Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    can I run a 1/4 # more in the right front?
    Only at your own risk!

In all seriousness
    I think Smitty and Ron were just checking to see if we could read!
    Steve

2. Collapse Details

Glad I did'nt commision a new 32' (running surface) Phantom, per the previous rules.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    I predict weight will become a point of conflict when a quad step boat is introduced.
    The Outerlimits will be a quad step.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've read it over several times. I think, even though there are a couple things I don't agree with, what a great set of rules with a beginning point that makes sense.

And Mark, you really should call about the old Grandfather clause for your boat. Guys??????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    I spoke to Mark, he's good to go. We just need to dyno his motor and take it for a spin to see what it's got.

Hi Ray, we look forward to you joining the SVL Ranks. The rules you saw were only a DRAFT while we were seeking input. It was that input that made taught us to keep the boats at 30' from bow to transom and allowing an overall legnth of 32 so George and Steve can keep their new bolt ons. A 32' running surface would clearly have an advantage in rough water.

6. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I've read it over several times. I think, even though there are a couple things I don't agree with, what a great set of rules with a beginning point that makes sense.

And Mark, you really should call about the old Grandfather clause for your boat. Guys??????
    Paul their is / was no " grand father " clause for parity allowances..it was applied for and granted each year at the begining of the racing season ,,and after the new fountain bottom was installed ,,i doubt it would have been granted ,,
    also that was OSS ,,THIS IS OPA ,,were moving foward in a great new direction ,, a great class ,,great people,,great schedule,,,
    great racing,,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

7. Collapse Details

If you realy wanted to help the older boats you could put a 29" pitch rule in. That would max all our boats out at 91MPH which is what most of us are all capable of running. A 31" 6 blade with a low slip will still go 95MPH all day long. Id like to see a 90 MPH max speed for this class. That would include everyone. Some would just excelarate better but a slower boat could make it up possably with better lines.
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

8. Collapse Details

what is in your water ,,they already have that class ,,,it,s called p-3,, are you trying to build a class where you don,t have to think,?? or do you want people to run the two propellers you have. it,s called racing ,,you have to think ,,work,,test,,that is just what racing is,,besides know matter what the rules are the cream will always rise to the top,,

9. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    what is in your water ,,they already have that class ,,,it,s called p-3,, are you trying to build a class where you don,t have to think,?? or do you want people to run the two propellers you have. it,s called racing ,,you have to think ,,work,,test,,that is just what racing is,,besides know matter what the rules are the cream will always rise to the top,,
    wow

10. Collapse Details

Randy, congratulations again on your 2010
    Opa world championship, and
    Sbi world championship...

11. Collapse Details

Yeh I must just be a lazy dumb a$$ with just 2 props. I must also not give a $hit about my fellow racers that dont have a 94 mph boat. Correct me if im wrong but Smitty said this class in OPA is about everyone being as equal as possable where ANY boat could win on any given day. Well let me help you out George NO 90 MPH boat is going to beat a 94 MPH boat in St. Clair. I believe thats why OPA is putting GPS units in our boats to adjust parity if some one is running 94 and the rest of the pack is running 90. So you keep doing your testing and keep going 94 and get ready for the weight to be throw'n in your boat untill you get slowed down to 90 - 92 again. And please dont complain about how you were miss treated and its unfair. Smitty if I am wrong please tell us.
    Now if you want to test,test and test and come out with a rocket that will wax the field you better call Martin at P1. Thats a completly differant style that I think you are refuring to. And at that he has the right to put weight in your boat for parity.
    MD

12. Collapse Details

so maybe i could win one race ,,,that is the trade off i choose ,,you can set up for rough and will win ,,their are checks and balances and trade offs,,i,m not asking you to go 60 in the rough because i can,t go any faster ,,
    if we have the SAME BOATS why would anybody put weight in the faster one ?? i believe the parity is aimed at OLD TECH,(12 YR OLD BOATS ) AND NEW TECH ( MULTI STEP NOTCHED BOTTOM ECT)

and yes you are the badest in all the land,,with many titles ,,i,ll see ya on the race course,,,
    Last edited by imco offshore; 12-11-2010 at 06:35 PM.

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    I'm sorry Randy I have to interject on this one. You beat us at St Clair in 2009. Our top speed was 93 down stream and 90 up stream, and your saying your boat won't go that fast now? How about at the gold cup? We were running a solid 93 and you were out my window the whole time. Maybe you just need to install a larger screen on your GPS. I think the rules are heading in the right direction but am a little concerned about the tire rule. We like to run on the wild side and don't have a spare. I do have to say I am interested in seeing what kind of new boats we get, it's kind of hard to believe anything after the years of tire kicking. Just my 2 cents. Oh and Randy since your better in rough water can we get an advantage by your boat running with one tab down? Just a thought.

Love "the girl that kicks your a$$"
    Jenni

14. Collapse Details

I AGREE ,, TRUCE IS IN ORDER,,

MIKE i like randy ,,he is a great racer,,,we already have a great set of rules ,,lets use them and see if they need any adjustments ,,
    Last edited by imco offshore; 12-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Tough crowd. You guys a little competitive? I promise we wlll work with your class, and do whatever it takes. I am certain if we get going in a good direction there are Opa open cocpit teams looking to join in. I am getting calls. Great class. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

16. Collapse Details

Im not saying my boat has never hit 93 MPH. Yes it has! What I am saying is Bruce,Octain,Mini Me have never hit 92. Im not thinking of myself but others. I will stay out of this and let it take its course.
    MD

17. Collapse Details

i,m with you ,,it will all work out ,lets give it a chance,,, we can only offer to help eachother,,,as for bruce he will be tough when we hit the big water races so he will get his shot,,,Lance ????DON,T UNDERESTIMATE HIM ,,HE IS A TRUE RACER ,,this is only
    his second year watch out !!!,,and MARK,S activator well they have some great talent inside that canopy,, Randy, I realy don,t see anyone dominating this year..it,s going to be a great dog fight (no pun) down to the end,,this is going to be a fun year for all..

18. Collapse Details

Sounds like weight is already a hot topic. It's a good thing the Orgs are running the class now.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Paul their is / was no " grand father " clause for parity allowances..it was applied for and granted each year at the begining of the racing season ,,and after the new fountain bottom was installed ,,i doubt it would have been granted ,,
    also that was OSS ,,THIS IS OPA ,,were moving foward in a great new direction ,, a great class ,,great people,,great schedule,,,
    great racing,,,
    The way I read the rules, each year would be fine if they are followed through the balance of that year. It looks as if the parity issue with multi steps, dominant boats winning back-to-back-to-back, etc are addressed with a reasonable parity clause. (How it shakes out long term is up to all. No one can say they didn't listen).

That is what I was saying to Mark, chat with you guys and Smitty and see if that Grandfather clause from last year in the other orgs could be added to his boat for this season. He has certainly worked a lot to make the boat SVL legal under the old rules. And, he did it with positive influence from all of you. I'm glad to hear it's been handled. I was one who pushed him towards the old legal SVL package after Key West last year, after talking with you.

Now, what's the chances of making a parity clause for the Ilmor guys to start a project SVL 10 cylinder, dyno tested to the same HP as the other two allowed, sealed by the OPA, and using only a Bravo style drive currently approved? It looks to me as if the new stepped hull rules were applied, and the Dyno results were identical to the Merc and GM, it would be a reasonable place to start.

And, since I'm on a roll as a trouble-maker currently, applying the parity clause to the other classes? Specially the other spec ones?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Im not saying my boat has never hit 93 MPH. Yes it has! What I am saying is Bruce,Octain,Mini Me have never hit 92. Im not thinking of myself but others. I will stay out of this and let it take its course.
    MD
    Randy come for a ride