1. Collapse Details
    Axle Bearings/Lubrication
    I need to service the axles of a couple of boat trailers this winter. What are your opinions of the different types of lubrication systems? Regular old bearing buddies and grease? Oil bath bearings? Compy system? Both trailers will see less than 2000 miles/yr. Thanks for any opinions!

2. Collapse Details

I like "Sta-Lube" axles or whatever the brand name is...
    Crossed drilled spindles that have a zerk fitting on the end covered by an open cap and grease gets injected between inner and outer bearings!!

They work way better than a bearing buddy trying to push grease from outside the outer, through the space between, then into the inner.

Only things folks don't like is trying to clean up inside after pushing TOO much all the way through.

My boat trailer had buddys, but when I built my utility trailer, I found the spindles!
    I think it would be worthwhile to drill/tap spindles to do similar!

3. Collapse Details

Bearing buddys are more for making a little pressure to keep out water and dirt, you never want to fill the whole cavity with grease. More grease makes more heat, heat will kill your bearings faster than water will. You only need enough grease in your bearing to completly fill the cage between the cage & inner race and outside the cage between the rollers & outer race. filling the cavity between the outer & Inner Bearings is too much grease, it will (depending on how long of trip) make enough heat to push grease out the seals OR push the seal or bearing buddy out of it's position...

4. Collapse Details

Does anyone make the clear plastic bearing covers with the rubber plugs. Like are on the semi trailers to use gear oil to lube bearings. I pull a Black Thunder 46 and had a problem every time out . Either the bearing cover falls off, the brakes stick and starts smoking. I even had a wheel just fall off going down the road. The Manning trailer had all chinese bearings and the outer races would crack in a tight turn. I changed to Timkin and no problem. The clear caps would be nice and easy to check on the road and should be fine. Anyone use them.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BDARCHER View Post
    Does anyone make the clear plastic bearing covers with the rubber plugs. Like are on the semi trailers to use gear oil to lube bearings. I pull a Black Thunder 46 and had a problem every time out . Either the bearing cover falls off, the brakes stick and starts smoking. I even had a wheel just fall off going down the road. The Manning trailer had all chinese bearings and the outer races would crack in a tight turn. I changed to Timkin and no problem. The clear caps would be nice and easy to check on the road and should be fine. Anyone use them.
    I better check my Manning........
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Sounds like the tried and true bearing buddies are still the way to go. I agree that most failures with these are from folks pumping them full and blowing out the seals. If a guy does not do that, and you let them cool down before dunking, there should be no problem. I have used them for 30 years with no trouble, I just thought that maybe there would be something else out there.

7. Collapse Details

The type of bearing cap you are talking about are used on commercial trucks,with oil filled axel bearings. The co. that makes them is "Stemco". I found their web site, but did not see any application other than commercial, however that does not mean the boat trailer application doesn't exist, expecially on larger trailers. Maybe check with a Stemco supplier.

8. Collapse Details

WOW, i guess im lucky b/c i never once had any bearing failure on the 35, 40 or the two 45 mannings ive owned. Better be lucky than good i guess. Good info though Bobby.
    Last edited by endeavor1; 11-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.

9. Collapse Details

We rebuilt our manning with the clear/plastic covers. I can't remember what all the specifics are on it anymore. We just change the grease every 2-3k miles and we haven't had a single issue.

Also, for what its worth, when we rebuilt our trailer, we got everything from http://www.redneck-trailer.com/index.htm

10. Collapse Details

Does anyone prefer one type of grease?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CNC View Post
    We use the penzoil stuff. Haven't really had any issues.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CNC View Post

If you Check/Re-do your bearings regularly you can use Synthetic Grease, "BUT" Synthetic Grease doesn't have the Petrolium Properties to Keep the seals soft and they can (and usually will) dry up/Get Hard and Crack. there are some good specialty greases to use if you Dunk your trailer, Timken even make special coated bearings for the same situation.

13. Collapse Details

You can check here for an assortment of grease caps, ect.
    http://www.easternmarine.com/Dust-Caps-Oil-Caps/