1. Collapse Details
    Fountain eliminates factory-direct purchases
    Fountain Powerboats is discontinuing its factory-direct Fountain Factory Superstore, the company announced today.

"The factory superstore was an effective interim selling solution prior to Fountain's reorganization, but today retail interest is on the rise, our dealers are gaining confidence in our new management team and other dealers are taking notice," COO John Walker said in a statement.

"Overall, the mood surrounding Fountain Powerboats is very encouraging and we are enacting new strategies that serve our long-term vision for the company," he added.

Previously, potential retail customers in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia were offered the option of purchasing boats directly through the factory superstore, via its website and dedicated factory sales staff. This practice is discontinued, effective immediately.

"Providing Fountain's end customers with a positive service experience is crucial and there's no better way to assure such an experience than by partnering closely with a strong dealer network," Walker said. "With that in mind, the decision was made to allow our dealers to do what they do best while we refocus our own efforts on supporting them."

Washington, N.C.-based Fountain Powerboats produces an array of fishing boats, express cruisers and high-performance boats ranging in size from 29 to 47 feet.

Last month, Fountain's parent company, Liberty Associates, said it was moving the manufacturing of two other brands - Donzi and Pro-Line - to Fountain's North Carolina plant.

Liberty also announced plans to relaunch Baja as a stand-alone brand.

2. Collapse Details

Good news for us Fountain dealers and future customers.

3. Collapse Details

I worked for Baja Marine, and purchased many boats that had to be sold through a Baja dealer period! Even employees could not buy direct. Good move for Liberty.

XT

4. Collapse Details

Any manufacturer worth spitting on would NEVER sell direct to the public if they have dealers in place to sell the product.

Any product in my store that can be bought off the internet from the manufacturer cheaper than what I can buy it for is promptly pulled off the shelves regardless of name brand.

I can't believe Fountain did it to begin with. They were slapping their dealers in the face by doing it.

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

5. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Any manufacturer worth spitting on would NEVER sell direct to the public if they have dealers in place to sell the product.

Any product in my store that can be bought off the internet from the manufacturer cheaper than what I can buy it for is promptly pulled off the shelves regardless of name brand.

I can't believe Fountain did it to begin with. They were slapping their dealers in the face by doing it.

Buck
    Exactly
    Abbysomeone

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post

Buck
    Not with the prices they were quoting they did the dealers a favor!Hey I won't mention the brandBut lets not forget the shark waters out thereI went to boat show way back dealer quote 1 price owner chase you in bathroom lower price AKA Back door the dealer and it was not Fountain

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    Not with the prices they were quoting they did the dealers a favor!Hey I won't mention the brandBut lets not forget the shark waters out thereI went to boat show way back dealer quote 1 price owner chase you in bathroom lower price AKA Back door the dealer and it was not Fountain

If the pricing given by any manufacturer is as high or higher than the price quoted by the dealer it's a wash for me. Whoever has the inventory desired wins out there. Although it would still be in the manufacturer's favor to see to it that the dealer has every option to make the sale.

I guess my statement would be more directed at anyone using this practice and not so much singling out Fountain. If they did/do it, then shame on them. If not, then fine. If someone else is/was doing it, then shame on them too.

As a dealer for certain products (non boat related) I bust my butt to represent a product line and make a name for it. If that product is sold cheaper through the factory they have made a huge ethical mistake IMO.

Peace...

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.