Thread: Your neibor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    If everyone is lined up in a line this is not a problem as long as the line isn't too close behind the pace boat.
    Good point. It's really up to the inside boat to set the location of the line up. The line should be about 50 feet behind the pace boat, not in line with the pace boat.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Good starts take practice from everybody involved.

I enjoyed the parade lap, line up and start the best. I feel it gives everyone the opportunity to find their position while reducing the haste and anxiety of the moment. Most often resulting in a good fair start.

Quick starts like SBI does are OK once you know the routine but, too much is left to chance and luck of the draw. Someone usually gets F'd. The race shouldn't be decided in the mill IMO.

The other extreme is when boats are held too long.. which inevitably leads to a problem in the first turn. Again no good.

Ron you have found a good balance and it seems to me to work well.

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    I,m not harboring any hard feelings ,,really ,it was just a point for ALL of us to learn by..I know we will learn by trial and error,,, i,m a happy guy ,really Bruce ,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

4. Collapse Details

We used to do the flying start. The problem arose, with boat count. The parade lap turned into mass caios with everyone trying to get their lane and position. So much time was spent trying to hold a lane, and then go to the start, that no one was able to look around and find Bouys, and reference points on the coarse. Kinda defeated the purpose of a parade lap. Once we went to a parade lap, drop, and restart. The purpose of the parade lap was useful. Not to say we can't change, just it is much safer. I agree, the start of the race is crucial. Thanks MR Polli, and Bob Owen. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I remember in 2000 I think, We were at the worlds in F1. The water was big that year and the outside leg was big. There was Orange Lavy Craft with a couple of guys from California in it. They were leading on the last lap and we had to catch them to win. That last lap Murry and myself just said What ever happens lets go for it and hold it down. Everything was good until we turned at turn 1. We were approx 6 boats behind with only 2 straight to go. I have never been so scared in my life than doing that leg between 1 and 2. We passed them before turn 2 going into the harbor. We won the worlds that year and had to clean out our pants when we got in. Talking to them after the race they said they have never seen a boat that far out of the water that many times in one stretch. I hope I never have to do it again!!!!! But will!!!
    Randy
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Just laughing to myself at all the great times I have had with all of you. I dont remember what year it was but it was the first race of the year and we had to shovel the snow off the F1 boat to get there to Florida. It was a APBA race and I brought a cooler full of snow from back home and had a snowball fight with the teams in the pits.
    There was the time we had a contest in the pits to see who could hange on the longest being pulled by Eric Cormeir in his golf cart. We has a 25' piece of rope and we were rideing on some piece of plastic we found in the parking lot. After an hour and lots of people trying Trophy Bit$h won for the longest ride. I remember Jimmy was all cut up and bleading all over his arm. We all laughed so hard while we were doing it and the old man was tougher than all of us.
    MD

7. Collapse Details

The old basterd is still tougher than all of us Randy!

8. Collapse Details

Isnt it funny how many of those old guys are still hanging in there? Guys like George,Miklos,Smitty,Teague.Damn those guys gotta be in there 70s aren't they? LMAO!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Trophy is the best. The Dog Pound was in full swing when you had Murray, Big Eddie and Trophy with you.

I'll never forget standing in the pits in Pickwick, talking to Randy while leaning up against Wide Card - Wil Ross's boat. Mid sentance Randy whips it out and pisses on Wild Card's trailer, he even lifted his leg like a good dog. Right in the middle of EVERYTHING.

I probably had the most fun while writing for Extreme Boats. I got to attend all the races, talk to everyone, listen to fun stories and take some photos...sometimes even get to watch and take pics from a chopper.

I asked Smitty, "You ever going to stop doing this?" His reply - No, what else would I do on weekends? I feel the same way.

Racing - the spice of life!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trophy girls.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Damn Doug ,, I worked on my first raceboat in 1969 ( Miami Marine Stadium), and offshore boat in 1972 ? ( the Magnum " Starfire " ) Damn maybe I am 70 ,,,

11. Collapse Details

Pickwick ,,isn,t that the place where a guy ran thru the lobby at 2 in the am with no cloths on ,,( i think Spenser )

12. Collapse Details

Trophy looks like he has lip stick on. I hope its from kissing the girls.

Other great times: What is better than putting kids in your boat and letting them wear the helmets and get there pics. from there parents. The looks on there face is priceless when you ask them if they want to get in. Yes its a liability if someone was to slip and get hurt but its worth the risk for our team. Again Trophy is always the lead guy lifting the kids. In OB we had a line of at least 20 kids waiting there turn. Some have hot mon's Trophy says!
    MD

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Pickwick ,,isn,t that the place where a guy ran thru the lobby at 2 in the am with no cloths on ,,( i think Spenser )
    I missed that photo op. Who is Spenser?

14. Collapse Details

he was the guy who bought ,,kiss of fire ..he also was with Steve Page ,,

he could make RANDY look like angel

15. Collapse Details

One of my favorites was the look on Randys face when he got beat by two girls at once.LOL Love ya Randy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photos 295.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Damn Doug ,, I worked on my first raceboat in 1969 ( Miami Marine Stadium), and offshore boat in 1972 ? ( the Magnum " Starfire " ) Damn maybe I am 70 ,,,
    You took that well George! I was waiting to get ripped for that one.Must be Smitty hasn't seen it yet!! lol

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    How many times when you are racing do look at the boat next to you and say they look like they are floating on air. In the mean time you are getting the $hit kicked out of you. When I race against Superboat Eddy I get that feeling. and then when we get to the dock he says the same thing to me. I remember many races looking out the side or in front saying those guys are crazy!!! Whats your best memory?
    MD
    Just came accross this. I cant tell you how many times Ive ask Mark during a race "How come were getting the **** beat out of us and Randy looks like he's on a Sunday Drive, what the Hell am I doing wrong"

The profile pic to the left is from Pt. Pleasent, I was running a 3 blade prop for the first time and could not get on plane, was pointed the wrong direction on one of those smoke and go SBI starts, we started a quarter to half mile behind the fleet and finished 100' behind you, one of my best memories, the boat was 10 to 15 feet in the air most of the race, cracked block, broke motor mounts, broke all 3 pumps and the Gimble Ring.
    Last edited by fastedy; 12-17-2010 at 02:58 AM.

18. Collapse Details

I had one of those days after the DAYTONA LLC race ,,i think it was 2001 ,,everything broke ,,finished 1st in p-5 and 8 th over all,, in a 1968 magnum ,!! a guy ( i won,t mention his name) walked by the DERANGED and laughed ,said ,,I DIDN,T KNOW WE WERE RUNNING VINTAGE CLASS ,THEN LAUGHED ,,,he didn,t finish , and we beat him all year..we had a blast ,,

19. Collapse Details

George Call Me freeze Frame Jeff at 239-282-1987 Left 7 mesages no call back Happy Hoildays

20. Collapse Details

I use to LOVE the starts. They were exciting and terrifying all at the same time.
    I also use to hate the starts for the same reasons.
    I remember races like Atlanta GA, when we looked over to see theDelany Brothers next to us, taking HUGE flights and running everything but rightside up and thinking, "Wow they got balls!" Then after the race, they would come over to us with big grins saying "Holy Crap YOU guys are NUTS!"
    Abbysomeone