Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Powerboat Magazine????
    I let my subscription run out after I moved. Have bought issue's and have noticed their quality has gone down hill big time. Cheap paper and not gloss nice. At least the news stand variety. Thinking of renewing but don't want if the subscription version is a recession cut back version. Is it?

2. Collapse Details

Got my lattest issue of Powerboat the other day. Yea it's not what it use to be,the news stands issures are the same. I really really miss the pre/recession days of PB. If you'll notice there arn't near as many advertisers as there use to be. The mag. lost many of there adds before they shrank. If we suscribers get fustrated and cancel or not renew there will be no Pb at all. I'd rather have a bimonthly skimpy mag (flyer) than none at all. Its still not a bad deal for the price. Don

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    Got my lattest issue of Powerboat the other day. Yea it's not what it use to be,the news stands issures are the same. I really really miss the pre/recession days of PB. If you'll notice there arn't near as many advertisers as there use to be. The mag. lost many of there adds before they shrank. If we suscribers get fustrated and cancel or not renew there will be no Pb at all. I'd rather have a bimonthly skimpy mag (flyer) than none at all. Its still not a bad deal for the price. Don

4. Collapse Details
    hold on
    was it the Dec ishue ? they were going to mention the Toys for Tots Tour there

5. Collapse Details

I picked up a copy at the newstand a few months ago for the first time in about three yrs that I let my subscript go.
    It was maybe 65-75 pages.
    I was always used to getting 110-130 pages. Even if many were ads, I liked looking at them while taking care of morning business. I always liked looking at the listings of used stuff from the dealers ads, but I don't imagine the dealers are spending a lot of money on adverts right now either. It's all a big circle - Everybody selling, nobody buying, no income to dealers - no money for adverts - no magazine ads - no magazines generating interest and excitement - a slow down in events - less articles for magazines - everybody selling...etc
    Oh. and this pesky internet thing that is really cutting into the print world. Although, Myself, I appreciate some good to read on paper in the morning.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

I'll subscribe--just looking through my old magazine collection to put some in my bathroom/library reading rotation. Some Extreme and Hotboat, that are missed now and don't want to see Powerboat go down the same road. Just looking at my old issue's with last months issue. Had me going wow--are they worth spending money on! Decided yes and have mailed in the form and also decided to add Performance Boat too!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by endeavor1 View Post
    X2

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by raceboatrus View Post
    was it the Dec ishue ? they were going to mention the Toys for Tots Tour there
    It is in there.
    BillR

9. Collapse Details

We race and I can't believe how poor the race coverage is. It's always the same 3 boats.

10. Collapse Details

I got the mag for over 15 years and let it slip thru the cracks last year just because i felt it just was not worth the money and for all of the same reasons stated above .

11. Collapse Details

While I completely understand everyone's frustration with the smaller magazine, please realize that the magazine is doing what it can to sustain and be around for the long run so we can produce 100- to 130-page issues again. I've been on staff for six years, and was here when we produced our largest issue ever — 140 pages in March 2007. Times have changed in this business (obviously, as there aren't a lot of "booming" performance boat builders), and the magazine has been through ups and downs like this throughout its 40-plus years.

And, as with any business, our company doesn't produce magazines in the powersports/recreation market to lose money, so cutbacks were inevitable as the economy worsened. No one likes it, but it's the reality.

Obviously our staff still strives to provide the best go-fast boat coverage possible with what we have to work with, and I firmly believe no one does it better than us. In fact, you'll notice in the latest issue that we've redesigned some things to get more information and event coverage into the magazine. You'll also see an increase in pages for 2011 starting with our March/April issue, it's not a lot, but it's a step in the right direction. And hopefully by 2012, we'll be able to increase our frequency again ... it might not be back up to 11 issues like it was in 2008, but I foresee producing at least 8 or 9 issues.

I'd also like to suggest checking out www.powerboatmag.com as we've got steady news coverage, online videos and photo galleries, and the best blogs in the business with writers such as Oh Boy! Oberto hydroplane racer Steve David, Miss GEICO driver Marc Granet, offshore enthusiast Tank Sears, longtime Powerboat contributor Dick DeBartolo, tunnel boat racer Shaun Torrente, and our newest contributor Lucas Oil offshore racer Nigel Hook. Check out his new blog:
    http://www.powerboatmag.com/nigel-hook-s-blog/

In regard to the poor race coverage comment, I think you'll notice our coverage in the last couple of issues has been much stronger. And I don't agree that it's always the same boats. In fact, our coverage from Orange Beach, Ala., was solid, and our upcoming feature on the Key West Worlds will be the same. Unfortunately we don't have a budget to cover races too frequently, but we'll be trying to track down more via interviews and local photographers in 2011.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm regarding Powerboat — especially yours Don, we appreciate the support, we need it from subscribers You guys are the ones who we produce this magazine for and you're also the reason advertisers value our publication as much as they do. Please feel free to e-mail anytime with concerns, suggestions, etc.

-Jason Johnson
    jason@powerboatmag.com

12. Collapse Details

I REALLY miss the old Hot Boat. Flyntt style!! The near death versions really pi$$ed me off. I didn't get f'd out of my sub $$ or t-shirts like alot of folks. But seeing my favorite head down the toilet like that was sad. I couldn't believe when they had some dumb bi+cH writing about dockside footwear, who wore what watch, and elementary digital camera basics. That might not have been too slow, but it was a painful death to watch happen.
    RIP (flyntt version) Burn in he__ later rag!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    I REALLY miss the old Hot Boat. Flyntt style!! The near death versions really pi$$ed me off. I didn't get f'd out of my sub $$ or t-shirts like alot of folks. But seeing my favorite head down the toilet like that was sad. I couldn't believe when they had some dumb bi+cH writing about dockside footwear, who wore what watch, and elementary digital camera basics. That might not have been too slow, but it was a painful death to watch happen.
    RIP (flyntt version) Burn in he__ later rag!!

I'm also into jets and v-drives, and Flynt version was the best! I remember reading that chicks first column after the change and going oh no this is bad!!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JaJo View Post
    While I completely understand everyone's frustration with the smaller magazine, please realize that the magazine is doing what it can to sustain and be around for the long run so we can produce 100- to 130-page issues again. I've been on staff for six years, and was here when we produced our largest issue ever — 140 pages in March 2007. Times have changed in this business (obviously, as there aren't a lot of "booming" performance boat builders), and the magazine has been through ups and downs like this throughout its 40-plus years.

And, as with any business, our company doesn't produce magazines in the powersports/recreation market to lose money, so cutbacks were inevitable as the economy worsened. No one likes it, but it's the reality.

Obviously our staff still strives to provide the best go-fast boat coverage possible with what we have to work with, and I firmly believe no one does it better than us. In fact, you'll notice in the latest issue that we've redesigned some things to get more information and event coverage into the magazine. You'll also see an increase in pages for 2011 starting with our March/April issue, it's not a lot, but it's a step in the right direction. And hopefully by 2012, we'll be able to increase our frequency again ... it might not be back up to 11 issues like it was in 2008, but I foresee producing at least 8 or 9 issues.

I'd also like to suggest checking out www.powerboatmag.com as we've got steady news coverage, online videos and photo galleries, and the best blogs in the business with writers such as Oh Boy! Oberto hydroplane racer Steve David, Miss GEICO driver Marc Granet, offshore enthusiast Tank Sears, longtime Powerboat contributor Dick DeBartolo, tunnel boat racer Shaun Torrente, and our newest contributor Lucas Oil offshore racer Nigel Hook. Check out his new blog:

In regard to the poor race coverage comment, I think you'll notice our coverage in the last couple of issues has been much stronger. And I don't agree that it's always the same boats. In fact, our coverage from Orange Beach, Ala., was solid, and our upcoming feature on the Key West Worlds will be the same. Unfortunately we don't have a budget to cover races too frequently, but we'll be trying to track down more via interviews and local photographers in 2011.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm regarding Powerboat — especially yours Don, we appreciate the support, we need it from subscribers You guys are the ones who we produce this magazine for and you're also the reason advertisers value our publication as much as they do. Please feel free to e-mail anytime with concerns, suggestions, etc.

-Jason Johnson
    jason@powerboatmag.com

Maybe put some stuff in there more geared to the do it yourself boater and cover some smaller events also that. Just a thought

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Jason, I'm still waiting for my mag to arrive this month but I've gotten a few calls saying what a great job you did of covering the OPA Worlds in Orange Beach. Of course Jamie takes great photos and that always helps.

It was a pleasure spending time with Matt at the races, thanks for sending him.

I look forward to my 20th year as a Powerboat Subscriber.

Ron

16. Collapse Details

I used to pick up most issues at Penn station in NY when I used to do that commute. I moved to FL and kind of lost track of the magazine. Somehow, I ended up with a free subscription a few months back, and although the pages are fewer, I still really enjoy reading it. When this freebie dries up, I'll pony up to keep it going.

Just glad they're still around. Can't say that about a lot of boating mags.

17. Collapse Details

Anyone ever read Family and Performace boating...?
    Or something like that...
    That seemed like it was a pretty cool read, but I have not seen or hear of it in a while.
    I know it was part of a big publishing conglomeration, I am guessing the whole "family" went under.

18. Collapse Details

Power boat still a good read still subscribe

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Jason, I'm still waiting for my mag to arrive this month but I've gotten a few calls saying what a great job you did of covering the OPA Worlds in Orange Beach. Of course Jamie takes great photos and that always helps.

It was a pleasure spending time with Matt at the races, thanks for sending him.

I look forward to my 20th year as a Powerboat Subscriber.

Ron
    I've already read mine twice.

It is a nice article with good pics. Terri is in one of them (barely).....

Of course I'm prejudiced, but Matt did an outstanding job on the SVL coverage.

And, I think I have you beat for number of years as a subcriber. I always look forward to mine coming. I can't imagine letting the subscription lapse. I'll have to dig in my boxes and see what the oldest issue I've kept is. I know it will be a West Coast performance boat test issue being an Oregon boy......

How bout those Ducks???????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JaJo View Post

-Jason Johnson
    jason@powerboatmag.com
    New boat market may be on life support still.....bust what about used? Some articles on refurbing/updating older boats would be interesting....or maybe even a then and now type thing....how does a boat at it's peak technologically 15 years ago stand up to newer competition on a bang for buck scale?