly.

We decided to splash it early this afternoon. It went well overall for a first shake-down run. The trim was acting up due to a bad positive connection. It was cavitating bad coming onto plane. Might be the drive shower pick up (damn!). I wasn't getting the RPM I should, but that is probably due to the finicky trim switch and it seems it doesnt get enough fuel at WOT. I will order a rebuild kit for the edelbrock 1410 tomorrow and go through it.

All in all, it was a decent first run. More work to do, primarily tuning and tweaking. The boat is out of the garage though and the tasks ahead involve being on th water.

Pictures to follow?..

19. Collapse Details

Sounds good, which lake did you hit? It was pretty breezy out this afternoon. It had to love the chop!!

20. Collapse Details

Pics !!!! congrats on taking her out!
    Parabellum FJ²B